Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I just went to the doctor for the lap band check in. I didn't feel well with this surgery. I asked him if I can get it reversed and he said he couldn't do it because my insurance would not pay. What should I do? Can you change insurance to be able to get the lap band removed or repaired?

Hi, you didn't give a whole lot of background info...

But anyways -

Is this surgery new? How long ago did you have it done?

What kinds of problems are you having?

I know for me - I had to have mine removed in an emergent status so it was just booked by a general surgeon and it was taken out. I originally got my band done in Mexico but had it taken out here in British Columbia Canada, where I live and it eas covered under medical/insurance.

I don't know where you live or how your insurance works but will it be covered if it need's to be taken out or repaired emergently?

Edited by heather5565

I live in New york. I got the lap band about 2 years ago. I am not feeling good with it. The doctor told me my main insurance may not cover the expenses for the lap band removal.

I get a slight pain where the port is with the lap band. I also have a diagnosis with depression and anxiety. The lap band has made these things much worse. I have a tightness in my stomach area and cramping. That's the best way I could describe this to you. I live in New York.

Hi Green,

Sorry to hear that you dont feel well but you still are not giving enough information for someone to give you advise. Im in New York too i had my lapband put in 10 years ago just got it removed last Tuesday for a revision to sleeve but couldnt do the sleeve because when doc went in it had slipped so he just removed the band and i am scheduled for the sleeve in 6 weeks. What insurance do you have why do you want it out. why is the doctor saying you cant take it out. who is your doctor. do you want something else (revision) or is it just to soon .. ?????

I had my lap band removed in October 2015 and had it for 15 years. It was mostly useless and I felt hungry much of the time and needed heavy dieting to keep my weight stable. I could not eat large portions with the band and have gained 9 lbs weight since removal. I had to go private for removal in U K and it cost me approx.$6000 and as the band was embedded I now have a lot of wound scars.

I'm thinking about the VGS and don't recommend the band.

I had my lap band removed in October 2015 and had it for 15 years. It was mostly useless and I felt hungry much of the time and needed heavy dieting to keep my weight stable. I could not eat large portions with the band and have gained 9 lbs weight since removal. I had to go private for removal in U K and it cost me approx.$6000 and as the band was embedded I now have a lot of wound scars.

I'm thinking about the VGS and don't recommend the band.

I had the lap band approximately 18 months ago. Ever since then I have been experiencing a lot of cramping and pain in the mid section around the port. I want to get it removed. I may actually get it removed by another surgeon or doctor. It isn't worth what it has done to me because the pain and discomfort really stinks.

Green1 get the band Xrayed to make sure it's in the right place before you remove it. From what I see the American insurance. People won't pay unless there is a medical reason for removal.

Best wishes for a good outcome.

I had emergency surgery to remove my lapband after 2 years of having it due to a stomach erosion leaking toxins into my body. I learned to eat more Protein and less carbs. I follow a diabetic diet plan. I have lost from 222 to 162. 30 lbs of that was after the lapband was removed four years ago. I am not at my goal weight but at least I am alive and not sick all the time.

I do have one question.... Has anyone had an issue with not being able to vomit after having a stomach erosion and lapband removal? Every time I get a virus or nauseated and feel I need to throw up, I cannot. Instead, I get flushed and feel like I am going to pass out. I have to lay down. It has been since 2012 and I have not thrown up since. Now the two years I had the lapband I threw up all the time.