Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The Best and the Worst: Your Weight Loss Surgery NON-MEDICAL Experience

The weight loss surgery journey involves challenges, triumphs, and change. Hopefully, the positive experiences far outweigh the negative ones. You might enjoy gaining a new taste for healthy foods, having more energy to hang out with friends and family, out-of-the-blue compliments from strangers and colleagues, and fitting into cute clothes.

You might not like nasty comments from friends, family, and colleagues; giving up certain foods; and the occasional sick-to-your-stomach feeling, especially when you’re with a crowd.

We already asked about your best and worst weight loss surgery experience with regards to your medical service (Check it out here! The Best and the Worst: Your Weight Loss Surgery MEDICAL SERVICE Experience).

Now, what are your best and worst weight loss surgery experiences outside of the clinic?

Best. Walking through the world as an "average" person, and not drawing attention to myself based on my size.

Worst. Getting stuck on food when eating with other people. That has really taught me to slow down and chew.

There are too many great ones but this is my favorite:

Best - trying on clothes in regular stores just because I can. Many times being surprised and in shock at my new normal size.

Honestly had a hard time thinking of the worst but I guess this would be it for me:

people who say stupid things like WLS is cheating or the easy way out.

Best definitely the big change in my apnea, etc going away i used to spend the day half asleep and on amphetamine salts or adderal etc or both, and provigil just to stay somewhat awake. but now im on no drugs and im wide awake.

Worst probably the constantly staying on top of my weight itd be nice to just relax and let go. but i know i cant do that. Small price to pay.

Best = the size ten red pants or any number of happy moments. Feeling my hip and clavicle bones, dressing up, dancing, fitting in anywhere......literally.

Worst = "I don't know what you did..." a comment from a guy I don't even know very well but it haunts me (I keep my WLS private.)....wish I had said something like it's not what I did but what I don't do anymore: stress eat, etc.

One of the best: When my daughter said "I told Dad how you are losing tons of weight and that you look amazing." Her dad and I have been divorced since 2010. He was always very critical about my weight.

One of the worst: When I was on a date with a guy and we talked about my surgery. He immediatly brought up skin removal surgery. I felt instantly unattractive.

Ummm I'm waiting for my worst to be a Tummy Tuck. Then I'm waiting for my best to be a tummy tuck.....Wink wink!

My worst: My S.O. committing suicide while I was having my surgery.

My best: Being warmly welcomed back on Bariatric Pal after being gone for so long and being validated that John's suicide really wasn't my fault.

Best physically: being able to walk like a normal person. No more cane, and no more severe joint pain.

Best emotionally: wearing dresses at work like I did years ago..and getting compliments all the time from my colleagues..and now the BF when we meet up after work.

Worst: Times when I'd like to eat certain trigger foods with abandon. Can't do it no more..which is good of course, but I admit that I miss it sometimes.

Best: average sized clothes and being able to get into yoga positions much easier

Worst: trying to eat out with other people because they all seem to think I can just eat small portions of all foods

Best: Being able to walk and talk at the same time with speed and not feel at all exhausted.

Worst: Trigger foods

@@Alex Brecher

Now, what are your best and worst weight loss surgery experiences outside of the clinic?

My health held me back from living life. The best gift gift outside the clinic is being more invested in my relationships, having adventures and experiences in life.

Worst experience is having society mirror to me that I am more valued as a thin person.

Best:

Feeling a tremendous relief in my back pain.

Knees feeling better.

Returning to the gym and actually doing something when I'm there.

Great blood flow and everything that entails.

Actually shopping for clothes in random stores......not the bigger & taller stores.

Not cringing when someone starts taking pictures at an event.

Minimal dread of upcoming surgeries. For instance, I have a torn rotator cuff in right shoulder that is needing repair. The abdominal hernia that was repaired during my sleeve surgery is not doing well and surgeon said he'd have to go back in and try again in a few months. Knowing I'll be lighter and stronger for these really cuts down over the apprehension of the surgeries.

Knowing that I'll soon be in the "5K race-ready" physical shape and will be able to maintain this for the rest of my life. 6 months ago I would have laughed hysterically at someone suggesting this madness. The new realities are simply awesome and I'm very, very grateful.

