Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My daughter had a duodenal switch

Hi everyone! I am new to this site, my Daughter has had her surgery 2/10/16. We need help with food ideas, she is not hungry at all. She is lactose intolerant, we have a couple GENEPRO samples on the way in the mail, I hope she loves that protein! Today she can add fish!!! Yay!!! It just seems like the there would be other things she could add also! Any advise? Barb

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

What phase is she on? Did her NUT provide a list of recommended foods for this phase? If so, what is on the list?

Early out I like ProtiDiet liquid beverage concentrates, premier Protein shakes, GNC lean shake 25, Syntrax nectar, ProtiDiet creamy chicken and Tomato basil Soups.

If she can have fish then: tuna, salmon, etc.

If the genpro doesn't work, I like Precision Engineered whey Protein Isolate which is 99% lactose free. (I think all whey Protein ISOLATE is but I wouldn't swear to that. Just be sure it is the ISOLATE that you get.)

She has to have 80-100 grams of Protein a day, 60 oz of liquid. Before today she could have yogurt, but it hurts her stomach, Protein shakes, sf pudding & Jello. All kinds of Beans. eggs. Wheat bread. She can only stand powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury unflavored Protein. (She started trying out a bunch of them before surgery). Now today she can add all kinds of fish, next Wednesday she can add chicken, turkey. 2 weeks from today she can add red meat. The problem is she doing is getting sick of all of it!

Out of curiosity, how old is your daughter?

She is 21 years old, been heavy all her life. She just doesn't take the time to learn about these sites like this, so I thought I would help however I could!

I had RNY surgery whereas your daughter had duodenal switch. I suspect the meal plans are different between the two types of surgery. I found softer foods went down easier, such as chili and Soups. I made my own, high Protein versions. The recipes are contained at the end of the following article when she is advanced enough to eat them. http://www.breadandbutterscience.com/Surgery.pdf

I can forward to you (by email) documents if you PM me your address. My surgical team gave food suggestions, etc.

The rule of thumb is 30 grams of Protein at 30 days out, 60 grams at 60, etc. However, this didn't work for me. I couldn't eat a lot for a long time. Therefore, she should try and have a Protein shake each day. Should have < 8 grams of sugar and over 10 grams of Protein. Like Muscle Milk or Myloplex. This counts as protein and liquid. If I wasn't hungry I just forced myself. I had to do it for the entire first year and sometimes later on if I wasn't hungry or just couldn't get in enough protein. The goal is 125+ grams of protein as she goes on. It's great because you can eat protein constantly (I eat every couple of hours), feel satisfied and not deprived and lose weight at the same time.

Hopefully, the lactose Intolerance is temporary. Many of us get it for the first year. I used lactaid pills and ate lactose free cheese/milk, etc.

Once she can begin to try different things; If they don't agree with her, then wait a week or so and try again. Hydration is still very important at her stage.

Edited by Postop

Postop, how long ago did you have your surgery? Sami is suppose to have 80-100 grams of Protein a day! Are you on a lot of Vitamins? Sami sometimes can't even stand the smell of food, just yesterday she was able to add fish, she loves shrimp so that's good. Also she has always been lactose intolerant, some foods are worse then others. I don't know how to PM you.

Postop, how long ago did you have your surgery? Sami is suppose to have 80-100 grams of Protein a day! Are you on a lot of Vitamins? Sami sometimes can't even stand the smell of food, just yesterday she was able to add fish, she loves shrimp so that's good. Also she has always been lactose intolerant, some foods are worse then others. I don't know how to PM you.

Definitely talk to her NUT. Did you attend the nutrition classes with her? Her NUT/program should have provided her with a detailed post-op plan.

It is great that you are helping her, but I would encourage her to take an active interest in her program. To be successful, she is going to have to learn to take responsibility for her health.

I was sleeved so my program may be different, but my surgeon wanted me meeting my 100 gram per day Protein goal right away.

The sooner she can reach her protein and Fluid goals the better she will feel and heal from surgery.

Another good resource for recipes in addition to the food and Nutrition forum on this site is The World According to Eggface blog.

She has to have 80-100 grams of Protein a day, 60 oz of liquid. Before today she could have yogurt, but it hurts her stomach, Protein shakes, sf pudding & Jello. All kinds of Beans. eggs. Wheat bread. She can only stand powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury unflavored Protein. (She started trying out a bunch of them before surgery). Now today she can add all kinds of fish, next Wednesday she can add chicken, turkey. 2 weeks from today she can add red meat. The problem is she doing is getting sick of all of it!

Has she tried:

Refried Beans?

tuna? I like the flavored Sunkist packets for variety.

Hummus?

I am trying to think of things I ate early out that didn't contain cheese or other dairy.

BariatricPal App

I had the DS 11 years ago this April. 80-100 is the low end of Protein. Most DSers I know eat 125+ a day. I'm constantly eating. I don't expect your daughter to do this now. Her stomach has been changed from a 21 year old woman to an infant's. She has to totally relearn how it works. It takes a while to figure it out. Right now at a month out she's not going to be very interested in food. liquids are the most important. That why a protein shake is so important. Liquid and protein in one pkg.

I'm very glad she can add the fish. Gradually, she'll add more and more. It takes time. I couldn't do hotdogs or Tomato sauce for over a year. We're all so different. Some people couldn't stand food smells and their tastes really changed.

Yes, I take over 40 vits/minerals a day. It isn't that much in the beginning, but as you have your blood done (yearly or every 6 mos. depending on your surgeon) your vits/minerals are tweaked b/c you're malabsobing. That the beauty of the DS. The malabsorption helps w/the weight loss and keeping it off; however, you must be vigilant about your vits/minerals for the rest of your life!

To PM me, go to the top right of the page and find the envelope.

Edited by Postop