Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello,

I have been reading on this forum for a few months now. It's been very informative and has answered most of my questions plus some I hadn't even thought of yet.

I am seriously considering a sleeve but during my reading I came across a post that gave me reason for second thought. Although the writer said many things that I discounted, they spoke about long term "every day" live after a sleeve. For example, only able to eat 4 oz at each meal, among other comments. The comments, by other members, after this post stated that the information it contained was not true.

The post did leave me with one question -

What are the long term differences in your every day routine? (1year pre-surgery to 1-2 year post surgery). What is your new reality?

I am aware of the health benefits. I'm curious about the changes in routine such as daily Vitamins, etc.

Thanks for your input in advance,

Canadian- girl

Edited by Canadian-girl

I'm only about six months post surgery but I can give you a few insights, at least for me.

- My stomach capacity is more than it was right after surgery, but still way smaller than before surgery. Depending on the meal I can eat somewhere between half and all of my Protein entree with a little bit of side dish.

- The reduced stomach capacity makes you think more about what you are eating. Since you are eating much less food, it is more important to make each bite count with proper nutrition and food selection.

- I had no problem being able to consume alcohol with the sleeve, but it did stop my weight loss in its tracks. I now limit myself to a very rare drink on special occasions. Save it for maintenance.

- You will become an expert at how much Protein is in everything you like and eat.

- Vitamins and Calcium chews have become part of my daily routine.

- My motivation to exercise is still as challenging as it was before surgery. Routines are very hard to change.

I'm not 1-2 years out, but what I can tell you definitively is that postop capacities vary. Some people can comfortably eat smaller amounts than others. No one case is true for every postop sleever. And there isn't a way to predict which way it will be for you. None of us gets to predict either how soon our sleeve will accept the recommended fluids and Protein, nor can we predict when, or if, we can eat favorite foods once we're beyond the immediate postop period.

You can pretty much find a post that matches any opinion, fear, or hope you have. Good luck on your journey!

I'm 5 mos post op and can definitely eat more than 4 oz at a time. For me daily life is all about getting in my Protein and limiting carbs and fat. So much Protein comes mixed with either carbs or fat or both. I have not found anything that upsets my sleeve yet, so I have lots of options, but get sick of chicken and fish.

I love working out so that is not a problem for me. It is probably the best part of my day.

I too drink alcohol occasionally, but try and limit it to rare occasions. I don't even find that I get drunk off a glass or two like I've seen others post.

I think the biggest difference is just planning out your meals more to make sure you are getting the right macronutrients and correct percentages for the day. Also it helps with your grocery shopping.

It really isn't all that hard, just sometimes I still crave sugar. It is definitely worth it.

Thank-you 2goldengirl.

Yes, I understand everyone is different, and agree fully.

Just wondering what the common ones are that people have dealt with.

If I can accept the possibilities - I can be successful!

Thanks kaitlynm!

By all I read, it sounded like things would normalize. I understand about Protein, carbs, liquids, fats and exercise, these I just take for granted.

Great to hear this confirmed.

Edited by Canadian-girl

Although some argue over the reasons why, it's inevitable for restriction to wane over time. Sure we won't be able to eat as much as before, but years down the road some may be able to eat a small dinner plate of food. That's why it's so important to use the time when restriction is at its highest and hunger at its lowest to cement healthy eating habits while you can before the that time comes. I'm 19 months out, and I'm alarmed sometimes at the amount I can eat now. That's why I have to be that much more vigilant about what I'm putting in my mouth.

This surgery isn't really meant to be long term. It's most effective short term to help us build the habits to be successful long term. It's up to us to utilize it that way.

Thanks Babbs for confirming that it is a tool to be used wisely!

Edited by Canadian-girl