Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lap Band removal/sleeve in 2 separate procedures

I went into the hospital to get my lap band out on Feb 26 and get sleeved. I woke up from surgery with my surgeon telling me he could not do the sleeve due to thick scar tissue from the band and 2 hernias. I now have to wait 3 months to have my sleeve surgery. Which is scheduled for the end of May. I am finding the healing from the lap band removal quite difficult. I have swelling above the incision where the port was and find that that's where I experience the most pain. I have heard that getting the band out is worst than getting the lap band in and getting the sleeve. How long did it take for you to fully heal from the lap band removal surgery? If you have to have the lap band removed and the sleeve done in 2 separate surgeries, how was the sleeve surgery recovery vs lap band removal recovery? I am so nervous to have another stomach surgery due to this current healing process. Please share your experiences ..

To be absolutely honest, when my band was removed I took very little time to heal. Felt instantly better because I was relieved of the reflux and vomiting. Back to work 2 days later.

Everyone heals differently, rest up and let your body recover.

My scar tissue is so bad that I was refused a sleeve and am getting a bypass instead.

Take care of yourself, you will heal up and when your body is ready you will get your sleeve.

Sent from my SM-G920F using the BariatricPal App

Oh wow why did you choose the bypass? When is your surgery scheduled? Thanks so much for writing me back

My surgery is scheduled 2nd April, really looking forward to it now.

My surgeon said bypass better and after reading posts here from people who went from band to sleeve to bypass, think he's given me good advice.

Is your swelling and pain reduced now? X

I went to see my surgeon yesterday and he explained that he put stitches in them muscle where the port was so that is why it is sore. He actually said that people are usually much more swollen then me where the port was. I am healing it's just a slower process. I was told that the sleeve surgery is not as difficult to heal from. I was concerned with malabsorption issues with the bypass.

That's great news your surgeon is happy with your progress and that you are a step closer to getting your sleeve.

I had my band removed over three months ago. My doctor said he likes to wait about 3 months to let the stomach heal and he has had better results doing this. I just had the Sleeve done Feb. 29th and I am doing great. I am on the pureed stage this is my 2nd week and getting alittle tired of the baby food. But I can do it. I also had problems with the port with my lapband and food getting stuck all the time.

Good things for us in the future!

I had my band removed over three months ago. My doctor said he likes to wait about 3 months to let the stomach heal and he has had better results doing this. I just had the Sleeve done Feb. 29th and I am doing great. I am on the pureed stage this is my 2nd week and getting alittle tired of the baby food. But I can do it. I also had problems with the port with my lapband and food getting stuck all the time.

Good things for us in the future!

Oh wow so can you compare your recovery? How was the lap band removal vs the sleeve procedure?

Lap band 2011 and had it removed and got the sleeve on 3/30/16. So much scar tissue it took 90 minutes to remove it all and then she proceeded with sleeve and endoscopy. I'm ok just tired and sore. I'm glad she did it all in one day. She told me recovery would be from 2-4 weeks and I'm ok with that

Congratulations to you all!! I have been searching through google "how long does it take for stomach to go back to normal after band removal" All i get is your stomach goes back to normal after removal .. i want to know exactly how long, days, weeks, months. i know it depends on everyone different situation. Mine is ... I went to get the band removed and sleeve done at the same time exactly 1 week ago today. and when i woke up my doc had to tell me that i wasn;t sleeved because the band had slipped and the lower part of my stomach was going through the band making another pouch with my stomach above the band. i had very little scar tissue as a matter of fact scar tissue wasn't the problem.. he wanted to let it get its normal shape back so that we can have an un complicated surgery ... Im ok with that i trust my doc 100% but i was just curious how long does it take. he wants to wait 6 to 8 weeks so im scheduled exactly 7 weeks from April 5th.

Just curious i read that some docs wants to wait 2 weeks 4 weeks 2 months 4month 6months ????

How long did you have to wait and why thanks..

My Doctor told me before hand that he does the procedure in two steps. He said that he wanted to wait after you remove the band at least three months because the stomach is weak in the area where the band was he wants it to heal first. I had my band removed on November 13 and had to sleeve done on March 16 with the band removal I was back at work in about 3 days and with the sleeve I returned to work after a week. I had no difficulties with either of the surgeries everything went really smooth.

Sent from my iPod touch using the BariatricPal App

My Doctor told me before hand that he does the procedure in two steps. He said that he wanted to wait after you remove the band at least three months because the stomach is weak in the area where the band was he wants it to heal first. I had my band removed on November 13 and had to sleeve done on March 16 with the band removal I was back at work in about 3 days and with the sleeve I returned to work after a week. I had no difficulties with either of the surgeries everything went really smooth.

Sent from my iPod touch using the BariatricPal

thanks its forever for responding, i have been on computer first day back to work just researching all kinds of things. im very comfortable with my doctors orders just wanted to know others experiences. i read that some people do better with waiting as far as more wieght loss ...do you think thats true. ? How much weight have you lost since March 2016.? Did you gain any weight while waiting for your sleeve surgery? well i have gained about 30lbs since January 11 my first day of consultation for revision. i feel absolutely great without the band. but eating is a problem so i decided today to lose at least 13lbs by May 24th (my surgery date).. At least that would give me a headstart to losing what i originally wanted to lose by Memorial Weekend, Fourth of July, and goal hopefully by my birthday in September. Im considered a lightweight and BMI. What i did read and have already found one is getting a therapist this time around., i found a psychologist who has experience with eating disorders, and WLS.. my first appointment is May 4 so im excited about that. Thanks again

Sent from my iPod touch using the BariatricPal

thanks its forever for responding, i have been on computer first day back to work just researching all kinds of things. im very comfortable with my doctors orders just wanted to know others experiences. i read that some people do better with waiting as far as more wieght loss ...do you think thats true. ? How much weight have you lost since March 2016.? Did you gain any weight while waiting for your sleeve surgery? well i have gained about 30lbs since January 11 my first day of consultation for revision. i feel absolutely great without the band. but eating is a problem so i decided today to lose at least 13lbs by May 24th (my surgery date).. At least that would give me a headstart to losing what i originally wanted to lose by Memorial Weekend, Fourth of July, and goal hopefully by my birthday in September. Im considered a lightweight and BMI. What i did read and have already found one is getting a therapist this time around., i found a psychologist who has experience with eating disorders, and WLS.. my first appointment is May 4 so im excited about that. Thanks again
wow this is exactly my experience but I had scar tissue where the band was. I am reschedule for May 17th for the sleeve surgery. I am also trying to loose some weight before the procedure but it's so hard! I am also going to work with a WLS and eating disorder therapist once I get the procedure done. I think that's so important. I am currently at 210 however I did a diet 2 years ago and got down to 140 but I still felt fat mentally. I would give to be back at 140 but I know I will with the sleeve I just want to realize it mentally.

Yes that is great having a therapist. Is there anyway you can start seeing him/her before you have surgery. I think it may help a little more so thats why i start May 4th i will probably get 2 or sessions in before hand. Why do you say you cant lose a few Lbs. before the 17th.? I know i couldn't during the whole world wind of episodes i had going on (i gained 30lbs in 3 months) but now that everything is together (pre-ops , insurance approval, removal of band ect.) now i have a little control do focus on losing 13lbs. Well as of today 10 YEAHHH! I am a emotional eater obviously. How long is your wait time before sleeve..