Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What medical tests and procedures did you have to do after surgery and before discharge? I've read about the surgery online but I can only seem to find vague answers. I read about the swallow test- how unpleasant is that? Did you get the compression booties? Did you need alot of blood work? How long did you stay in the hospital? Did anything surprise you about the experience? I've had an emergency csection and I've heard the recovery from gastric is not any worse than that. Ty :)

I had an upper GI the next morning to check for leaks. I couldn't drink anything till it came back clear.

It wasn't bad, I had to drink a minimal amount of mix. It took less than 5 mins to complete the test.

They didn't give me compression booties but they did give me socks.

The only thing that surprised me was how tired I was, and how dry my mouth was. (Take lip balm)

I was in the hospital 2 days

Edited by cindyw41

Thank you! When did the tiredness and dry mouth go away?

I was in the hospital two days and had a leak test on the second day. All I did was stand in front of an xray machine and stand there while I drank a few swallows of dilute barium. It only took a few minutes.

I have had 12 other surgeries including two c sections, and the sleeve was the easiest and least painful recovery of all of them.

The extreme tiredness lasted about 5 days PO. I took naps a lot. Now I burn energy quickly and rest often.

The dry mouth ended when I was able to drink ;)

I'm almost 5 weeks PO

Edited by cindyw41

My surgeon does a leak test during surgery and then uses a drain during the hospital stay, so no additional leak test needed. I did have blood drawn for bloodwork regularly (every six hours? it was annoying, that I remember). I had to have an ultrasound of my legs to check for blood clots before I left, and I had to use the incentive spirometer thingy with the respiratory therapist several times each day. I had to wear compression booties during my stay, also quite annoying!

Friday arrived at clinic at 9:30am. Nurse drew blood, cardiologist ran ECG and went over my health questionnaire. Met with dietician to go over postop instructions. Went to room, changed into gown and put on thigh high compression stockings, which I didn't take off until the next day. Got hooked up to IV fluids and was given a pre anesthetic cocktail. Surgery at 3pm. Back in room around 5 but not real lucid till 9pm. Nothing special postop besides walking, sipping Water and watching TV. Had no pain or nausea.

Saturday discharged at 9am. Walked to Walmart twice that day, watched a movie and napped.

Sunday returned to clinic to have my drain checked and bandage changed. Went shopping in the Avenude Revolucion area before returning to hotel for a nap and evening walk to Walmart (the Walmart treks were mostly so my sister could get her Starbucks fix)

Monday returned to clinic to have drain removed and barium fluoroscopy performed to check for leaks and visualize sleeve. It was very cool to watch the liquid flow through my esophagus, sleeve and intestines. Took Shuttle to airport and flew home that afternoon. Wore compression stockings on the plane.

Bloodwork done at 3, 6, 12 months postop. Have an appointment for my 2 year labs next week.