Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Nervous about revision

I was banded in November of 2008. I went from a surgery day weight of 316 to my lowest of 236. About a year and a half ago I started having problems. I could not keep anything down, began experiencing right upper quadrant pain, constant reflux and had to have several unfills/refills. In October of 2015 I found out I had a ulcer, esophagus dilation, hiatal hernia and my band had slipped 3 cm. I have also regained back to almost 300 pounds even though my eating habits have not changed significantly. I found out this morning that my insurance has approved the revision from band to sleeve. I have several friends who have had the sleeve and are doing great but don't know anyone personally that has had a revision. I guess I am just nervous and looking for advice and support. My revision should be in early March.

I was banded in November of 2008. I went from a surgery day weight of 316 to my lowest of 236. About a year and a half ago I started having problems. I could not keep anything down, began experiencing right upper quadrant pain, constant reflux and had to have several unfills/refills. In October of 2015 I found out I had a ulcer, esophagus dilation, hiatal hernia and my band had slipped 3 cm. I have also regained back to almost 300 pounds even though my eating habits have not changed significantly. I found out this morning that my insurance has approved the revision from band to sleeve. I have several friends who have had the sleeve and are doing great but don't know anyone personally that has had a revision. I guess I am just nervous and looking for advice and support. My revision should be in early March.

The sleeve is wonderful, you will do good

Sent from my SM-N910T using BariatricPal

You've been through a lot, so I'm happy to hear that your revision has been approved. I'm sure the journey will be easier this time around. Best of luck and congrats!

Hey there, I was banded in 2001 and revised in 2015. I did not have a slip but after a series of fills and unfills I developed a hernia, esophagitis, gastritis, severe left shoulder pain, and a myriad of other band related issues. I felt like crap, developed really bad eating habits including a sweet tooth I did not have before, all because of the band. I was unfilled for three years prior to my revision and regained all my weight.

I feel great now that I have revised and am down the weight I regained. Just a few pounds to go to my lowest after banding. I have no regrets about my revision. The recovery was a little rough for me because of how long I had the band and the hernia repair and because I did not take any pain meds after discharge, but it has been worth it.

Read through the revision boards. There are lots of us on here who have revised and some long term revisions that have done great. Best of luck and feel free to ask any questions.

I had my band same year and almost identical story witch why replying I had my sleeve and hiatal hernia repair Thursday and. 4 days post off I'm sore but taking all my liquid well didn't have to take to many pain meds so far so goo good luck

I had the band also, and it slipped, my weight was down and my bmi was under 28. I was approved for the sleeve. I was very nervous and was did not want to lose to much weight. I had the surgeon make my sleeve bigger than most, he did.

Now I wish I just let him make it normal....

The sleeve is sooooooo different than the band.....

best move I did was having the sleeve

Thank you all! I am equally scared and nervous. I will update as I progress. My surgery coordinator is thinking an early to mid March surgery date.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craig,

I had my lapband installed in 2010. Just last April I discovered that my esophagus was in trouble. I had revision in May. Today, 9 months later and I am very pleased with the outcome with 40 pounds lost. I wish I had chosen sleeve from get go, however, at the time it was too new of a procedure, but, no regrets for me because the band did what it was supposed to do. Here's the awesome thing: Sleeved life is completely different than the banded life. No more stuck episodes, no more sliming, foaming, gurgling, being scared as hell of getting a stomach flu or food poisoning, going to an Emergency room and no bariatric doctor available, fills, unfills, being placed on liquids for 6 weeks at a time, Huber needles, inexperienced fill nurses etc. etc. etc. The very best of the best is that a filled sleeve lets you know when you are full. Full is really full, no questioned asked! This is truly a normal life for me!

The only complaint I have, is that many sleeved patients lose weight much slower and there seems to be more band to sleeve revised patients complaining about slower weight loss. I finally put the scale in the shed and go by how my clothing fit.

Being scared and nervous is normal as you remember from the lapband surgery. Do this, you won't regret it one bit. jake

I was banded in 2009...and revised last June. Best decision ever made. I wish I was banded earlier. You will do fine, just stick to the plan; as you will be able to eat whatever you want, so you have to make good choices...and when you occasionally want to "treat" yourself...not "cheat" yourself; you have to in moderation. I have no regrets my friend! The band was horrible....(no more looking for the nearest restroom in case you have to purge in public or at a friend's home bcuz of band restrictions, etc). Good luck..and if you need any assistance after surgery, just reach out!

Edited by Gambler207

Received my surgery date. I'm scheduled for March 28th.

Received my surgery date. I'm scheduled for March 28th.

How did it all go!?

Cancelled the surgery after wife and parents had a fit.

So sorry to hear your family didn't support the band to sleeve revision. Maybe with some time and education about it all, they will support it. I would ask my parents and spouse to go talk to your surgeon. With all of the issues you are having with the band, you really should get it taken out. My surgeon told me I needed to take my band out or I would eventually end up in the ER having serious complications. Had my band removed 08/2015 and the sleeve done 01/2016. I've lost 42 pounds so far and I feel so much better since I had the band removed. Good luck!

Craig,

Im sorry to hear that you let your family get in the way of your dreams and healthy future. Maybe if you let them read all these great revision success stories maybe they will change their minds. If you read all these stories in revision from band to sleeve they are all 99.9% the same thing. No matter what the decision that yo stay with you have to remove the band or it can cause serious damage later on. i wanted the band out so bad that i was willing to pay for it myself before fighting with insurance. but thank god all went well insurance approve revision to sleeve and removal of band. i too had the band put n in 2006 did great lose 80lbs and about 2 years ago started having problems slip throwing up cant eat acid reflux gerd ect ect. January 2016 decided i had enough and went back to my doc for revision i had surgery a few days ago May 24 revised im am thrilled and doing great 3 days later im walking 2 miles cleaning driving and back to normal following protocol. (oh by the way i had gained all of my weight back.) arrgg im not to upset just as long as the scale is moving the right way im good.

I wish you the best in your decision. keep us posted

The issues just keep on going. I am now up to 310. Just six pounds from my surgery weight. I go next week for another endoscopy because of recurrent pain, reflux, vomiting. One day I have no restriction at all. The next day I can't keep Water down. My gi doctor said the problems would never go away as long as I have a band. I have been totally unfilled since my last endoscopy showed a 3cm slip.

I am miserable. I can not do anything without getting out of breath. I am back on blood pressure medicine, my back and knees hurt, I have developed thrombophlebitis in my left thigh and it's all affecting me emotionally. My wife and parents are still dead set against me having the revision. My dad's word of advice is "just push away from the table" and you will loose the weight. They are all for me having the band removed just not revising to the sleeve.

I guess the one positive going for me is I have a five week old daughter. My wife is afraid if I have the revision I won't live to see her grow up when the exact opposite is more of the truth. I am trying to eat healthy; grilled meats, vegetables and small salads but I'm still gaining weight. I don't know what to do or how to get my family to change their minds. A lot of their negativity stems from my fist wife died of complications indirectly related to gastric bypass.