Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone had their surgery cancelled?

My surgery is Monday but just today my friends husband was supposed to have surgery but he cannot give up his tobacco (snuff) so it was cancelled ....by the surgeon. Not a shocker. He should've known.

My surgery is Monday but just today my friends husband was supposed to have surgery but he cannot give up his tobacco (snuff) so it was cancelled ....by the surgeon. Not a shocker. He should've known.

Did the surgeon give your friends husband a nicotine test prior to the surgery????

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

I have heard of it happening, at the hospital I went to. The patient decided to go all out, eating, the week before his surgery. He went out to eat quite a bit. He gained weight and the surgeon cancelled it. I don't think that would be a common mistake, though.

Sent from my SM-G860P using BariatricPal

Did the surgeon give your friends husband a nicotine test prior to the surgery????

No, he didn't have to because he admitted he had not stopped.

My surgeon cancelled another patient's surgery because she didn't lose the required amount of weight preop. She had travelled all the way to Mexico, but hadn't followed the preop plan. It was made very clear to us exactly how much we needed to lose in order to reduce surgical complications so it was her own fault.

I've read a couple other threads from patients who's surgeries were rescheduled due to severe weather.

My surgery was supposed to be March 8th, I got there and during prep they checked my BP and it was extremely elevated so they cancelled the surgery. I had my IV and everything it was like 15 minutes prior. I was absolutely devastated.

I have had surgery canceled due to insurance issues. My surgeon was not a part of my medical group, but everyone involved thought he was. However, I still had it just some time later.

On 2/12/2016 at 7:44 PM, nicky2221 said:

Has anyone had their surgery cancelled for any reason?

Yes unfortunately. My a1c was too high and he cancelled. I had already been prepped with an IV. I had done all the requirements and he cancelled. I had adult children who came from miles away. I myself live in the next city over. I was shocked, angry (blood work could have done prior to) , felt deceived. He did emphasize and explain the danger in moving forward. He said the cuts he made inside and out wouldn’t heal at the normal pace and I could hemorrhage. I surely don’t want that to happen. I cried for two days. All of my family was there with me.... so..... that happened January 29th, 2020. My first appointment back at the bariatric program is this Wednesday. I’m a little anxious to find out what all I have to do “now”. I don’t feel my sugar would have been at 8.1 if I hadn’t been pressed to drink all those Protein Shakes a month early. I’m good tho, it what it is. I just hope it isn’t long before I can get back in.

On 2/12/2016 at 7:44 PM, nicky2221 said:

Has anyone had their surgery cancelled for any reason?