Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My first week sleeved 9th February

So off I went very prepared for my gastric sleeve. I knew in my head what to expect but actually living it.. Well let's say it's different.. For me I have ended up with a chest infection kept in hospital one more day and on high doses of antibiotics. Nobody's fault just my compromised immune system.. So of course the first thing I do was weigh myself when I got home to my shock I have gained 6lbs and have not eaten a thing just clear broth and apple juice.. Plus the flatulence smell is to make any sulphur plant smell like a perfume factory.. So here I sit in the dark coughing and spluttering plus the sulphur rises and dissipates lol.. How about you? I am on day five now..

So off I went very prepared for my gastric sleeve. I knew in my head what to expect but actually living it.. Well let's say it's different.. For me I have ended up with a chest infection kept in hospital one more day and on high doses of antibiotics. Nobody's fault just my compromised immune system.. So of course the first thing I do was weigh myself when I got home to my shock I have gained 6lbs and have not eaten a thing just clear broth and apple juice.. Plus the flatulence smell is to make any sulphur plant smell like a perfume factory.. So here I sit in the dark coughing and spluttering plus the sulphur rises and dissipates lol.. How about you? I am on day five now..

I am sorry that you are having a hard time, it will all be worth it in the end. I was sleeved on the 8th and it's still a work in progress. This gas thing is pretty gross lol but it's necessary. Mine is mostly belching but oh wells. They say that some people do gain after so don't stress yourself, I would stay off of the scale until you are healed from your cough and able to get in liquids and Protein.

@@dietbelle hang in there. Day three I wanted to cut my tummy open to get rid of that dang gas pain. Day 5 I cried all day.... 11 and I feel amazing.

No pain...no gas...no longer tired....kind of sick of not chewing but hey... I'm okay.

My advise... drive know Water and sleep. ???? take care of you while you heel ????

The first few days are the WORST and yours sound even worse than average due to the chest infection. Don't fret about the weight gain, that is all just the IV fluids and swelling. Hang in there an just try to do a little more each day. Inch closer and closer to your Fluid and Protein goals. Sip, sip, sip and walk, walk, walk.

I got very dehydrated and had to stay another night. I gained weight also because they pump you full of liquids! Just keep at it and you will start moving in the right direction.

Hey thank you all for your positive thoughts. This chest infection is just the worst! I am trying very hard to stick to the regime of fluids and walking.. Gas seems a bit better today... This op is not for the faint hearted is it?

Like everyone has already said the first several days can be difficult, but it does get better. Regarding your weight gain, the surgeon had to pump you up with gas in order to visual the stomach and other organs. If your farting or burping that's good, the gas is coming out. If you were on IV antibiotics for the chest infection, that's extra Fluid you've taken in. All this should pass. Hang in there.

Hang in there! I just got sleeved Feb 11th and am still in the hospital. I had a lot of drama last week of having an infected tooth and having to get it pulled, put on antibiotics, trying to get all my work done so I can be out for 2 weeks. Then the day before surgery, surgeons office calls saying theres a $1000 copay and $750 deductible because the hospital is a tier 2 not a tier 1. Going back and forth finally got everything straight: its a tier 1. Whew

I have asthma and used my inhaler before surgery like I always do before surgery. Turns out midway through the surgery I have an asthma attack. After recovery I end up in ICU. I stayed there for the day of surgery and the day after. I couldn't urinate so I ended up with a catheter. I finally relieved myself and I feel like a proud mommy "I peed!!"

Just about an hour ago I was transferred from ICU to a regular room where I am now. I am scheduled to be discharged in the morning.

I never thought Id be full from drinking next to nothing but I am. Only 1 oz per 15 min. I do have gas and burb every now and again. The doc found I had a hiatal hernia and the hole he had to close was pretty big. Who knew! Its nice not having heartburn!

Hang in there! I just got sleeved Feb 11th and am still in the hospital. I had a lot of drama last week of having an infected tooth and having to get it pulled, put on antibiotics, trying to get all my work done so I can be out for 2 weeks. Then the day before surgery, surgeons office calls saying theres a $1000 copay and $750 deductible because the hospital is a tier 2 not a tier 1. Going back and forth finally got everything straight: its a tier 1. Whew

I have asthma and used my inhaler before surgery like I always do before surgery. Turns out midway through the surgery I have an asthma attack. After recovery I end up in ICU. I stayed there for the day of surgery and the day after. I couldn't urinate so I ended up with a catheter. I finally relieved myself and I feel like a proud mommy "I peed!!"

Just about an hour ago I was transferred from ICU to a regular room where I am now. I am scheduled to be discharged in the morning.

I never thought Id be full from drinking next to nothing but I am. Only 1 oz per 15 min. I do have gas and burb every now and again. The doc found I had a hiatal hernia and the hole he had to close was pretty big. Who knew! Its nice not having heartburn!

Wow... you have been whirling. Glad you are out of ICU and on the road to recovery. ????

Gosh I sound absolutely pathetic complaining about my chest infection and flatulence.. You have been through the ringer haven't you? Just goes to show you all the pre planning and dieting in the world doesn't mean the operation will not affect you.

Asthma attack in the middle of the surgery that's amazing the surgeon must be really good! Well done so far.. You're doing really well..

So are you! We all have our trials and tribulations. I would assume to with a lung infection your coughing a lot and that cant be easy ouch!

They just weighed me and Im 14lbs higher then when I came in. Im assuming from all the gas pumped in and what not. I read others had a hogher weight post op so I was prepared for that.

I can't wait to go home today! This 6:00 wake up call is crazy lol.

Feel better!!

Oh isn't hospital just awful no sleep! Today is day 6 and apart from a headache starting to feel much better still coughing but much much better thank goodness for antibiotics. The flatulence has left the building! Well I think so! Wow that was something else???? So now I have just a headache and trying to keep Fluid supply up and keeping Protein down.

I have never been so focused on a diet like this ever and I've been on a few lol.. I think it's the fluid intake. So it's true it gets better as you go on..

I'm very fortunate in not having experienced any nausea. I just got home from the hospital, made my way through the rambunctious parade of pets and had 4 oz of Protein Shake. I guess im good for the next few hours! Im on Roxy for the pain. Ive taken 2 weeks off to recuperate.

I was just sleeved Feb 8th and I also have not lost very much, but I do believe it is from the Fluid and gas! I still have gas pain and I cannot sleep in bed because my stomach pulls down because I sleep on my side. I am so relieved to find other sleeves who are in the same spot in their journey! I posted on another site and people were not as friendly and tod me to cut myself some slack and I just want info because there is not a lot of first and 2nd week post op info out there. : )

I was just sleeved Feb 8th and I also have not lost very much, but I do believe it is from the Fluid and gas! I still have gas pain and I cannot sleep in bed because my stomach pulls down because I sleep on my side. I am so relieved to find other sleeves who are in the same spot in their journey! I posted on another site and people were not as friendly and tod me to cut myself some slack and I just want info because there is not a lot of first and 2nd week post op info out there. : )

You're not alone, all of our bodies are different and info is important. I have to sleep on my side also and have found that if I keep a pillow pressed against my stomach it's doable. I can't do the back sleeping thing as I have severe Migraines and that just eggs them on.