Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New state and can't find a doctor who accepts banded patients

Hi all,

I've never posted before so bear with me. I had my band surgery in Maryland in 2010. A few months later my husband got a new job in Texas and we moved. A year and a half later we moved again to western Washington. I've struggled since then to find doctors that will accept patients who had their bands done by another surgeon. The ones I have found have no interest in actually helping me get back on track with my weight loss. They are there for fills and fills only. One honest doctor said "I am only interested in surgery, the aftermath is not my problem." Has anyone else encountered this? Do your doctor's accept already banded patients?

Maybe I was spoiled by the excellent team that did my surgery, but I was much more successful with the accountability and feedback I received in Maryland. An impersonal fill doesn't help me. I'm looking for a more hands on experience, not just a quick stick and credit card swipe. Perhaps I'm fooling myself. What are your fill experiences like?

I am very concerned by this. My surgery was done through a Center of Excellence in Bariatric Surgery, so it wasn't like I had some off label surgery. It makes me wonder why the major hospitals in the area won't accept transferring patients. The only answer I received was that they don't have the capacity. But then I was referred to "smaller" clinics in the area that take existing patients, so go figure. I question their desire to actually help people lose weight as opposed to their desire to bill for surgery.

Although I initially loved my band and have had no major problems (knock on wood), I would caution those who consider this surgery to think about their long-term location plans. If you think you will be moving, beware, finding a new doctor may be challenging. Also, changing insurance means that you may not have coverage anymore, if you were lucky enough to have it in the first place. This is something I didn't think of before getting banded and may have led me to postpone surgery until I was more settled.

Thanks!

Hi, I don't have any idea where in Western Washington you are, but if you're anywhere near Olympia, I highly recommend my lap band surgeon Dr. William Neal. He and his staff are top notch !! I'm 4 years post op, and I still feel incredibly lucky that not only did I have the insurance to pay for the surgery, but had a caring and professional team to help along the way. Good luck to you !!!

I live in Katy, TX and have the same issues. Did you have any luck finding someone to take you as a patient in the area. I do know that University of Texas Bariatrics team will take you. I am still struggling because I need a doctor without insurance policy since my new insurance won't cover this type of support.