Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My First ER visit since having surgery!

So today I had such bad pain in my rectum do not being able to go the the bathroom for almost a week ½! Lucky I work for a hospital and my co-workers told me its best to go get it checked out in the ER! I had been in touch with the nurse in my bariatric office and she kept saying you need to drink more and take the meds to make you go. (which I had and nothing was working). So when they bought me in to the ER I was so dehydrated. So I had to get fluids in me. It ran for a couple of hours an sure enough I finally went to the bathroom. Ugh I wish I did this a week ago!!

UGH! How awful. I am glad you went to the ER now and now have some relief!

UGH! How awful. I am glad you went to the ER now and now have some relief!

The pain was so bad I was sweating/chills/ shaking. I thought I was going to pass out in my bathroom so many times. This is my only issue since surgery!!

Umm yea, that absolutely happened to me too. I remember having to lay down for a while afterwards. Who knew something like that could give you chills and shaking?! So weird. And BTW, I still have these issues 8 months post-op though not near anything like the first month or so. I take Colace or Senokot-S or Miralax every few days (if not every day). Part of the issue is high Protein which can cause Constipation and fewer bathroom times because we are eating so little.

Umm yea, that absolutely happened to me too. I remember having to lay down for a while afterwards. Who knew something like that could give you chills and shaking?! So weird. And BTW, I still have these issues 8 months post-op though not near anything like the first month or so. I take Colace or Senokot-S or Miralax every few days (if not every day). Part of the issue is high Protein which can cause Constipation and fewer bathroom times because we are eating so little.

I take Miralex everyday. This has to be the worst feeling ever!!!

It was truly the worst side effect I had/have. I remember one day early on, calling the PA at my surgeon's office and crying I was so miserable. When she told me this is something I may have to face forever, I had a total meltdown! I promise it does get better but may always be a little bit of an issue...

It was truly the worst side effect I had/have. I remember one day early on, calling the PA at my surgeon's office and crying I was so miserable. When she told me this is something I may have to face forever, I had a total meltdown! I promise it does get better but may always be a little bit of an issue...

That's good to know I am drinking so much now. I don't want to stretch my sleeve!!! I am still taking sips just a lot now!!!

Great job! Keep it up! :D

Between my husband and I (call us bandy and the sleeve), we don't say we had a poo, we say we had a Tuesday, as we joke that we eat so little, we only do the doo-doo on Tuesdays.

It gets confusing when he says he had a Tuesday on a Thursday.

We have little in the way of entertainment, apparently.

@@Lisa_85 You absolutely CAN NOT stretch your sleeve with liquids, so drink away.

As for the Constipation, metamucil, Benefiber, and miralax did nothing for me. I was still taking milk of magnesia every 3 days to produce a small amount of rock hard, painful stool. And this was with drinking 64-100oz of Water every day.

My saving grace was adding insoluble Fiber. Benefiber, Metamucil and all those Fiber gummies and other fiber supplements are soluble fiber and can actually make constipation worse. Once I Started adding insoluble fiber (sprouted seeds, ground flax seed, apple pectin fiber and Kashi go lean cereal) to my daily diet, I have had soft formed stool and I go almost every day, occasionally every other day. I add these things to my Protein smoothies and/or my Greek yogurt. If I Dont get in my insoluble fiber my stool hardens up within a day or two and I'm back to taking milk of magnesia to get it out.