Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

For those who seem to have found the balance of continuous weight loss, breaking through the stall and/or have not had a stall, what does a normal day of food and exercise look like for you?

I realize that a lot will depend on age and starting weight, but maybe it could give us all and insight into what seems to be working for the majority of people.

Thanks!

I've only had two stalls (I'm almost 10 months out). The dreaded three-week one and then one at about eight months out. Otherwise, my loss has been slow and steady.

I usually exercise six days a week (2 days of TRX or weights, 2 days of water-based cardio, 2 days of yoga). My calorie level had gotten up to 900-1100 range per day, but I dialed it down to push through that stall I had at eight months out. I'm eating 800-1000 kcal a day now. I know some people eat 600-800, but I don't feel well if I drop below 800 for more than a day or two, and plus I'm pretty active.

I average anywhere between 900 to 1100 calories per day, and I go to the gym 1 1/2 hours a day. I am now up to running 3 miles a day and I swim about 1800 yards( a little over a mile).

Edited by Waler

I had my sleeve in early sept 2015. My starting weight was over 400. I am currently at 259.

I try to stick to a high Protein diet but i eat anything. I don't shy away from carbs or sugar. I even have a stash of easter candy that i dip into every day. Last night i had two stufed Pasta shells with some sausage for dinner. Turkey cold cuts, cheese and crackers for lunch, and yogurt mixed with some Cereal for Breakfast. As a snack i had a reeses Peanut Butter egg

As I was losing, past the first couple of months anyway, I would say my calories were in the realm of 1200-1400 a day? I did Couch to 5K three days a week, rode a recumbent exercise bike for about 40 minutes two days a week, and rotated through strength training (arms, legs, core) 6 days a week.

Now I'm "maintaining" and training for a half marathon. I have to eat about 2200-2400 calories a day not to keep losing weight!

Below is a "typical" day's menu:

As for carbs, mostly I get them from my shakes, Greek yogurt, and the very limited veggies I'm able to fit in after my Protein. Other doctors and nutritionists give you carb targets, but my doctor just says to limit them as much as possible. If you're not logging your food yet, I'd suggest using http://www.myfitnesspal.com/. It helps you keep track of your Protein and fluids, but also can help you figure out if anything is going off track and affecting your weight loss.

Okay, here's an example of my day:
  • I keep a 3-quart jug and a 24-oz Tervis tumbler (with a handle) both at home and at work. I fill the jug with Water and a 2-quart packet of Crystal Light ice tea, because full strength is too sweet.
  • I count my morning Protein shake as a meal, not a Fluid. (30 grams of protein)
  • 30-60 minutes later, I have a cup or two of coffee. (Count it as a Fluid if you like.)
  • After that, I drink a 24-oz. tumbler of sugar-free iced tea throughout the morning. (Lots of frequent sips)
  • Then I walk for 35+ minutes.
  • Then it's lunchtime - tuna salad or chicken salad, or leftover protein from dinner. (16-22 grams of protein) and maybe a bite of veggies if there's room.
  • About 45 minutes after lunch, I'll fill another 24-oz tumbler of iced tea and sip that throughout the afternoon, finishing by 30 minutes before my afternoon snack.< /li>
  • At around 4:00 or 4:30, my afternoon snack is usually a Greek yogurt (12 grams of protein) or some leftovers. (This is also a good time to get in some veggies or a V-8 if you're getting enough protein at other times.)
  • Maybe a cup of hot tea in the later afternoon. (Count it as a fluid you like.)
  • Then dinner – again, getting 20-25 grams of protein from lean steak, fish, chicken, or pork, and maybe a bite or two of veggies.
  • Finally, another 24-oz cup of iced tea or Water 30-45 minutes after dinner that I sip throughout the evening.
  • If I'm hungry later, sugar-free Jello or sugar-free popsicles are good. And if I'm short on protein or still hungry, another yogurt or Protein Shake. (I'm not worried about the calories because this menu only provides 700-900 per day.)
So that's 70+ grams of protein and 72-120 ounces of fluid, with some exercise as well. If you have a regular enough schedule, you can follow it every day. If not, maybe a modified version will work.
The big trick is in pre-planning your meals and your fluids, especially if you're going to be away from home or work. In those cases, I always make sure there will be something I can eat, or I bring along a Protein shake or some kind of meat to carry me through. I've also gotten pretty good at restaurant eating. I avoid the bread and salad, order chicken, steak, lamb, fish, or pork, trade-in the starch for a second veggie, skip the dessert.... and end up taking half of the meat, and almost all of the veggies home.
Hope that helps!
Rog

