Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Liver shrink... Am I eating to many carbs?

Today is my 2nd day on the liver shrink diet. Both days I have had an average of 20 grams of fat, 2500 sodium, and 150 carbs...

I am wondering if this is to much... the dietitian told me that fat was the main part to cut out but she didnt give me a number... I have been following the plan they gave me but I still feel like it maybe to much and I dont want my surgery interfered with in any way lol

Thoughts please?

Edited by rmarylee09

Definitely talk to your NUT about your specific requirements.

For my pre-op diet I was supposed to completely avoid starches but fats were ok.

Every surgeon is different.

I was told 3-4 Premier Protien shakes......or others from the approved list.

That enabled me to get into and maintain ketosis when I checked using the test strips........just like being in a low-carb diet.

For me.......40-50 grams of carbs will push the limits...,,,staying under that level virtually ensured it. YMMV.

The ketosis subject never came up with my surgeon......I just was curious and decided to see.

He has always provided very clear instructions on what to eat and how much......all throughout this process.

He never said anything like, "clear liquids"....,he defined exactly what I could have.

I really appreciate simplicity.

I was told to keep it under 50g of carbs a day for the pre-op, and under 100 after. However looking at my food diary I'm naturally on about 10-20g a day. I'm kind of car sensitive when it comes to earing triggers so the lower the better for me. There are Protein shakes thar have low carbs, try another brand.

Sent from my SM-G900H using the BariatricPal App

Just starting my pre-op diet today, I get to have 20-22 grams of carbs and 15 grams of fat and roughly 100 grams of Protein in 700-900 calories.

I'm going to be starving but it will be so worth it!

Good luck with your surgery!

I was told to keep it under 50g of carbs a day for the pre-op, and under 100 after. However looking at my food diary I'm naturally on about 10-20g a day. I'm kind of car sensitive when it comes to earing triggers so the lower the better for me. There are Protein shakes thar have low carbs, try another brand.

The actual shake only has like 9 carbs. I was saying i had around 150 for the day. My surgeon gave me a plan where i can have a bar or shake for Breakfast and lunch and a small meal with 3oz of meat, salad, 2 low cal bread, and unlimited non starchy veggies.

I'm just hoping thats not to many carbs, but i only had about 20g of fat lol idk... my NUT takes forever to call me back so I'm just doing my best. :)

Edited by rmarylee09

Oh I see, well, as I say, I was told less that 50 a day pre-op

That sounds like WAY too many carbs. The way the liver shrinks with the pre-op diet is by depleting your glycogen stores. In order for that to happen you need your body to go into ketosis. Usually, to push your body into ketosis initially, you need to be down around 20-40 carbs per day.

That sounds like WAY too many carbs. The way the liver shrinks with the pre-op diet is by depleting your glycogen stores. In order for that to happen you need your body to go into ketosis. Usually, to push your body into ketosis initially, you need to be down around 20-40 carbs per day.

How many grams of fat were you able to have? My NUT just told me to cut out fat.

Sent from my SM-T217S using the BariatricPal App

How many grams of fat were you able to have? My NUT just told me to cut out fat.

Sent from my SM-T217S using the BariatricPal App

I wasn't given a fat limit. I was only allowed 3 Protein shakes a day and one green salad with calorie-free dressing, so there definitely wasn't much fat!

Here's the plan my NUT gave me...

Unlimited Non starchy vegetables

Breakfast:: Protein shake or bar

Mid morning snack:: 1/2 cup or tennis ball size fruit

Lunch:: Protein Shake or bar

Mid afternoon snack:: 1/2 cup or tennis ball size fruit

Dinner:: 3oz or deck of card size meat

2 pieces or low cal bread OR 6 unsalted crackers OR 1 potato size of computer mouse

1/2 cup or tennis ball size fruit

Bedtime snack:: 1/2 cup or tennis ball size fruit

I didn't have a set plan, I was just told low carbon (less than 50) low fat (less than 20) so I ended up having a shake for Breakfast, Soup for lunch, then a low fat meat with stir fried vegetables for dinner.

I'm on Day 2 of my 2 week liquid pre-op diet and all of you are very lucky! I'm only allowed liquids; as in broth, Decaf coffee (no cream), decaf tea, SF Jello, SF popsicles, and I added a Light and Fit Yogurt in the mix since I am having difficulty getting in 800 calories. Yesterday I only managed 590 calories total. I had a headache all day too. I of course can use Protein shakes, but can only have a total of 60-80 grams of Protein daily. With a Premier Protein shake, they are 30grams of protein for one, so if I do 2 a day, I only have 20 more grams of protein for the day. It's a bit tough, but doing okay so far. I am drinking chicken broth for lunch (2 cups equal 20 calories and less than 2 grams carb with 2 grams Protein. So it is my go-to to fill my stomach up when I get hunger pains.

Hanging in there. Again, you are all lucky your surgeon is allowing so much actual "food" in your pre-op. Good Luck to you all.

i am on day 4 of pre op diet and I am only aloud 4 boost shakes and 2 cups of veggies a day.....only certain veggies at that.....it is rough