Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello All,

I have found this site very beneficial and I wanted to give back. Until I found this site, I had a hard time finding info from people in their 50’s. One thing I've noticed in the postings is that nobody puts their bougie size, which can be very important regarding complications or symptoms you have.

MY BACKGROUND: 55 and have been overweight starting in my late 20's after divorce. It was harder to get the weight off after my hysterectomy in my 40's. Best wt. loss was with WW of 45 pounds, but so discouraging when you work hard week-after-week and they'd say "Congratulations! You've lost 0.2 lbs." My BMI was 39 before approval. My highest weight was 222 lbs and my goal weight is 145 lbs. I had been thinking about the sleeve for a while, even though I saw a lot of people fail with it, but others were successful.

I had great insurance and it covered 35 to 40 BMI with comorbidities and no required nutrition counseling. From my approval to my surgery date was about 45 days. I had high blood pressure, high cholesterol and sleep apnea. Even though there was no required nutrition counseling, I felt it was important so I did do 2 sessions. Psych Eval was no stress and I learned about a program they have that is 12 weeks and helps you with making the transition emotionally, nutritionally and with tools to help with the changes the surgery brings to your life.

THE INITIAL PLAN: Surgery on Wednesday with a 36 bougie and I would have an ON-Q pain relief system. I would be home on Thursday. The 36 bougie is just what I wanted. I did not want to lose weight too fast and I felt it would put me more at risk for some of the side effects that happen after really quick weight loss, i.e. Hair loss, sagging skin, nausea/vomiting, swallowing pain, etc.

Bougie size range for a sleeve procedure is generally 30 to 42, but can go up to 50 and helps the surgeon get the staple line correct for the size of the pouch selected during surgery. It is a tube that is removed after the pouch is stapled.

WHAT ACTUALLY HAPPENED: When I woke up in my hospital room, I had a JP drain! WTH? I wasn't supposed to have a drain, I specifically asked prior to surgery. I had my IV's, my incisions and my ON-Q pain med delivery bulb. I also had a Dilaudid PCA IV pump. I felt pretty good but I had a dry mouth. Be sure to ask for mouth swabs, they help. An hour later, up to use the bathroom and a couple of hours after that, I was walking in the hallway. Pain was not bad, but had moderate gas aches in abdomen and chest area. It was all manageable with my PCA pump. I would not be doing my leak test until the next day. For some reason, they brought me ice chips. I didn't know if they should have, but I didn't complain! LOL Anyway, I would take only a teaspoon about every 1.5 -2 hours. I would let it melt in my mouth and swish it around before swallowing. I did not want any problems with my pouch, but I WAS thirsty.

The Physician's Assistant came in and I asked about the drain. She really didn't know why, but said it would come out before I went home. I had my leak test the next day and everything was okay. I was started on a clear liquid diet. I was so excited I ordered chicken broth and TWO popsicles.

OMG! I WISH I HAD KNOWN! This is the part I did not expect. Whenever I swallowed any liquid, I had pain. It was awful! I felt this SEVERE burning, acid reflux, heartburn type pain. It was so bad, I did not want to swallow. I was wondering what the heck I had done to myself. I told myself I wasn’t even THAT big yet, maybe I should have tried harder before doing this surgery. My thought was if I had known I would have this kind of pain anytime I drank, I would not have done it. I was in agony. We tried simethicone (Gas-X), very little help. We tried simethicone with Zofran (nausea) that helped a little more. I realized that for me, warm fluids worked better than cold. I still was not getting much in.

By this time the surgeon had come in and I asked her about the drain. What I learned is that there had been a misfire with the staple gun that caused a tear that had to be hand sutured. This narrowed the space and size of the bougie. I now had a 32 Bougie. What can I say, “STUFF HAPPENS.” But now I knew what had happened and I feel like that is why I was having so many unexpected problems with swallowing. That might not be totally true, but that was my mindset going in. I have to say I was pretty bummed out. I could not believe I had a 32 bougie and all these symptoms and pain. I wanted to cry. All I could think was that I had messed myself up by having the surgery. I was so down. My poor husband knew I wasn’t okay, but what could he say? My sisters were feeling bad for me. After feeling sorry for myself for about an hour I figured I just had to do what I needed to and take the lumps I’d brought on myself.

Because I still wasn’t drinking much and my blood pressure was high, I decided to stay another day. I felt they needed to get my blood pressure under control and get me drinking better or I would go home, become dehydrated and have to come right back. I AM SO GLAD I STAYED!!! The evening nurse decided to try a combo of simethicone, Zofran and HyCet (pain med). I had stopped using the PCA pump because it really didn’t help. That combo cocktail saved me. From that point on I could swallow without pain. I did a lot of soft burping, but no pain when swallowing. Warm fluids were still better than cold ones, but I could drink slowly. I did well during the night and went home on Friday. I knew I could keep up with the liquids enough to not be readmitted.

HOME NOW: When I got home I overdid it a bit. I shouldn’t have been bending down or trying to straighten up or wash clothes or.... After a couple of hours, I took a nap. I woke up, took my cocktail med mixture and felt fine in about 20 minutes. Drinking is fine, but I have to remember to take small swallows. I guess I don’t know what a sip is…LOL. I just put a swallow of liquid in my mouth and then, actually swallow the liquids in 3 swallows. I know it’s weird, but that is what works for me.

