Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Losing Weight Comes With Any Commute Not Done by Car

According to a major new study published in The Lancet Diabetes & Endocrinology, researchers have linked public transport usage with key health outcomes. Specifically, investigators examined the relationship between body fat percentage and BMI values as they relate to individuals who: (1) Just use public transportation; (2) Actively commute by walking or cycling; (3) Use a mixed-approach, combining public transport and an active mode; (4). Commute exclusively by car.

The trend was assessed in over 150,000 British residents between the ages of 40 and 69 years old, making it the largest study to date on this topic. Researchers discovered that those who used public transport, actively commuted or relied on a mixed approach for their daily commutes boasted significantly lower BMI values and body fat percentages compared to those resigned to driving alone.

The strongest association, as you might expect, was seen among cyclists. On average, men were 11 pounds lighter and women were 10 pounds lighter compared to those who drove. Researchers also saw significant trends among those who walked and the mixed transport category. Both showed comparatively lower BMI and body fat percentages than drivers, but the reduction was less than in the cycling group.

The article can be found here. http://acsh.org/news/2016/03/18/losing-weight-comes-with-any-commute-not-done-by-car/

I guess I have a slanted perception about drawing conclusions here.

1. I live in the country and we do not have public transportation. You have to go to the city to receive that benefit.

2. Cycling is good but in the country, stray dogs and potholes will eat you alive. Years ago, when I resided in a city, I use to cycle to work. But cars would pass me going 60 miles per hour. They would purposely get as close to the bike as possible and then at the right moment honk their horn. Its a good way to die. One of the individuals from work was riding his bicycle for exercise during lunch each day. But a truck ran into him. He lay in the hospital in a coma. He was the perfect picture of health. But his brain swelled and he died. Decades before his time.

So whatever you do stay healthy and alive.

I haven't lost any weight but I do take transit- on days when I don't, if I do nothing else my Fitbit registers about 4000 steps. On days that I do, it registers about 6000. But you are absolutely right- it depends on where you live. And living in the country usually brings other types of physical activity- or it can anyway.

Well I've put on 20 lbs since commuting by bus and walking. Go figure! Interesting read though.

Sent from my XT1080 using the BariatricPal App