Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey family!

I have the mother of all colds ... and according to paperwork from surgeon ... ( I was sleeved July 8th, 2015 )....

I can only take Tylenol cold products...ugh.

Been taking them for a few days now, and it's not doing doodle.

Why can't I take Alka Seltzer? omgosh ....

that is what works for me ...

* sniffle *

So I was wondering if any of you have any input?

* cough *

Dang nose running AGAIN ...

Ugh.

PS ... Can I drink OJ ? I wanna cry :( :(

Edited by MrsKarenC2008

Alka Seltzer has aspirin in it which is why you cannot take it. The issue is the NSAIDs which is why they say Tylenol products only. I break apart the ingredients and take only what is needed - ie decongestant only if stuffy, mucinex if lots of mucus (and will take it with steamed if also stuffy), Tylenol is only for pain or fever. If a sore throat Tylenol will help. So look at the active ingredients on the Alka Seltzer cold med that used to work for you and then buy those active ingredients separately.

@Daisee68 Thank you so much !

Way back in the day (1960's) TV's Granny Clampett (Beverly Hillbillies) treated Mr. Drysdale for a cold. She had convinced him that her homeopathic remedies were far more effective than what his fancy city physician could provide.

Granny told him to drink plenty of fluids and stay in bed and rest. She slapped mustard poultices on his chest and made him eat possum Soup. As she tried to comfort him, she told him that he would be alright, and in two weeks he would feel as good as new!!!

On a personal note, a pharmacist gave me an over he counter product called Cold-Eeze. It helps because it contains massive amounts of zinc which (according to a 1996 research study from the Cleveland Clinic) hinders a cold virus from reproducing and cuts a cold short.

According to a 2010 report published by the National Institute of Health (a part of the U S Department of Health and Welfare), some doctors even require a zinc supplement after surgery if blood work shows a drop in zinc values.

Cold Eeze may not be for everybody, but it works for me.

@@Miss Mac That was packed with great info ... Thank you dear !

I have a weird one but it totally works for me......

Take a bath. In the bath cut up 6 lemons and squeeze in the lemon juice into the bath. I also add epson salts.

Then use the lemons and scrub your sinuses. Chest, face, neck, under arms (lymph nodes).

Get out of the bath. Before you dry off... drink a full 8 oz of Water (does not have to be cold water). Now - watch out,,,, you might feel nausous.

Then dry off and go to bed....

Next morning, I feel so much better!!!!

You are welcome! On the lines of natural remedies, have you used a NetiPot or Saline rinse for your sinuses? This really helps if you are congested! Also, if you are coughing, there is the old remedy of putting Vick's Vapor Rub on the soles of your feet and putting socks over it and sleeping that way. I don't know if it really works, but it seems to.

Hope you feel better soon!

Way back in the day (1960's) TV's Granny Clampett (Beverly Hillbillies) treated Mr. Drysdale for a cold. She had convinced him that her homeopathic remedies were far more effective than what his fancy city physician could provide.

Granny told him to drink plenty of fluids and stay in bed and rest. She slapped mustard poultices on his chest and made him eat possum Soup. As she tried to comfort him, she told him that he would be alright, and in two weeks he would feel as good as new!!!

Where can I get some Possum soup?

Take a bath. In the bath cut up 6 lemons and squeeze in the lemon juice into the bath. I also add epson salts.

Then use the lemons and scrub your sinuses. Chest, face, neck, under arms (lymph nodes).

Get out of the bath. Before you dry off... drink a full 8 oz of Water (does not have to be cold water). Now - watch out,,,, you might feel nausous.

I wonder if instead of using lemons, someone could use limes? Then all you need is to add some tequila to the Water and pour some salt around the rim of your bath tub. :)

I wonder if instead of using lemons, someone could use limes? Then all you need is to add some tequila to the Water and pour some salt around the rim of your bath tub. :)

Now THAT sounds like a good time !!! LOL

I am sipping honey, lemon juice and a teaspoon of whiskey as I sit here, for bronchitis and head cold. I recently broke my foot, and the podiatrist said take no Tylenol, it causes liver failure! Everything will kill us these days! I am also sipping Chai hot tea with lemon. Due to asthma, I have my nebulizer and getting ready to use it. I seriously think hot Soup, honey with lemon juice, and bed rest is the ultimate cure. I hope you feel better.

Tylenol causes liver failure if you use it incorrectly or if you're a regular drinker AND habitual Tylenol user. Using it sporadically for minor pain/ fevers doesn't cause liver failure without some other condition also present.

Can you get paracetamol in the US? It's not an NSAID but is in a lot of our cold medicine here in the UK.