Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Philadelphia,Pa/Montgomery County, Pa

Hello heidikat72 ,

Dr. Dumon will be my surgeon as well at HUP. How has it been thus far? I'm scheduled for a December Surgery Date.

Dr. Dumon is great. HUP was so so. They tell you up front that your recovery will be in a ward that only deals with bariatric patients but that wasn't true in my case. In fact, I was the first bariatric patient any nurse on my ward had ever dealt with and they had no idea what the protocol was - I had to keep educating them. For instance, the day after surgery I must have had 5 separate people bring me a can of full sugar ginger ale and a straw to drink. Had to explain to each of them why I couldn't use a straw, why I couldn't have any carbonated beverages and why I couldn't have sugar. Then they would offer to bring me coffee to "perk me up" and had to explain why I couldn't have caffeine. Plus my surgery was at 9:30am, I was in the post op recovery area before noon but didn't get to my actual room until almost 11:00pm and they refused in the recovery area to let me get up and walk and they hadn't even bothered to turn the compression wraps on until I complained for like the 10th time. I think they just take on more surgeries in general than the rest of the hospital is prepared to deal with. But all that said - I had no complications and it was only two nights in the hospital and the nurses I had did want to learn. And the pre and post support through Penn has been great. Just make sure you understand your immediate post op requirements (they will be explained to you in the nutrition class that you have about a week or two before surgery) because your nursing staff in the hospital may not actually be familiar with them.

The next support group meeting at the perelman center (right next to HUP) that I'm going to is November 12th - if you attend, please come up to me and introduce yourself!

Hello heidikat72 ,

Dr. Dumon will be my surgeon as well at HUP. How has it been thus far? I'm scheduled for a December Surgery Date.

Also try Temple Hospital for their Bariatric Program.....they have informational sessions a few times a month......there are 3 surgeons in this group (I'm using Dr. Clarke-my cousin used her and has been very satisfied).....In addition to performing the surgery and having office visits at Temple, the surgeons also see people at Jeanes Hospital *Temple's # for the Bariatric Clinic is: 215-707-3471*

Sent from my SM-G935P using the BariatricPal App

Had my surgery on 8/23 at Pennsylvania Hospital with Dr. Wernsing. I cannot tell you how much I love the team there -- the nutritionists, the nurse practitioner, and the doc himself. Bariatric patients are on a floor together and the nurses know how to deal with them. Saw lots of familiar faces from my pre-op class on how to handle the pre-op and post op diet. I'm two months and a few days out. I'm down 55 pounds from my high weight(April 2016), 31 from my surgery weight and my BMI has dropped 9 points.

I was in the hospital one night and the care at the hospital was super.

I had my surgery done at Einstein by Dr. Dallal. Some of the people who work in his office, are not people I would choose to work with, especially one of the psychotherapists there who seem to border on psychopathology when doing my interview. She was one of the kinds of people who smiles and speaks in a sweet voice while taking a knife and cutting your organs out emotionally, five minutes after you meet her. She was terrible. But the surgeon, was great. Smart, experienced, instilled confidence, and it was not misplaced.

As such experiences go, mine was great. I had my surgery right before Thanksgiving-like the day before. I ended up with my own room which was a godsend for me, and the hospital staff was attentive and competent. The surgeon who did my sleeve was friendly, fast, and it all went off without a hitch.

My scores were small and they healed up quickly. I had no complications from the surgery. What I will say, is there a pre-surgical and post surgical education and care is most certainly lacking. There were a lot of things that I was not told or taught, that would have made my recovery after leaving the hospital smoother. For instance, nobody told me it was possible to become impacted from the opioid painkillers and the lack of activity. Also, no one told me to take milk of magnesia to prevent that from happening. This is just one example. So I highly recommend Einstein for the surgery, but I also highly recommend you get yourself educated elsewhere.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Edited by JupiterinVirgo

I am Scheduled for Dec 1st. Nervous as all get up. My Surgery is at HUP. The Nursing Class was invaluable... i gained more knowledge than the binder and the weight management classes. I think the WM was honestly a waist of time. We went over my typical intake and set basic goals. But it was no brainer stuff. They were extremely personable and easy to talk to. My Dr. Is Simon. At the Nursing Class 2 other people are scheduled with him on the same day.

That made me nervous.. the NP said it's not unusual to have 5or 6 surgeries in one day.

Almost there! Thank you all for sharing

I am going to see Dr. Beekley at Jefferson in Phila. I have health plan east was it will be covered.

I had my surgery on 10/18/16 with Dr Beekley and I love him

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Im going to have surgery soon. Looking forward to Dr. Marymore doing it. He was great at the consulation and spent like 1.5 hrs talking w me.

Sent from my SM-S975L using the BariatricPal App

Has anyone had Dr Bono at Barix Clinic in Langhorne?

Thanks Tanisha!
What was your pre-op liquid diet like and how long was it?

Dr Marymore was great. Barix clinics is excellent...way better than a large hospital. That is all they do. Great care from nurses and whole staff.

Has anyone had Dr Bono at Barix Clinic in Langhorne?

Yes Dr Marymor....Barix clinics was great...better than any large hospital

Yes Dr Marymor....Barix clinics was great...better than any large hospital

What did he require you to do for the pre-op liquid diet?