Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Reason for surgery?

What reason did you tell your boss and coworkers for having surgery? I want to keep my surgery as private as possible, but I don't want to lie either.

I just took a weeks vacation. No explanation.

I didn't really try to keep my surgery a secret from family, close friends, my boss or co-workers. I think being male might have made a difference as I really don't have any friends or associates who would act negatively or create uncomfortable situations.

As I progress through my weight loss I am occasionally surprised when I encounter someone I haven't seen for a while or who wasn't aware of my surgery. Their reactions are very interesting and I have to remember that they weren't among the group I told about my surgery so my weight loss is a surprise to them.

I am a very private person so I have not told anyone (besides my husband and two friends) I will simply be out for a week or week and half.

I said that I was having hernia surgery (which was true). I just left off the part about having 85% of my stomach removed too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Same as dmmjtj, going on vacation. If I didn't have vacation days and had to use FMLA, I would not have been able to keep it a secret.

I told my manager that I wanted to take a week off in March and then I told him I wanted him to know it was for surgery because if there were complications I may need a bit longer. He naturally asked why I was having surgery and I told him it was private and he followed up with asking if everything was okay and I said yes and we moved on. I was comfortable with this because I don't care who knows once the surgery has happened, I don't doubt they won't piece it together once I'm back.

Edited by ohh_that_girl

Nothing. I just took two weeks off.

It really is that easy. :)

I just told him I was going out for surgery no details worked with HR no details. Worked with my disability management company they needed all the details but that was because I used Short term disability. They got all the details from my doc but do not share it and they don't know me personally. (That happens when you work for a multi billion dollar company) 3 co workers know but that is because one is my best friend one is my inspiration for getting the surgery and the other is on my wellness team and I felt it was ok to share with him.

I've told my manager and supervisor about it. I wanted them to know that I would be looking for a short leave of absence. They were both really supportive of me, and on the plus side since my job involves hours of standing and lifting, in the long run it will make me a better employee. It's nice to have their support, and in return I've also been offered a different position when I return that doesn't involve lifting right away.

I told my boss and coworkers but that is just cause I'm so excited! I don't care who knows or what they say cause I know I'm doing the right thing for me. That being said, I realize I am probably the minority here so I'd just do what the others suggested and just take a week of vacation. If you don't have vacation, maybe just take sick leave and say it's the flu? Haha. I've been sick for a week before! ????

I told my boss I was going on for more tests. I had a previous health issue so I used vacation time. No one in my life knows but my husband and 1 friend. Everyone around knows I'm back on another diet. That's it.

I told my boss and a couple co-workers, one who has had gastric by pass. My boss is amazing and he has been so accommodating with all my Dr. Appts (I had to do the 6 mos diet plan). Even with the time off after, I was asking for one week and he said take two. I don't know how I got so lucky, I have worked for other managers that I wouldn't have told of the specific procedure , because she would have blabbed it all over, so I can understand where some of you are coming from. I feel very blessed to have him as a boss and another gastric person to share with, she has already been very helpful.

My boss is post-op RNY so I didn't feel the need to keep anything from him. As for co-workers, I told a few that are close friends & the rest I simply said I was "having a medical procedure" done. No one questioned it & I didn't feel I was being evasive or untruthful.