Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

While on my 2 week pre op diet, my blood pressure was normal to medium high. At times it was even normal low.

After the Gastric Sleeve surgery on Feb 1st , I was in the hospital for 2 days, they kept me off my 20mg lisinopril. I've been home 3 days now and yesterday my BP was creeping back up. I had started introducing half my prescription back, 10mg. Now I am back up to 20mg because yesterday I was back up to about 145/95. Then before bed last night, down to 122/77. This sort of freaks me out.

Has this happened to anyone else? I mean ... I'm on liquids. I'm not eating or introducing things to cause high BP. I took my 20mg this morning. But just checked and darn if I'm not still medium high. I do have clonodine to help. Took a half of that. Didn't seem to help.

Maybe I am overreacting. Anyway. I've been on 40mg before. So I just took another half, that totals 30 now. 20mg at 11am and 10 mg at 6pm.

I really thought that I'd be on the low side of BP readings considering it was low in the hospital and I'm on Clear Liquids.

When I was in the hospital they didn't give me all

Of my medication..not sure why. But when I came home I took what I was on before surgery. I wouldn't take less or more than you're suppose to until your PCP changes it.

My blood pressure was 110/60 at my last appointment. Mine has never, ever been that low. I have Malignant high blood pressure.

Wow you're blood pressure is magnificent!

I do hope to be there someday!

Wow you're blood pressure is magnificent!

I do hope to be there someday!

I was shocked considering it's been 150/170 in the past before. I am on 3 different blood pressure meds currently. I hope to come off or have them lowered in the next few month.

Did they tell you to reintroduce your meds in a certain way? I am wondering if there is a diuretic effect that you might need to be mindful of after surgery. My BP was good in the hospital and I haven't taken any of my old meds since surgery.

I'm surprised that you didn't get discharge instructions regarding your medication. I would call your dr to find out what you should be taking.

I've been in dangerous situations because I wasn't taking my meds. High blood pressure isn't something to mess with.

Edited by cindyw41

I had my surgery Feb 1st as well. In the hospital my BP got as high as 214/110! They consulted a Hospitalist who said my pain was not well controlled so she added a pill form and another BP pill. It worked and I was able to go home the next day. At home tho I am running higher than usual 150/90's - 160/100. Still taking both BP pills. I have not needed pain meds since yesterday. Will just keep checking and if it doesn't go down to normal by next week will see my PCP.

My blood pressure spiked after surgery. 2 days after I saw my PCP and she gave me a blood pressure patched I used for a month. It kept my BP about 139:80. After a month I've been off all meds and am running 120:80 -135:85.

I would think your dr should have reintroduced your meds slowly.

After surgery my blood pressure was elevated but my heart rate was really high (155/82, HR 108). We found it was because I was dehydrated because it went away as soon as they gave me fluids via IV. Ive been home for 3 1/2 weeks now, and I check it everyday. My blood pressure hangs around 107/72 with a HR of 68. But above all else, I've gotta make sure I get my 48oz of Water in.

Pre-surgery I was on Lostartan 100mg once a day for a little under a year. But I haven't taken anything since surgery.

Edited by Afrikanaaa

I am sorry for those experiences you've all had. I do know how terrifying it can be to see those numbers.

I was above 200/170 twice in my life, and that was due to anxiety attack that sent me to the ER, I lost a loved one. All the ER Doc did was inject me with ativan, nothing happened, and then we kept popping clonidine until it went down. Anxiety is a wrecking ball! So is pain!

I'm bad at articulation, so forgive me.

I did reintroduce my medication slowly, and I think it has just taken a few days to get back to where I needed to be, the range of course. Three days now I've been at regular doses, things are fine. Since I too had my VSG on Feb 1st I'm not counting on changing up my medication needs yet.

I do have a curious question, I'll double check with Dr I see him on Thursday.

Since my pain control is liquid, I think I've been pushing it through too fast because I'm so worried about getting in my fluids. I measure a 67 ounce jug each morning and keep taking from there until bed time. I am sipping all day long. Anyway, I used to take the liquid pain medicine, then start sipping. I felt like the pain medicine did not work.

Today I decided to take the pain medicine, and wait ...

The pain medicine WORKED. Now I wonder if I've been wasting my pain medicine this way? Since there is nothing stopping the flow in my stomach or intestines. Any thoughts welcome. =)

Many hugs to you all. I hope we all get this BP normalized!!

Edited by Amelie2016

I had to call my PCP to get back on BP meds.

Now my BP is high which was under control prior to surgery..... very weird

I had to call my PCP to get back on BP meds.

Now my BP is high which was under control prior to surgery..... very weird

I'm sorry.

Must be just the stress of being off the meds for a few days then getting back on them and settled back in to them. I am finally normalized again after about 4 days back home from the hospital.

I hope you normalize soon!