Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Wondering if I'll be successful

I had vsg surgery 1-20-16. Sw 301 Hw 293 week three weigh in 278.I'm hoping to be at 265 by the end of the month. I would like to work out more at this time it's minimal. I have trouble getting in more than 60grams of Protein and at least 64oz Water. I have been reading other vsg post and im not sure if I'll be successful at this. I am on soft foods currently and so far I've had salmon and really fine beef. I've had a very small portion of broccoli and mashed potatoes. I've tried sugar free ice cream and I've also had Cheeto puffs. I guess I read thru post and I feel abnormal because majority seem to have a hard time tolerating food and i haven't displayed any discomfort with foods. I know this may be a silly concern I just don't see anyone else discussing similar food choices lol. What are your thoughts? Or what has helped u?

I would just suggest that you be cautious of the carbs in the sugar free ice cream, mashed potatoes, and the Cheetos that you mentioned. This is just me but I try to avoid almost all carbs unless they are from fruit vegetables or limited whole grains. I lose faster when I don't eat many carbs at all. Also with as early out as you still are you need to focus on the Protein first and not waste space in your stomach with the carb items. If you stick to it you can be successful.

Edited by reree6898

Congratulations on your progress so far.

I would recommend that you not set specific goals related to losing a certain amount of weight by a certain date. I find it much more effective to set goals related to inputs and activities, not results.

For example, instead of a goal of losing x pounds by x date, set goals that will help you reach your Protein and Fluid targets. Example, drink 8 oz of Water when you get up, another 8 oz before lunch, etc.

Getting in your Protein and Fluid is important for weight loss and healing.

Just a note, but I don't think I have ever seen cheese puffs as an allowed or recommended food on any post-op food plan. By week three I was still on soft foods. If you are unsure about what foods are recommended please contact your NUT.

Also, just a heads up, but you are due to have your first stall at about three weeks post op. It is a normal, natural, and necessary part of the process. Don't freak out.

Were you given guidelines about what foods to eat when? Broccoli at less than a month out seems not safe.. and I won't even comment on the cheetos. You should be following the plan your nutritionist and/or surgeon gave you. Your body isn't going ti necessarily violently reject the wrong foods. You have to reject them with your brain, because your stomach is still healing, nerves are damaged, and the signals your stomach is sending to your brain may be messed up.

Water and Protein need to be your NUMBER ONE priorities right now. You have to do it. You are saying your body isn't rejecting any foods you try and yet in the same breath say you can't get all your Protein and Water in. That makes no sense.

On soft foods I was able to do canned tuna, refried Beans, eggs, yogurt and such. I never had any trouble tolerating food.

Thank you for these honest opinions! Keep them coming. Im trying different Protein intakes and Water I've have gotten better. I'm not eating these things all day or for every meal. The cheetos was a one time thing I was curious. I posted this to be real I'm sure other people have tried it. Thank you for the goal set ideal that's logical. Also my NUT said that I could have broccoli etc as long as it was soft and after protein.

Thank you for these honest opinions! Keep them coming. Im trying different Protein intakes and Water I've have gotten better. I'm not eating these things all day or for every meal. The cheetos was a one time thing I was curious. I posted this to be real I'm sure other people have tried it. Thank you for the goal set ideal that's logical. Also my NUT said that I could have broccoli etc as long as it was soft and after protein.

I'm really glad you posted and are being honest. I hope some of the advice you've received will help you out. The broccoli thing is interesting. I wasn't allowed fibrous veggies until further out. Goes to show that every plan is different! The important thing is that you stick to the plan you were given.

I had vsg surgery 1-20-16. Sw 301 Hw 293 week three weigh in 278.I'm hoping to be at 265 by the end of the month. I would like to work out more at this time it's minimal. I have trouble getting in more than 60grams of Protein and at least 64oz Water. I have been reading other vsg post and im not sure if I'll be successful at this. I am on soft foods currently and so far I've had salmon and really fine beef. I've had a very small portion of broccoli and mashed potatoes. I've tried sugar free ice cream and I've also had Cheeto puffs. I guess I read thru post and I feel abnormal because majority seem to have a hard time tolerating food and i haven't displayed any discomfort with foods. I know this may be a silly concern I just don't see anyone else discussing similar food choices lol. What are your thoughts? Or what has helped u?

