Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

8 days out and getting cold feet

So, I'm 8 days out and having my doubts....

I've been getting negative push back from some family "this is permanent", "you don't look like you need to lose that much", "you'll regret it later", " you're never going to be able to go out to eat and enjoy"...I"m sure you've heard it all before. I've been trying some of the Protein Shakes and am really not loving them but I guess it's only temporary. For someone in their 40's, I sound like a big baby. There's a voice inside me saying don't do it, try dieting again, if you can commit to the sleeve you can commit to the diet.

Just venting I guess...nerves building.

Cold feet? It's nice and toasty here on the "Losers' Bench". We're here waiting for you. Since you're from NY, hell, I'll even rub your feet for you!! :)

It would be of some concern if you DIDN'T have some doubt and fear going into WLS. It is not just a diet. It is a life changer. We on this site will give you support, support and then some support. Talk to us. Read about us in "My story". Ask questions--no question is too silly, simple or non-important. If we don't know the answer, we can probably "round table" together with you to find it. Medical advise we should not give, but can point you to the right people who can.

Hang in there! You're almost to the starting gate!

Yup, you're normal. ;)

Totally normal. Most of us (except a few die hards who KNEW they were doing the right thing) went through the back and forth of "should I or shouldn't I?" I was kind of a die hard, but still did what you're doing with the doubts.

At 18 months out, I assure you I have no regrets whatsoever. I didn't have a lot to lose (relatively) either. But it was effecting my health, my lifestyle, and my psychological state. I knew I had lost and gained so many times before, this was the reset I needed to change my life once and for all. And it did.

I go out to eat and enjoy food. I go to parties, the movies, camping, cook for my family, etc. My life is totally normal with one exception.... I am now not a slave to food and my weight.

As the legendary ad for Nike says, JUST DO IT. You won't regret it! Look at the picture I've attached. Do I LOOK like I regret this??

post-212472-0-62129700-1455125272_thumb.jpg

That's something you really have to answer yourself. It will be hard and if you like to party and eat for fun it will really be hard. The truth is that to make it work you have to change your eating patterns and thoughts. I have had some of the same thoughts as you mention but for maybe different reasons. I have lost 60 plus pounds many times before but slowly I always let it sneak back and add to it. I am finally pulling the trigger on surgery because I hope its the tool to keep me in line when I start oozing back up. I am much older and I am just tired of carrying another adult around on my back.

I only told one of my daughters so far and will tell the oldest one right before my surgery. None of my other family members know. It is no one's business. Yes it is nice to have support from family and friends. Just be careful not to fall in the trap of lies people tell about how you look. It is your life and you are the one who is carrying all the extra weight around. Do what is best for you. Having the surgery will make you commit to a lifestyle change. It is obvious all of who have finally decided to have the surgery realize we can't do it on our own. Good luck and don't listen to the nay sayers.

This thread will encourage you. It currently has 1, 277 reasons why we went ahead and had bariatric surgery.

http://www.bariatricpal.com/topic/219831-what-was-your-final-straw-that-broke-the-camels-back/page-128?hl=%2Bfinal+%2Bstraw#entry4074142

Pre-Buyers Remorse???

You are pretty typical :/

Common response a couple of months out??? WISHED I HAD DONE IT SOONER!

NO Regrets!!!

I thought this was a post-op thread initially...don't worry, you've made a great decision, just stay true and don't fret. 8 days out on the other side, you will literally be getting cold feet from a reduced caloric intake. Good luck with your surgery!

Completely normal for everyone, You are not alone.

I am 64 either whipped most men who had to have it or scared them away, didn't kill two wives who ran around with other men and then left,i love animals but this surgery scares the hell out of me. I dont feel right about it from a religious stand point. if your a Christian tell me im wrong , i need it for health and family. hate to stand before god having made the decision to remove part of my body by choice. only christians reply please .

I don't think you're wrong. God doesn't "create junk". He created you just perfect--a reflection of Himself. However, you (and I) have damaged His perfect creation. I look upon my WLS as me correcting the damage that I have done to His perfection. I hope to stand in front of my God, with a body as close to the body He blessed me with.

ty, people who care find a way to the truth

Edited by hoot temple

So, I'm 8 days out and having my doubts....

I've been getting negative push back from some family "this is permanent", "you don't look like you need to lose that much", "you'll regret it later", " you're never going to be able to go out to eat and enjoy"...I"m sure you've heard it all before. I've been trying some of the Protein shakes and am really not loving them but I guess it's only temporary. For someone in their 40's, I sound like a big baby. There's a voice inside me saying don't do it, try dieting again, if you can commit to the sleeve you can commit to the diet.

Just venting I guess...nerves building.

i was the same way prior to surgery. But, I stuck to the preop diet without cheating. It was then I realized I could do this and have no regrets. I was sleeved on 2/8 and I am so happy I did it!! Best of luck!!