Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm not going to ask how you prevented it...or what you did to improve it. Just curious if anyone is open to sharing pictures of their Hair loss? Strange request, I know. But what I am envisioning is quite frightening so I'm hoping pictures might be able to put me at ease. I already have "thinning" issues due to my PCOS, so hair loss isn't a foreign concept to me. I also understand that everyone's experiences are unique and vary. Hair loss will not deter me from having WLS. Just trying to prepare as I approach the big day!

Edited by sassyfrass23

I don't have any pictures. Never thought to take any. It wasn't too bad. I didn't have any bald spots. There's nothing that can prevent it that I'm aware of. If it helps there aren't any bald women on here that I know of.

I don't have any pictures. Never thought to take any. It wasn't too bad. I didn't have any bald spots. There's nothing that can prevent it that I'm aware of. If it helps there aren't any bald women on here that I know of.

Yeah- I've seen a few ladies where it has thinned in the front or right around the hairline. I know I'm probably imagining it to be worse than it actually will be. That's why I was hoping for some pictures to help give me a better idea of what to expect :)

I had some thinking around the temples and seemed like a lot in the brush but it wasn't that bad....for me anyways.

So here's my plan, I'm going to picture myself losing basically all my hair and needing to resort to wigs temporarily. That way....if I only lose a little, I won't be disappointed! ;) here's to hoping I have the same results as you! Oh..and I saw your full body pic you posted the other day and you looked fantastic!!!

Well......I really wish I had some before pics. I don't.

I am experiencing some thinning at an accelerated rate. Time between hair cuts is prolonged for certain.

I'm 47 years old. My father was totally grey by his late twenties and so was his father. Mom's dad was bald by his late 40's. I should be happy to be where I'm at, I suppose. LOL.

These pics were taken when I was around 125 lbs down....3 weeks ago.

fO0OaXM.jpg

NdDuqgB.jpg

C5lc8iQ.jpg

I started taking product from GNC, Men's Ultra-Nourish hair around the time the pics were taken. Verdict is out on the effectiveness of it.

I'm hoping to get to my goal weight and not go bald or have gal bladder issues in the process. Staying hydrated and getting my Protein & Vitamins is all I can really do.....just hanging on for the ride.

I don't have any Hair loss pictures either. I have lost a significant amount. My hair was super think before- I could barely wrap an elastic hair tie around my pony tail twice and that was with pre stretching them. Now I wrap them about three times. So I can estimate I have lost about half my hair. I don't have any balding spots. It is a little thinner on top, but I think I am the only one that notices. The biggest thing I dislike is it is a lot more brittle and dry.

I am 20 months post op and have been weight stable since month 9. I have always gotten my Protein requirements in and all my Vitamin levels have checked out fine. So it's a mystery to me why my hair is still suffering.

I have tried many things: Biotin, many different oils, shampoos, scalp massages, essential oils, etc. What has helped the most has been adding marine collagen to my Water one a day. The brittleness is a little better. I also recently started drinking bamboo tea for its high silica content. Haven't been doing it long enough to tell yet.

I think the hair loss for some is just the luck of the draw.

I would rather have my thin dry hair and be a normal weight!

Maybe you will be one of the lucky ones whose hair does ok!! Good luck

I don't really have any pictures either because it's not noticeable except to me. My ponytail is very thin and I can wrap the holder around 4 times where is used to be 2. It's not as full as it used to be but the average person wouldn't notice the difference. I don't have any breakage so I've left it longer and continue to highlight it. The constant shedding is super annoying and I have to clean my brushes and drain a couple times of week. Small price to pay really.

I believe I've read hair loss (while common) only affects 1/3 to 1/2 of all WLS patients... so odds are you won't have to worry about it. I wonder what role age plays as well... your odds may be even better since you are young.

But what I am envisioning is quite frightening so I'm hoping pictures might be able to put me at ease.

At sixty-two, my hair is taking a beating. I actually got a short haircut yesterday because of all the "fallout". :) So there might be something to the idea of, it's harder on the more mature folks. I am using conditioners but holding off on Biotin. Maybe I'll try the Telly Savalas look in a few weeks.

Didn't have much hair to begin with...

@@Dub ...you are KILLING it! Many kudos on the weight loss thus far. You look phenomenal! To be quite honest....totally surprised to receive any pictures on this thread. I figured I may be asking a lot since most ppl probably didn't think to record that aspect with pictures. Genetically- I have been set up with promising hope as I age. My daddy (deceased at 63) had the perfect amount of salt/pepper mix and never thinned before his passing. His siblings who are in their 70's and 80's...all have FULL heads of hair. My mama has the THICKEST and prettiest hair. She's never once colored it and has a total of maybe 20 grey hair?? She mentioned coloring it the other day and I told her she was crazy...any 61 year old would be grateful to have her hair!

@@glitter eyes and @@sharkgirl how in the world could you not photograph your hair loss process after WLS???? ???????? Kidding! Thank you for the suggestions. I've heard mixed reviews about Biotin results but figured it wouldn't hurt me to take it, so might as well.

@@goblue9280 thanks! I've never payed attention to the age of those who reported Hair loss. Perhaps I should be more observant with that to see if I see a pattern. I hope you and @@BobbyD are right and think that my "younger" age will play in my favor :)

Either way- I can handle the hair loss as it comes. If I am forced down the wig route, so be it. Losing my hair is not going to cause a heart attack unlike this extra chub I'm hauling around!

@@bigbit I don't know how to respond?? ???? Congrats on not suffering from clogged drains like others have? Lol.

Edited by sassyfrass23

@sassyfrass23. Thank you very much. WLS can be highly effective if you follow the plan before & during.....and I assume, AFTER.

The results are surreal at times. The part that really will make you laugh is when you go shopping for clothes and don't know where to start.....you gravitate towards your older sizes but the sales folks in the stores steer you towards the smaller sizes you actually need. Wild experience.

Check out @@heather5565 experience last weekend.....how cool is this ? !!!!!!!!!

http://www.bariatricpal.com/topic/360684-a-huge-nsv-that-i-had-to-have-explained-to-me/?hl=+explained

LMAO and high-fives for her.

As far as hair loss......it's not something to worry about long term. Easy for a dude to say this....if it gets really bad I'll just break out the razor, right ? Just kidding....it'll be temporary and taking the supplements & getting my Protein is about all I can really do about it. Unless there is a bariatric shampoo.............

Ok so I am losing hair - to me it feels like A LOT....but honestly, it really isn't that bad. It's around the crown/top of my forehead/sides and if I'm standing directly under a bright light you might notice??? I've found ways to style my hair so it's not noticeable. NOW if I pulled it back in a tight pony tail - you might notice then...but I'm not doing that B)

I know it will get better and it is starting to grow back, my hairdresser can attest to that!