Hey there! Congrats on the weight loss so far!

I had my surgery the day before you, so I can tell you a little of what I've been eating or drinking if that helps. Though I am British so some of the suggestions and instructions given to me will probably differ to what you've been told :) I'm on a blended diet for weeks 2-5/6, which means the consistency of baby food!

I make myself blended meals in my nutribullet for savoury food and there's always enough for four or more meals - mostly fresh salmon flakes or chicken chunks or ham chunks or tuna fish mixed with things like vegetable ratatouille or mashed carrot and swede (both of these are cooked first and then blended with the ready to eat meat, or occasionally a little homemade mashed potato with skimmed milk and some gravy (thin made from good stock just to blend it better). I eat fromage frais yogurts, low fat mousses, these high Protein low cal (100kcal 125g) vanilla puddings that have 15g of protein, ready brek, and greek yogurt with blended fruit (strawberries, raspberries, peaches, pears).

I drink a cup of coffee first thing in the morning (no sugar, skimmed milk) and throughout the day I mostly have Water with a little light fruit juice mixed in (I prefer red grape juice as it tastes like Ribena when mixed with water). It's also easier to put that in a 500ml bottle so I know how much water I've drunk. I also have high protein milk, milkshakes, and mocha mix to add to my protein at the end of the day if I feel like I haven't had very much.

I would most definitely stay away from cheeto puffs and ice cream, and maybe blend the broccoli when soft if you're going to eat that. But there are plenty of veg that are mashable, so it might be worth just taking the time to wander around the supermarket and see what you could make :)

In terms of exercise - have you thought about swimming? I hate walking (I know thats pretty weird, but when I'm doing it for the sake of walking and not to say shop or get somewhere I hate it) so I've started going to the local pool every other day to do lengths for 30 minutes and it's a great, relaxing workout! (plus, i burn about 326 calories each time).

Let me know if there's anything else you're a little unsure on at this stage - and is it okay to add you as a friend? I think you're literally the only person I've found that's really close to my circumstances - same age and nearly the same surgery date and weight! :D

Hi I too had surgery 14th January in the UK. I've lost 23lbs as of today (in one month) so I'm happy with that.

I have been sticking to mainly protien, mushy vegetables ensuring I chew well and I've been fine. I also have low sugar Cereal like bran flakes or weetabix with 1% milk or fat free yoghurt/Greek yogurt and puréed fruit. I also eat banana now well chewed or course. I notice if I focus on drinking more I lose more. It's difficult sometimes but trying. Exercise I walk at the on my treadmill maybe two-four times a week. Only started this 2 weeks ago. Walking now uphill and a bit for faster for about 30 mins. I would love to start Zumba sometime soon, just wanted to be a little lighter before I go as I am a little shy.

You all seem to be doing really well so well done!

Edited by GoldenFemale

Hi I too had surgery 14th January in the UK. I've lost 23lbs as of today (in one month) so I'm happy with that.

I have been sticking to mainly protien, mushy vegetables ensuring I chew well and I've been fine. I also have low sugar Cereal like bran flakes or weetabix with 1% milk or fat free yoghurt/Greek yogurt and puréed fruit. I also eat banana now well chewed or course. I notice if I focus on drinking more I lose more. It's difficult sometimes but trying. Exercise I walk at the on my treadmill maybe two-four times a week. Only started this 2 weeks ago. Walking now uphill and a bit for faster for about 30 mins. I would love to start Zumba sometime soon, just wanted to be a little lighter before I go as I am a little shy.

You all seem to be doing really well so well done!

I meant to reply sooner but I just had eye laser surgery and the light on my screens was killing me - even with my goggles on! I'm using sunglasses in a dark room now and it's blurry but effective ???? my poor body probably thinks it's being punished!!

Well done on your weight loss! Where did you have it done?

I forgot to mention scrambled eggs - no added milk or butter, just two large eggs and seasoning. Good source of Protein and a yummy Breakfast. I'm trying to eat more oats at the minute cause my blood results show I have very low cholesterol and it needs a boost!

What about trying Aqua Zumba or swim fit? A lot of the local pools in the UK have it and if you're shy about your body it's mostly under Water ???? the class is all shapes and sizes and they always seem to have fun!