I eat about 800 to 1200 calories a day. I run 4 to 5 miles on 3 mornings a week, walk 3 to 4 miles on 3 mornings a week, do zumba for 1 hour on one night a week, and do body pump for an hour 2 nights a week.

My go to foods are zoodles with homemade turkey meatballs, greek yogurt, Cracker Barrel 2% cheese sticks (only 60 calories), sliced turkey, shredded chicken that I made in a crockpot, the individual size frozen veggie steamers. I typically do not do Protein shakes or bars. The bars have way too many calories for my liking. The shakes do not really give me that "satisfied" feeling. I love tuna, but limit it due to mercury concerns. I eat chicken about a 100 different ways. I do eggs once a week. I also like sugar free oatmeal.

I don't count calories, just Protein. I usually get about 70-80 grams of Protein each day. A typical day for me might look like:

- 5 oz Greek yogurt with 1/4 cup granola

-1/2 apple with Peanut Butter

-a few slices of deli turkey with a slice of cheese

-protein shake

-hash (ground turkey, onion, sweet potato, apple and spinach all mixed together. I double the ground turkey to get more protein in.)

I exercise about six days a week. I do BodyPump twice a week, BodyStep once or twice a week (depends on my schedule), and walk 2-4 miles two to four times a week.

I'm down a little more than 70 pounds since September. My weight loss has slowed down some from the early months, but it's steady.

Edited by gpmed

@@AnA92212 Are you maintaining on that few calories or are you still losing? Your workouts don't sound much less rigorous than mine, aside from my one long run per week for my half marathon training and I have to eat more than 1000 more calories than you in order to not lose more weight.

For those who seem to have found the balance of continuous weight loss, breaking through the stall and/or have not had a stall, what does a normal day of food and exercise look like for you?

I realize that a lot will depend on age and starting weight, but maybe it could give us all and insight into what seems to be working for the majority of people.

Thanks!

I focus on getting in all of my Protein (at least 100 grams) and Water every day.

I avoid added sugars and starches for the most part.

I take my Vitamins and supplements every day.

I try to eat slowly and mindfully.

I try to eat as cleanly as possible.

I swim laps and/or take Water aerobics class about 3-4 times a week,

I am 5&1/2 months out and have lost 93lbs now. I started at 319. I eat less then 30 carbs a day, at least 70 grams of Protein, and my calories average around 650 a day. I exercise 5-6 days a week usually around 30-45 minutes at a time. I alternate between a weight set and the treadmill. I have had a few slow times but have still had loss every week on the scale.

I am trying to lose, but I have been in a stall for about 6 weeks. My NUT wants me to up my calories some more and add some more Protein. I am training for a half marathon too. Just started running in December. Started running 90 seconds at a time and up to 5 miles. Almost "half way" there!!

I am trying to lose, but I have been in a stall for about 6 weeks. My NUT wants me to up my calories some more and add some more Protein. I am training for a half marathon too. Just started running in December. Started running 90 seconds at a time and up to 5 miles. Almost "half way" there!!

That sounds like good advice, especially since you run.

I would definitely agree with your NUT. That sounds like not nearly enough calories to sustain your leave of activity.

You all rock! And totally put me to shame. I'm glad I read this thread and hope it helps me to get back to what I need to do. Apparently I am eating way too much!! Thanks all! You are total Rock Stars.