Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

First Little Scare

Yesterday was a fun experience for me. I found myself being unable to drink even the smallest amount of Water without feeling full and subsequent nausea. The night before I was preparing my meals for the next day (like I do the days before I work). I had boiled some eggs and took a bite into an egg I thought was cooled....it wasn't. Instinctively I swallowed about a 1/3 of an egg that was maybe chewed 3x. For some reason I immediately thought "Man, I hope that doesn't cause a blockage."

As yesterday progressed I knew in my head what was going on, but couldn't bring myself to calling my surgeons office (the NP is on call 24/7). Finally after not being able to keep even water down I made the call. The NP advised me to get Papaya Enzyme tablets and follow our guidebook recommendations (4 tablets - wait 2 hours with repeat x1, then 4 tablets and wait 3 hours). The third dose and time ended up working like a charm and I'm back to water and soft foods until I can tolerate more.

Word of caution: make sure your food is cool enough to eat. Your instincts may kick in and cause you to swallow food that will obstruct your outflow. :huh:

So glad you were able to get things moving again. I can only imagine how scary that must have been. But like you said it'll serve as a constant reminder not to do it again.

Very much so. Bariatric surgery post op is definitely an experiment and continual learning process.

Scary! Glad it's resolved and you're feeling better. I think most of us have or will eventually do some silly thing like this. It's a learning process. :)

I have found that most of the setbacks I've experienced (vomiting, dumping, etc) were my own bone headed mistakes. lol

The feeling of nothing going down, even Water, started to get to me. I think I was more freaked out about the possibility of having to get an upper GI scope done to clear the blockage.

So glad you are doing better. Thanks for the head's up!

pam

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• BeanitoDiego

Still purging all of the larger clothing. This morning, a shirt that I ADORED wearing ended up on top. Hard to let it go, but it was also hard to let go of those habits that also no longer serve my highest good. Onward and upward!
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Onedayatatime365

Looking to connect with others who are also on the journey of better health. Post-Op Gastric Sleeve (4/11/24).
      · 0 replies
    • jparadigm

Happy Wednesday!

I hope everyone is having a lovely week so far! 
      It's been a bit of a struggle this last week...I'm hungry ALL the time.
      · 1 reply
      1. BlondePatriotInCDA

Have a great Wednesday too! Sorry you're hungry all the time, I'm pretty much the same..and I'm sick of eating the same food all the time.

• ChunkCat

Well, tomorrow I go in for an impromptu hiatal hernia repair after ending up in the ER over the weekend because I couldn't get food down and water was moving at a trickle... I've been having these symptoms on and off for a few weeks but Sunday was the worst by far and came with chest pain and trouble breathing. The ER PA thinks it is just esophagitis and that the surgeon and radiologist are wrong. But the bariatric surgeon swears it is a hernia, possibly a sliding one based on my symptoms. So he fit me into his schedule this week to repair it! I hope he's right and this sorts it out. He's going to do a scope afterwards to be sure there is nothing wrong with the esophagus. Here's hoping it all goes well!!
      · 3 replies
      1. AmberFL

omgsh!! Hope all goes well!! Keeping you in my thoughts!

2. gracesmommy2

Hope you’re doing well!

3. NickelChip

I hope it goes well! Sending positive thoughts for a speedy recovery!

• jparadigm

Hello lovlies!
      Today is a beautiful day in west Michigan! I hope you all have a beautiful Tuesday and rest of your week!! 🤗
      · 0 replies
  • Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches