Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Week 2 after surgery

Hello everyone,

So I'm at day 9 after surgery and I've been feeling pretty good. I have some pain on my large incision but I've been icing it and it seems to help. I don't know if I'm pushing it but I've been able to eat solid foods. I ate chicken, tuna, crab and scrambled egg at the 7,8 and 9th day. I tolerate it well and had no issues. I obviously only eat until full which is about 5 spoonfuls. Should I continue or could I damage anything eating solids that soon?

Thanks Ed

Go slow, I know there is a real feeling of seeing what you can tolerate early. I know everyone's plan is different, and that some people tolerate things better than others. However, you only get one chance to heal right. No reason to rush it and even chance that something may not go right. If your not supposed to be on soft foods yet, don't test it... Stick with the basics and the first few weeks of restrictions will be past.

My other suggestion was to maybe try some yogurts.

My surgeon warned me that little bits of food could get caught in the staples and potentially cause abscesses etc, so you may be a bit early. What did your surgeon recommend? Follow the doctor's instructions you were given.

They said week two is puréed foods, creamed Soups, pudding etc. I have been chewing to excess though with the foods I've been eating. I'm pretty much swallowing mush.

My surgeon had me on liquids (thin enough to pass through a fork) for the week in hospital and two weeks after, then I'll go on to blended/mushy for two weeks, then solids. Every surgeon is different though, so stick with whatever yours says.

Sounds like everyone has about the same plan. I was sleeved 6 days ago on the 8th and I am still on full liquids (broth, strained Soups with no lumps, popcicles, etc). I get mushy foods on weeks 3 and 4, and nothing solid until week 5. I would talk to your surgeon. That seems way too early for solids.

My doctor said it was ok what I ate as long as I tolerated it. Now for the next month I'm on a soft diet. Anything that can be cut with a fork. No raw fruits, vegetables and nuts. At the 6 week mark I will be allowed anything.

Wow.

I stayed on liquids for 4 weeks post-op due to concerns over my new sleeve healing properly.

Now....at 4 months I am having 1/2 cup size meals of chicken, steak, tuna and other fish.

The 1/2 cup size meal is what the surgeon emphatically stressed I stick with.

I do not eat until full. I can't stand that sensation.

I take my time and eat the recommend amounts over 20 minutes per meal.

When can I expect a bowel movement? I am 14 days post-op today. Tomorrow I start most foods ground to a pate like consistency for a week then 4th week new normal diet. Thanks for any info....

I agree with nlo127, I had a bowel movement my second day and have had one every day since, there is no reason not to have one for so long. I would get some prune juice in to you pronto and speak to your doc if a laxative doesn't work.

I console myself that there is nothing solid in there to move but the prune juice does sounds like a good option. Thanks

I had surgery the day after you. :) It's definitely tempting to stray from your surgeon's plan, but I encourage you to stick with what they have advised you. I was also warned of solid food getting stuck and causing issues. It's very hard to stay with the liquids (I start pureed in two days), especially since I've now been on liquids for almost a month, but I keep reminding myself that IF something were to happen, I'd end up in the hospital again, which I don't want to happen!