Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Does the G sleeve work after having the band?

Hi everyone,

I have had tremendous success with my Lab Band over the past 9 years. Lately, Over the past year or so I am experiencing esophageal issues, have developed a hiatal hernia, and the band is not working very well for me anymore. I am in the process of preparing for a conversion to the sleeve and I want to know if it is a smart decision. I used the band as a tool and have maintained over 100 lb weight loss through rigorous exercise and extreme reduction of calorie intake. I had a slip a few years ago and had the band replaced. After the replacement with the "newer" band I did not have as good results. The weight has started slowly coming back a few lbs at a time and I feel like it has been a struggle to maintain.

I had an issue where my esophagus stopped moving food and was working based on gravity so I had the band opened to let it rest. I very quickly gained another 10 lbs. This is so distressing as I know what can happen if I don't take action quickly. Everyone thinks you are "fixed" when you lose the weight. The truth is I don't believe we are ever "fixed . I have resolved to believe this will be a daily priority for the rest of my life.

I would love to hear feedback from folks who have converted. Good and Bad.

Thank you so much!

Alicia

I had my band in 2004 in 2014 it slipped. I quickly gained 89 lbs. may 28 of 2015 I was converted to a sleeve. I have lost 71 lbs so far but the gastric reflux has been so severe that I wake up at night gurgling on Fluid. Last Thursday I was converted to bypass had the hiatal hernia repaired and my gallbladder taken out. So far doing well and no reflux but I am still on Clear Liquids. If you have reflux issues now that was caused by the band I would have bypass.

I had the band in 2011, revision in 2013, and converted to sleeve in 2015. I lost 85 pounds with the band, but gained back 35 of that (started close to 300) I have lost much more with the sleeve than I ever did with the band. Good luck with your journey.

Thank you so much. All of your posts on the site are inspiring and validating my decision. I am a little worried about the GERD issues and wonder if that is in part manageable through food choice...

???? I am in the same situation. I found out yesterday my band has to come out.

Banded in 2001 and did well with weight loss for a while. A series of fills and unfills caused severe shoulder pain, esophagitis, gastritis, and a hiatal hernia. I was miserable for such a long time. Went through a complete unfill in 2012 and regained all my weight. Converted to sleeve in October of 2015 after 14 years with the band and could not be happier. I have in these 4+ months lost what took me almost a year with the band and am more confident that I will reach the goal I never did with the band now that I have my sleeve. My hiatal hernia was repaired when I converted so my reflux and heartburn also resolved.

I cant even imagine regaining all my weight. The journey has been a major life changing event, challenging, rewarding and absolutely amazing. I am sure I am stating the obvious when I say how stressful and emotionally traumatizing it is to helplessly see the lbs creeping back on. Converting to the sleeve has been a difficult decision to make because up until now the band has been my safety net. I have even found my self protecting it from un-fills and removal. LOL I remember when I had slip and the Dr said he had to remove- replace it, I was devastated. Finally, I had a tool that was working to help me reach my goals.

At this point I feel really good about converting. It will be a hiccup, a hurdle in the battle but it will be worth it. I am a firm believer that if something is not broken then don't fix it however, if it is broken there is no sense in waiting any longer. At this point my band is clearly broken. I do not want to wait until I have irreversible damage to my esophagus and there is no way I am going to wait until I gain all my weight back. The insurance companies should recognize the importance of the revision.

I hear some are paying for the conversion to the sleeve on appeal. Any help on this is appreciated as well. My Doctor said they pay to remove the band but have repeatedly deny the sleeve pre- surgery. He has been successful on appeal. Can anyone share recovery time stories. I plan on a week. I work remote from home for the most part so as long as I can prop up with my lap top I will be fine. :)