Friday I went to bed about 10 pm. and took my cocktail before. I slept until 4 am, used the bathroom, walked around which helped to loosen me up some. I decided not to take any meds and see what the morning was like. I slept okay. I was in a little pain when I got up, but moved around, did incentive spirometry breathing and coughing techniques. Trying to organize how I was going to take the meds, the Protein Drinks, the Water is crazy. I thought I had it down before I went to the hospital, but the hospital gave me information after the surgery, more info from the doctor’s office, more discharge instructions and additional info from the nutritionist. It’ll probably take me a couple of days to figure it out.

Right now I had on the computer. I have to remind myself to get up and walk around every two hours. My dog wants to play, but I know she’ll get too active for me, so I just look at her and briefly pet her so as not to encourage her too much. I am off to take start my regimen of meds and fluids. I hope I have been helpful. Thank you all so much for what you have contributed to me.

Edited by ExcitedAt55

How do I change the side panel so it shows my weight? Also, how do I get those cute little graphs on the bottom? Thank you.

Welcome!

I am glad you are home and on the mend.

Frankly, I don't think bougie size is that important for me as a patient to worry about. I chose a highly skilled, successful surgeon and entrusted my care to him. Any decision he makes in the OR is for my benefit. He certainly didn't need me to micromanage his choices.

Just keep walking and sipping, focus on getting in all of your fluids and Protein and you will be on the mend.

As far as changing the side panel, I think you can go to account or profile settings. I use the phone app 99% of the time so don't remember all the screen names. Maybe someone who uses the computer more often can give you directions for updating your profile and creating tickers.

Thanks Inner Surfer Girl. It has definitely been a challenge getting my fluids in. I thought I would whiz through it, but here it is 7:45 p.m. and I still only have in half my Protein and 2/3 of my fluids for the day. The clear liquid diet is a challenge. I hope when I get to full liquids I can just add the Protein powder to what I eat and not end of sipping and full all day.

I'll look around on the profile and account page. I will also have to check out the phone app. I appreciate the tips.

I'm 56 and was sleeved last summer. No complications and had an easy recovery. I took it very slow, but made sure I got my Water in and walked, walked, walked. I mostly got up and moved around the house, but I did so faithfully.

I'm now within 12 lbs of my goal. These early days will a distant memory as you see your success.

Best of luck to you!

I'm 56 and was sleeved last summer. No complications and had an easy recovery. I took it very slow, but made sure I got my Water in and walked, walked, walked. I mostly got up and moved around the house, but I did so faithfully.

I'm now within 12 lbs of my goal. These early days will a distant memory as you see your success.

Best of luck to you!

Congratulations on your success! How exciting for you to be so close to your goal! It's very encouraging.

Edited by Long2BFree

Hi Long2BFree,

Today I decided to add a scoop of whey powder to my Premier Protein drink. I figured if I add the powder I can do this one drink and get most of my Protein in! After I put it in my Magic Bullet and sipped it some, I returned to it and it was a foamy mess, YUCK! I poured it out and did it again with a small whisk so it wouldn't foam up. It was better but I JUST finished that one drink (It's 8:30 p.m.). :-(

My husband bought me some wonton Soup and I strained all the good stuff out of it. The leftover broth was wonderful. I plan on doing that more often vs the chicken, beef or vegetable broth from the cube.

I am doing my Vitamins okay, even though they make me full quicker. I haven't got the meal time thing down yet and I return to work tomorrow. Obviously, my perception of my ability to just whiz though it is overinflated! LOL.

I have found out I do like orange Jello though!!!

Edited by ExcitedAt55

I've heard mixed info on how much the body can absorb in Protein so I don't know if what you are doing with the Protein Powder helps or not. I have my surgery on the 30th so I'm trying to put together some helpful info to hang on my fridge.

Maybe you can add some unflavored Protein powder to your wonton Soup broth. I'm going to experiment with making Gelatin with an Isopure drink to see if I like it. I like Jello but am not crazy about putting so much artificial stuff in my body now that I'll be getting limited nutrition. Lol, we will see how it goes.

Good luck with getting your routine down for work. That's one thing I've been pondering.

So happy for you congratulations. Thank you for all that VERY helpful information you answered lots of questions for me. My date is March 21 and that is a few hours away. I am trying to stay calm

To Jane13,

I’m doing okay today. I am full as a tick, but I am getting more Protein in. I tried a stage 1 baby food Peaches and added ½ scoop of Protein powder to it. Um…not too bad.

No wonder I am full. I just re-read postop diet instructions and it says meals should not exceed ¾-1 cup initially. When I was on liquids I just seemed to be sipping all day. I am still on liquids, but I have added baby food stage 1 and cream Soup. I still like the wonton broth best.

I just realized I haven’t done a number 2 for over a week, so I’ll have to see what my doctor wants me to do.

To Long2BeFree,

I never thought about an issue with Protein absorption. I looked through all my papers and found something in my discharge sheets from the hospital. It says:

Full liquid Foods (1/4 c. total per meal)

· Protein-rich liquids (limit added protein powder to 25-30 grams per serving)

I’ll have to ask the doctor or nutritionist for more details about this, but thanks for letting me know. Plus it made me look back through my discharge information. I didn’t know there was a ¼c. limit! My Premier Protein is 11 oz just to get my 30 grams of protein in.

I'm glad you mentioned something about adding Protein powder to baby food peaches. I'm wondering how I will get all of my Protein in post surgery. I also like that you posted about Full liquid Foods being 1/4 cup total. I went for my educational class last week and they didn't break it down like this on the liquid part. I will have to ask my dietitian about this when I see her this week.

@ - if it has been a week since you have gone to the bathroom DONT wait any longer - call now. the longer you wait the more painful. I was allowed Miralax.< /p>