Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

SlimFast Advanced Nutrition Shakes

I have been using the new SlimFast Advanced Nutrition, High Protein Shakes for my pre-op diet that I have voluntarily switched to early. They are palatable and I like their nutritional profile. These have just come out and are a "Meal Replacement shake", for which you'd like to see (1) A decent calorie count, not 100 calories, and (2) about 1/3 the RDA of important Vitamins and minerals.

These are high Protein (20g), and low sugar (1g), and have 5g added Fiber, which along with the protein, helps to stave off hunger. There is a good complement of vitamins and minerals, and 180 calories for an 11oz shake, in part due to the use of some healthy fats. I have been substituting these for Breakfast and most lunches for a month and feel fine. I have a small meal for dinner with a good portion of veggies that I continually vary included, and fruit now and then to ensure balanced nutrition. Have lost 20lb this way so far. Hope to be down 30lb by my surgery date.

Have tried various flavors. For me the caramel latte is not great - just good enough to drink, and the vanilla is fair. I like the chocolate and the strawberry though. Your mileage may vary.

They can be distinguished by the Advanced Nutrition / High Protein badging on the product packaging.

Vitamin A 40%

• Vitamin C 110%
  • Calcium 40%
  • Iron 15%
  • Vitamin D 40%
  • Vitamin E 110%
  • Vitamin K 25%
  • Thiamin 40%
  • Riboflavin 40%
  • Niacin 35%
  • Vitamin B6 30%
  • Folate 35%
  • Vitamin B12 35%
  • Biotin 35%
  • Pantothenic Acid 35%
  • Phosphorus 45%
  • Iodine 35%
  • Magnesium 35%
  • Zinc 15%
  • Selenium 20%
  • Manganese 35%
  • Chromium 30%
  • Edited by Barry W

This isn't something I would drink all the time just because the calories are kind of high for 20g or Protein. Syntrax is 23 for 110 calories, premier is 30g for 160. Still I am always looking for things that are readily sold in most stores, for emergencies and these aren't a bad option in a pinch. Thanks for sharing.

This isn't something I would drink all the time just because the calories are kind of high for 20g or Protein. Syntrax is 23 for 110 calories, premier is 30g for 160. Still I am always looking for things that are readily sold in most stores, for emergencies and these aren't a bad option in a pinch. Thanks for sharing.

Hi, yes, these are not the lightest shakes going. I prefer these as a Meal Replacement though, precisely because they have a little more calories - 180 is still super low for a meal, and they have a pretty complete panel of Vitamins and minerals, helping to ward off malnutrition.

If you are focused on max Protein and min calories, say if supplementing an otherwise balanced diet, these Pure Protein Shakes are easy to find in my area and pretty cheap at the supermarket. 23g of protein and 120 calories, and the vanilla and chocolate ones are not bad on taste either (in my opinion).

http://www.pureprotein.com/products/23g-shake-rich-chocolate-4-pack/#