Worst:

Realizing that weight loss doesn't fix everything....job stress, marital issues, etc. It truly does resolve so many health issues that I almost expected it to solve everything, lol.

Sitting at a restaurant for long, long meals while others eat forever. It's not that I care what they eat. It's not that I care to eat it either. It's simply that food-related activity means so little to me. I'd rather be doing something else. I suppose that's why I try to encourage folks to sit at the bar with me when we go out to eat. It's more interactive and fun.

A self-critical eye that doesn't ever seem to be satisfied. For instance....when I was pre-op, I was seeing myself as a mildly heavy guy. What a joke, but it's true. I didn't behave like a morbidly obese person....it's like I looked past what I saw in the mirror. Now, though.....the more I lose it seems the more I see I need to loose. For example, quads are solid and firm, but I detest the softer areas that I've not developed yet. It's going to be okay.....as I lose, I can do more in the gym and all things will come around. It's just weird.

Best:

Feeling a tremendous relief in my back pain.

Knees feeling better.

Returning to the gym and actually doing something when I'm there.

Great blood flow and everything that entails.

Actually shopping for clothes in random stores......not the bigger & taller stores.

Not cringing when someone starts taking pictures at an event.

Minimal dread of upcoming surgeries. For instance, I have a torn rotator cuff in right shoulder that is needing repair. The abdominal hernia that was repaired during my sleeve surgery is not doing well and surgeon said he'd have to go back in and try again in a few months. Knowing I'll be lighter and stronger for these really cuts down over the apprehension of the surgeries.

Knowing that I'll soon be in the "5K race-ready" physical shape and will be able to maintain this for the rest of my life. 6 months ago I would have laughed hysterically at someone suggesting this madness. The new realities are simply awesome and I'm very, very grateful.

Worst:

Realizing that weight loss doesn't fix everything....job stress, marital issues, etc. It truly does resolve so many health issues that I almost expected it to solve everything, lol.

Sitting at a restaurant for long, long meals while others eat forever. It's not that I care what they eat. It's not that I care to eat it either. It's simply that food-related activity means so little to me. I'd rather be doing something else. I suppose that's why I try to encourage folks to sit at the bar with me when we go out to eat. It's more interactive and fun.

A self-critical eye that doesn't ever seem to be satisfied. For instance....when I was pre-op, I was seeing myself as a mildly heavy guy. What a joke, but it's true. I didn't behave like a morbidly obese person....it's like I looked past what I saw in the mirror. Now, though.....the more I lose it seems the more I see I need to loose. For example, quads are solid and firm, but I detest the softer areas that I've not developed yet. It's going to be okay.....as I lose, I can do more in the gym and all things will come around. It's just weird.

Wow! I thought I was the only one who no longer enjoyed going out to a restaurant. The fun is gone. I find myself restless, bored and wishing I was anywhere--doing something.

I love my daughters and their families. They are my foundation of happiness right now. Sunday is my birthday and of course in the past we all have gone out to eat. This year, I found the "strength" to try to explain to them what I really wanted was for them to go as we have always done on Valentines' Day, but without me. Going and having a good time is gift enough for me. When they get home I can open my birthday gifts ( :) ) , and nibble a small piece of cake--after my grandsons blow out the candles. Maybe I'm being selfish and should go, but I know I'd be miserable. After all, it is Valentines' Day and my two daughters deserve a lovely dinner out with their hubbies.

Anyway, thank you, Dubs for letting me know that it's not just me.

BEST: No more meds, knee pain, back pain, CPAP and feeling better than I have in years!

Trying on clothes in sizes I had forgotten about.

Seeing the appreciation in my family's eyes for taking the steps necessary to be around longer to share life with them.

WORST: My spikes of anger for no reason

My obsessive need to weigh myself everyday - and the negative feelings when the scale does not move

What I feel when I eat too fast or the wrong thing.

It has been an incredible six months where I feel much stronger physically as well as emotionally. I am even getting used to that new guy I see in the mirror. I admit I am worried about keeping things going with my tendency to drop new habits and revert to past bad ones, but I know I will work to make sure that this does not happen this time.