Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I was just wondering if anyone had an eating disorder after surgery? I know My Doctor told us during a Seminar that it can happen.

As in ... not eating enough? Restricting food in ways that makes you lose too much? Anorexia? Even bulimia?

Those aren't on my list of challenges. But yes, a few people who post here and on other message boards have some of those issues. Some have reported that they suffered from anorexia when they were younger, and then became overweight/obese. But I don't know whether all of them have that anorexic history.

Post-op, these folks are usually in the very bottom of the normal BMI scale, but some have drifted into the underweight category.

In the cases I'm thinking about, they report that they worry a lot about regaining their weight. Yes, that's a concern for most of us, but not to the extent that it seems these folks worry about it.

Re bulimia, I don't know to what extent that happens. But some WLS patients do seem to throw up quite a bit post-op -- probably more than they ever have vomited before, so I can see it could be possible for a WLS patient to "harness" that new "ability" to purge after over-eating -- but I really don't know to what extent it happens in that manner.

No, I mean after the surgery?

I WAS talking about people who are post-op. Some of them have families who are very worried about their underweight condition. Some of them are also worried about their underweight condition. Some of them have even been hospitalized in attempts to address their eating disorders.

P.S. What is more common, however, is that people who've been overweight for decades or even most of their lives lose weight rapidly during WLS -- and then they and/or their families get a bit freaked out when they actually enter the "normal" (not overweight or underweight) BMI ranges. They look SO different than they have for years (or ever) that they are told by well-meaning friends / family members that they're now "too skinny." It's easy to see how that kind of feedback can really screw with your head when you're also trying to rationalize the image in the mirror with your long-time self-image. When you've been overweight for so long it's hard to accustom yourself to what "normal" really does look like. It doesn't make it any easier to transition to this new perspective when two-thirds of the American population is overweight or obese. Some doctors literally tell their patients, "Nobody remembers what 'normal' looks like anymore."

P.P.S. One final comment ... here's a link to a Washington Post article citing research that shows how much weight Americans have gained over the years. For instance, today's average US woman now weighs (166 pounds) what the average US male weighed in the early 1960s.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2015/06/12/look-at-how-much-weight-weve-gained-since-the-1960s/

Yes, I have seen what appears to be people developing eating disorders after surgery on these boards. I have seen people with unaddressed/untreated eating disorders on these boards. I have seen people with disordered eating on these boards. I have seen people have or develop body dysmorphia. I have seen people who are practicing alcoholics on these boards. I have seen people transfer addictions on these boards.

The bottom line for me is that seeking help early for whatever your issues and challenges are is a good thing.

Your NUT is a great resource for determining if your approach to eating and food is healthy.

Listen to your psych eval recommendations. If that involves getting a counselor or therapist, then get one. If you just need help dealing with change, then get one.

Attend bariatric support group meetings and/or twelve step recover meetings (OA, AA, CODA, NA, ALANON, GA, etc.) if you need them.

WLS is not a magic bullet. It is a catalyst for a whole range of physical, emotional, social, spiritual, and psychological changes.

As we become healthier we may find that we are confronted with issues that we had buried or avoided for years by eating. That along with hormonal changes and fluctuations can be challenging.

For me, WLS is about getting healthy.

I hope this helps answer your question. Is there a particular reason his statement resonated with you?

Some people have a hard time eating, even months out from surgery. Some aren't hungry. Some struggle with constant nausea. Some have emotional/mental issues surrounding food (recently someone posted that they can't even stand to be around other people eating anymore). That's why it is important to follow your surgeon and nutritionist's plan and seek counseling if you are struggling with any aspect of your post-op life.

P.P.S. One final comment ... here's a link to a Washington Post article citing research that shows how much weight Americans have gained over the years. For instance, today's average US woman now weighs (166 pounds) what the average US male weighed in the early 1960s.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2015/06/12/look-at-how-much-weight-weve-gained-since-the-1960s/

WOO-HOO, We are the overall fattest Nation!

U.S.A.! U.S.A.! U.S.A.!

:(

Edited by 4MRB4PHOTO

Yes, I have seen what appears to be people developing eating disorders after surgery on these boards. I have seen people with unaddressed/untreated eating disorders on these boards. I have seen people with disordered eating on these boards. I have seen people have or develop body dysmorphia. I have seen people who are practicing alcoholics on these boards. I have seen people transfer addictions on these boards.

The bottom line for me is that seeking help early for whatever your issues and challenges are is a good thing.

Your NUT is a great resource for determining if your approach to eating and food is healthy.

Listen to your psych eval recommendations. If that involves getting a counselor or therapist, then get one. If you just need help dealing with change, then get one.

Attend bariatric support group meetings and/or twelve step recover meetings (OA, AA, CODA, NA, ALANON, GA, etc.) if you need them.

WLS is not a magic bullet. It is a catalyst for a whole range of physical, emotional, social, spiritual, and psychological changes.

As we become healthier we may find that we are confronted with issues that we had buried or avoided for years by eating. That along with hormonal changes and fluctuations can be challenging.

For me, WLS is about getting healthy.

I hope this helps answer your question. Is there a particular reason his statement resonated with you?

I just remember my doctor bringing it up in a seminar.

I'm more concerned about trading my food addiction for another addiction. It's my belief that once an addict, always an addict. Now I can be a recovering food addict post surgery, but I'm still a food addict. I've heard that alcohol is most often the substitute, but I don't have an issue there. Don't do drugs. I'm looking at shopping & over-exercise just to keep my awareness of those things b/c they are probably my biggest areas of possible concern!

Um, raising her hand here, :( I would say I am anorexic or at least anorexic tendencies. I have not dropped below 113, however, I can't seem to get myself to eat enough to get above 119. My Surgeon wants me at 140 (top of my BMI). Counselor and Nutritionist are trying to get me to 125.

To compound the issues, my Mom passed away last Saturday. :( These last two weeks have been very stressful.

Um, raising her hand here, :( I would say I am anorexic or at least anorexic tendencies. I have not dropped below 113, however, I can't seem to get myself to eat enough to get above 119. My Surgeon wants me at 140 (top of my BMI). Counselor and Nutritionist are trying to get me to 125.

To compound the issues, my Mom passed away last Saturday. :( These last two weeks have been very stressful.

I am so sorry for your loss. Sending you hugs and prayers.

She passed away with Alzheimer's. Her death is hitting me harder than I thought it would.:(