Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

VSG in OCT 2011.. Ice water/ hunger question?

I went through the VSG in November 2011. Starting weight was 242, I lost 50 lbs prior to my ssurgery date & over the course of the next year steadily dropped per month. My weight loss bottomed out in 2012 (December) I weighed 127lbs and was looking awful, bruised from just sitting down and was miserable. Over the next 6-7 months I started a new relationship, new jobs, moved to a new state and gained about 30lbs over the course of a year. I try to maintain my weigth about 135, which is where I am comfortable. Currently I'm at 155. I try to do good watching my weight but ti seems like my very biggest struggle is #1 candy, but worse than that, since the surgery I can not stand room temp Water, it has to be ice cold. So I add ice. Then I eat the ice & nearing the bottom of my cup of ice, I get the overwhelming feeling of being painfully starved. & then I eat, Mind you I drink 4-6 cups( 20-32 oz Yeti ramble cups) of ice water a day, but I cant help but being miserably hungry after I finish my ice water. & it's causing me to eat way too many calories and weigh nearly 25 lbs over where I should be.

Anyone dealing with this? I'm desperate b/c I'm so thirsty, but I cant keep up this cycle of eat, drink, eat drink.

I am so sorry to hear that you are struggling.

I don't have any specific experience so all I can really suggest is that you talk to your NUT.

Best of luck.

I hate to admit this btu when I moved states, I stopped seeing the bariatric doctor and nutritionist. I dont even know where to find one less than an hour away.

Have you tried changing the habit, and stop eating ice? I have a big sports drink drinking bottle I put ice in the Water but since I can't get to the ice with the top on, I'd never think of eating it.

I am guessing you are experiencing acid but that is just a guess. Try proselec for a few weeks.When I had a lapband excess acid made me overeat things like yogurt, frozen yogurt, soft ice cream etc. In hindsight I realize I was self medicating for acid I didn't know I had.

I think you need to find a bariatric center of excellence for a check up -my gut feeling is that you should be checked because you used the word painfully to describe your hunger. I was sleeved in 2011 and I don't feel pain, just pangs or twinge of hunger when it is time to eat.

What is your A1c? Sometimes thirst relates to diabetes.

I would try Prilosec for a couple weeks in case it is acid or even ulcers. Also, when you're done drinking (try to not actually eat the ice) and have those horrible hunger pains, take a couple tums or Rolaids (I actually prefer ultra strength Rolaids) instead of eating something. In case it is acid, this could help a lot.

If these things aren't helping, I'd definitely try and find a bariatric center or even a gastroenterologist to try and find out what's going on.

I hear having a craving for ice can be a sign of having low Iron.< /p>

I hate to admit this btu when I moved states, I stopped seeing the bariatric doctor and nutritionist. I dont even know where to find one less than an hour away.

Have you at least had a PCP checking your bloodwork?

No, I hadn't found a doctor down here either. Do I just find a PCP & ask them to run a blood panel> seems like no one ive been to down here even has any idea what a VSG is,,,,

Yeah, I agree with the above. Have some blood work done to rule out anything physically wrong first. Good luck!

No, I hadn't found a doctor down here either. Do I just find a PCP & ask them to run a blood panel> seems like no one ive been to down here even has any idea what a VSG is,,,,

You definitely need to find a PCP.. Tell him or her what you told us and ask for blood work.

If you find a PCP that isn't familiar with bariatric surgery, Typical bloodwork to ask for is a CBC, electrolytes, Chempanel (to check kidney/liver/pancreatic/cardiac function), Vitamin D, B12, iron/ferritin, folate, zinc and Calcium. Those are the nutrients VSG patients are most likely to develop deficiencies in. However, blood calcium level isn't actually a great test for detecting a problem. You'd really need a bone density scan for that. I plan on getting one in the next few years....probably the next time I meet my very high deductible I'll throw it in.

I ate ice a lot! I use to get in my car and drive 2 miles to a restaurant that had shaved ice (my favorite). I took my own 48 oz cup to have it filled with ice. I would eat the ice up before i got home. Turned out, I was anemic. Low Iron. Dr. Prescribed iron pills and cravings for ice went away.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900AZ using the BariatricPal App