Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Calories Post Op

I have a question, Iam three weeks post op and my calories range between 800-900 and that works well for me but

Iam constantly watching you tube videos of other Gastric SLeeve patients and they all say 400-600 calories. Im concerned that Im over

doing it even thou I feel good and no bad effects from it. Im in the mushy and soft phase but all the calories come from foods I allowed to have.

Can anyone tell me if this is to much ?? and what there calories intake was or is ? Please

I think if you CAN get in that many this early out, then more power to you. One of the main reasons people experience fatigue post-op is not being able to get enough calories in early out. The sooner you can get up to a reasonable amount of calories, the better you will feel!

Thank You

As long as you are following the plan set forth by your nutritionist you'll be fine. Two primary goals: Protein and Water. As long as you are getting those two in daily you are a two steps ahead of the rest.

Remember this: ANYONE can post ANYTHING to YouTube and/or the internet. Stay the course set forth by your surgical team and you're golden.

Thats so true and ive been glued to the you tube. Thank you

A lot of people hate Protein Shake. They aren't drinking them like they should early on. Some people have issues with pain management, so they aren't eating. Some people have children to care for and can't make the time to get their Protein in. Like others said, don't compare yourself to other people. You are doing good.

Watching this post. I am 7 weeks post op and get between 500 and 700 cal. I want to start exercising more and I am worried I need to work on eating more.....A bizarre thought for somebody who's trying to lose weight. My NUT has me focusing on Protein first, vegetables and carbs if I have room. However she is never told me how many calories I really need to work, exercise etc.

Yes my nutrionist didnt tell me either. So i thought it was normal and because i feel great i didnt question it untiol i saw all the videos. But i also started working out last week with a trainer and taking zumba and walking so i try so hard to get in three days. But like everyone else life gets in the way and its not easy. But my doctor told me if you feel good you are good and thats what ive been following

My nutritionist didn't give me a calorie goal, but I pushed hard to get up over 800 before I started exercising regularly and over 1100 once I really started doing intense exercise.

Just a reference...

My NUT had me at 700 and says I need to hit that number if I am doing cardio that day. Until last week it was a struggle to get in 700 good calories. I am 6 weeks post op.

Doctor said I should be between 400-600 during this fast weight loss phase. I'm 6 weeks (tomorrow) post Op. Every doctor is different. Maybe you should give a call to yours?

I'm only 5 days post op and on full liquids but my NUT has never said anything about a calorie goal... Just carbs, Protein, fluids. Right now I'm having a Protein Shake for Breakfast, light and fit Greek yogurt for lunch, and another shake for dinner. This is about 500 calories and meets my carbs under 50g and 60-80 protein rules. I feel like as long as I'm focused on low carbs/high protein calories don't matter too much. I can't imagine that it's possible to even consume many calories on 60-80g protein and less than 50g carbs.

Many nutritionists will not focus on calories in the first several months. Why? You should be focusing on the amount of each serving (1/4 cup, 1/2 cup, etc). The emphasis should be to get your Protein and fluids in.

Don't fixate on calories especially if you weren't given a specific number. Stick to your nutritionists plan for you.

Edited by jj7481

Your calories are relative to your Protein target. This early out you should be doing everything you can to reach your Protein and Fluid targets. As long as you are following your program guidelines your calories will fall into place.

If you are unclear or unsure about your guidelines, then definitely talk to your NUT.

My nutritionist didn't give me a calorie goal, but I pushed hard to get up over 800 before I started exercising regularly and over 1100 once I really started doing intense exercise.

How did you do with hair loss with the higher calories than most? I'm pushing to get up to 800-900 a day. I'm 3 weeks out.