Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So my grief counselor has suggested I try Wellbutrin. Things have been especially bad for me lately because its coming up on the 1 year anniversary of my friend's suicide. We've also been exploring some buried emotions from my brother's death that I never really got over (apparently drowning them in alcohol didn't make them go away ;(. ). At this point I'm having difficulties experiencing any sort of emotion besides sadness.....most of my days are spent going through the motions and putting on a show for others and quite frankly I'm exhausted. She thinks the Wellbutrin will help me with the biochemical issues I may be having that are hindering my healing process. So I'm going in to see my PCP on Friday to get his OK for the Rx.

So anyone else taking it for depression? How's it working for you? Just wondering if there are any weight loss/weight gain/appetite issues I could expect by taking this medication. Any other weird side effects? I've taken Prozac and other SSRIs in the past for anxiety and stress, but the main problem was I could not sleep while on them. Not sleeping was worse than the reasons I was taking them in the first place so I had to stop.

I am taking it and really like it. I have battled depression for years and have taken various meds. I haven't noticed any side-effects.

I did start taking it pre-op and there was an initial weight loss, but I don't think it is continuous.

I hope it helps. I know how difficult it can be to address any serious issue when I am also depressed. It sounds like you have a good therapist helping you address some very significant things.

Sending hugs.

I have taken it in the past and it was very helpful.

I took it years ago. It reduced my appetite and I lost weight, about 20 pounds if I recall correctly.

I've been on everything out there but have not had Wellbutrin.

I deal with a lot of grief in my line of work. Just last week a client of mine died of a drug overdose. I took it way too hard to just have been his counselor so I've had to explore those feelings. Just keep at it. It gets better.

I have taken it and it gave me a full blown panic attack. The doctor prescribed it to me for anxiety - which was a horrible idea. I have a good friend who takes it for depression and she loves it. But if you suffer from any kind of anxiety it might not be the best med for you.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

we used to call them happy pills. wellbutrin has that side effect on me of giving me a stupid smile half the time.

but i feel for you. If you ever need to talk to a stranger, and heck im sure strange err. lol just give a shout.

I take it and love it. It gives you energy and I lost weight when I started taking them too. Only thing I can say if you start taking them is take it in the morning or you'll have trouble sleeping (seriously gives you energy)

Sent from my SM-G903W using the BariatricPal App

I, too travel the same path. The anniversary of my S.O.'s suicide on the morning of my sleeve surgery is approaching. My heart cries for you, my friend.

I have fibromyalgia and take Cymbalta for that. Cymbalta is also an antidepressant. It really does help get me through those "memory moments" when I say to myself, "why do the birds go on singing" (remember the song?).

I'm thinking if your therapist in her/his educated opinion offers you a "tool" , ( just like your sleeve is a "tool") and you are willing to work with it, then why not?

You will know soon enough if the RX is helping. Go for it. Feel better.

I take Lexapro (took it pre-op and still take it) My doctor gave it to me to help with the depression and anxiety attacks I was getting when I hit full blown menopause. I have had no side affects from it, its a tiny pill so no problems taking it. I love it, it also gives me a lot of energy, but doesn't suppress my appetite. I also have problems sleeping with it, but (now don't judge!) I smoke weed to help me sleep. I did try Welbutrin in the past (a Happy Pill is a good name for it..doesn't it have a smiling face on it?) It didn't help me at all, and also made my anxiety worse.

Couple of years ago I took Wellbutrin and it worked very well for me, but I give me terrible hives after about 15 days. It's was terrible hives all over my body for 1 week. Took me about 2 weeks to slowly come out of it, Doctor things was the Wellbutrin reaction. Unfortunately.

It worked wonders for me. My doc referred to it as the "happy/horny" drug. For me it did both. For my ex, it gave her symptoms of having a stroke. She lost strength on one side of her body and gave her full blown panic attacks. I think it is because she couldn't take the happiness (might be some lingering bitterness, but I'm about to send my second to the last alimony check, so I'm not that bitter).

I only mention the side effects so if you see them, you know where its coming from. Eliminating the drug will be cheaper than neurological work ups. It does take some ramp up time, so don't expect to have it take effect immediately. Best resource I know for figuring out psychotropic drugs is crazymeds.com. (It's the bariatricpal for the pharmaceutical set).

I did take them to help me sleep since October and Prozac for depression at first I felt ok, but since I'm still eating small amounts taking so many pills with my pain killers made me more depressed and my anxiety level was crazy high, they had to put me on Xanax so I can calm down at times .. So doctor said it was working backwards for me so I had to stop and the withdrawals are not fun ... Hope it work for you

Edited by agalindo17

Best resource I know for figuring out psychotropic drugs is crazymeds.com. (It's the bariatricpal for the pharmaceutical set).

I wholeheartedly second this recommendation. I believe it to be www.crazymeds.us, however.

I started taking it about 4 months ago on the recommendation of my WLS surgeon. Couldn't seem to shake the depression/mood swings/anger that started a couple weeks after surgery ( I am now 10 months post op). Took a bit more than a month for it to do its thing. It really doesn't make me feel different at all, other than I feel on a more even keel. My anger is manageable now, but I don't really feel different, which I see as a positive. It helps my mood without zonking me out, cranking me up, or giving me side effects that are no fun like I got on Lexapro several years ago. My wife was very leery of me starting it but she has believes it has been positive thus far.