Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Getting back to me

I'm only 2& a half weeks out of surgery. Still low on energy, still sore, can't go back to work (heavy lifting). I spend all day trying to get in my meds and Protein. Everyday is just a struggle, I don't feel like doing anything but I gotta get my food/protein in, get all my meds in(14 of them!), I honestly am a little miserable. When did you start to feel "you" again? When does the feeling of a normal human come back?

the first few weeks were difficult, because I felt the same way you do now. Just all out of sorts, tired, weak, miserable. But it's about this time that things will start improving exponentially. After 3 weeks or so my recovery sort of jumped forward, and I got to the point where I could almost forget I had surgery unless I was trying to do something really physical or eat. Even now, at almost 6 months, I'm still getting used to a lot of the mental aspects of surgery. But the physical difficulties from surgery greatly reduced pretty quickly and I'm betting they will for you too. Just keep your chin up, keep taking really good care of yourself during this intensive healing time, and you'll be amazed at how great you feel in another two and a half weeks. :)

Somewhere around 7 weeks for me to feel like I was "Back".

Now......at 17 weeks......I feel like I'm "Back....but better than ever".

Stick with the plan and try to walk and exercise as much as you safely can. You'll be there in no time and realize the initial post-op blahs are simply temporary but the new life you evolve into is permanent and filled with AWESOME !!!!!

I am just now 8 weeks out and, as Dub said, I remember thinking last week that I was finally feeling more like myself, only much more peaceful. What I began to notice, once I felt some modicum of control with my eating, was how much more room I had in my brain to notice things around me. I spent so much time thinking about eating, actually eating, feeling bad for eating, I really was just existing. It does become easier, but more importantly is all the awesome awareness that comes with it.

Edited by hyggelieg

It took me about 4 weeks to really start feeling better. The first two weeks were absolute hell, mentally and physically. The puree stage was also terrible and I pray I never have to go back to that! I'm noticing how much more energy I have now (even more than before the surgery) and I love it.

I know it's really hard right now and the last thing you want to hear is "Keep your chin up!" But it will get better, each day is usually a little better than the last. ????