Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi All,

I am set as of today to get my sleeve surgery on 03/07 with Dr McGinty in NYC at St Luke's Hospital. Has anyone been to him? I am wondering about your thoughts about him. Today has been an extremely emotional day between finally getting a date after all these appointments I have been too and going over the potential complications with the Dr.

To say the least I am a nervous wreck. I am scared about the surgery itself, I'm scared about the life change, I'm scared to end my relationship with food, I'm petrified about the complications. I'm kind of having second thoughts. Some words of advice or support from someone who has been here would be great. I just want to live a normal life so bad. I don't want to get this done and constantly feel like I'm not living life to the full potential because I have to eat as slow as a snail and I also don't want my life to be cut short because I decided to do something irreversible so early on.

ah!!!!

- Nervous Nelly

First of all CONGRATS!! It's exciting! Allow yourself to he happy about this!

I have 3 pieces of advice for anyone undergoing this surgery:

1. Be fiercely protective of yourself. Don’t let ANYONE stand in your way. We become overweight because we’ve put others needs before our own. Get selfish if you have to! What you’re doing is for YOU and you should be proud of that

2. Follow Doctors orders to the letter. Protein, fluids, exercise, dietary restrictions – do exactly as he says. And take advance of the first 6 months! It’s when weight loss is most rapid. Celebrate the little accomplishments. (I cried when my BMI was “obese” instead of “morbidly obese.” Haha!)

3. Enjoy the journey. YOU GO GIRL! You've earned this!

Thank you ... That was like exactly what I needed.

I too am waiting for confirmation from my insurance company approving my sleeve surgery. Have a tentative date of 3/2. Hoping all goes well! Need support and encouragement, great support from family and friends! Just scared I guess

That is great for all of you! It is going to be awesome!

I had to wait so long (it seemed) to be cleared that I thought it would never happen. Then I got a referral to another surgeon and he was able to schedule me immediately. It was so shocking and all of a sudden, after more than seven months, it felt like it was happening too fast.

Only then did I start to become nervous about the actual procedure. I had all year to really deal with my relationship with food so I felt secure about that issue (as secure as any of us can!). The only time I have ever been put under anesthetics was during the EGD, so this would be my first real surgery. That was scary. But I talked to so many people that had been through the same process and they put my mind at ease.

As far as feeling like I may be missing out on life because I cannot eat the way I have in the past, I understand that. food is a big part of my life. I bake as a hobby (people often ask me, and sometime pay me to bake things for their events). I like to get together with friends and do crazy food challenges. I experiment with wacky combinations all the time. I like to travel and try new foods from far away places. You know what? None of that has to end. I can still do almost all of that. I won't be entering any eating contests in the future (I never did, anyway) but the crazy food ideas don't have to stop - I just cannot eat every last bit of everything I concoct. I can still try new and exotic cuisines. I may not be able to clear my plate but that's okay. I won't be missing anything.

You can do this! And your relationship with food doesnt end it just changes. I am literally obsessed with Pinterest and finding something new to make. i am 6 weeks out so relatively new and I was so worried about how i was going to survive without what I used to eat. It literally has been a piece of cake :) !!

I can not stress enough to drink all of your Water and get your protien in. I also make sure i drink 10oz of gatoraid a day. there were a few days i didnt do this and i paid for it the next day.

Best of luck on your journey!

Really ? @@kickinit the Gatorade just gave you energy?

No! I take Vitamin b-12 every day and the first 2 weeks I was super exhausted! Heating pad and my couch were my best friend ( i went back to work 5 days after surgery) drinking the gatoraids helps with my electrolytes and ensuring I don't get dehydrated. I read about that on this site from many people. I do it everyday and so far so good. I felt like crap when I didn't take enough protien or tried to eat something way too soon! Don't be in a hurry!

Thank you for the advice. Did you just drink regular Gatorade ?

Surgery is a scary thing but change is even scarier. I had surgery on Friday and regretted it so much. But 5 days out, I'm getting better every day and have already lost 12 pounds. I was throwing up with my iv medicines and stayed an extra night but it's way better when you get home and can do everything at your own pace. I miss food so much. I watch everyone eat around me. It's the worst feeling. I was at one point to where I was upset and felt like I could never have food again. Then I was like wait a minute, no way. We just learn to eat in smaller portions. It's a life changing experience but it's gonna be worth it. Don't worry. We are all here for support too

Thank you! I actually can't wait to physically not be able to eat the way I do anymore. I constantly make myself sick.

Advice: "No food tastes as good as skinny feels."

I was told that pre op. And I tell you, every pant size and shirt size I go down, I'd trade a week of fast food for in a heartbeat.