Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How long until you can go back to sedentary office job after RNY GBP?

Hey all! I've seen this answered in a lot of different ways online, and different recommendations as far as how many weeks it takes to get back to work after surgery....

Here's my question: If I work in a very sedentary office job, where I self-manage my time on my projects with very little moving around, basically just sitting on my Buns all day in front of a computer, how long realistically until I could come back to work? My mother had the surgery and said she felt better and was up and moving around after a few days, and I really can't take much time off of work, so I'm hoping that's the case for me. I am relatively healthy, only just barely at 40 BMI, and 32 years old. Do you guys think that if I had my surgery mid-week I could take a few days off, the weekend, and return to work the following Monday? Is that realistic? I don't know what kind of pain I'll be dealing with, or mobility issues.

What do you lovelies think? Terrible idea? Or doable, given my circumstances?

Hi, well I'm 60, basically healthy, 6' 1" and 250 lbs with a BMI of 32 come surgery day. I'm a high school teacher and my operation is this Wednesday February 10th and I'm going to be at my desk on Monday February 22nd after the February Break. So I'll have 11 days.... I might feel awful but I'll be at work, by hook or by crook

Wow, that's so soon! Good luck!!

I'm 33 and I had my surgery on a Wednesday then was able to start work the next Monday. I worked from home just so I could rest if needed but I ended up working 8s each day. I could have gone into the office but was on FMLA so I enjoyed avoiding people for a week if I wanted to.

I'm not sure there is a clear defenative answer. Recovery really depends on how well your surgery goes, how your body and mind respond afterward and what your doctor recommends. You're going to be the best judge on your ability to head back to work, but I recommend that you don't push your body's recovery too soon. This is major surgery and you are going to have some adjustments to make afterwards. Be sure you are ready to get back into the work environment by having a well thought out plan for getting your Water, Protein and other nutrients requirements while you are still in the recovery phases.

Good luck.

I had my surgery on a Monday and took two full weeks off. I honestly felt like I could go back sooner except I had a drain and that would not have been good at work. I have a pretty sedentary job too.

You know I hadn't thought about needing to be sipping virtually ALL day still 11 days after surgery, now of course no one at my school knows I'm having gastric Bypass, the cover story is gall Bladder surgery, but who cares if I'm sipping out of a large Water container all through every class.... in some ways the structure of work might make it simpler, the stopping drinking a half hour before each meal, blah, blah..

Btw, in those first weeks on liquid diet with my Protein shakes and powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury chicken Protein Soups, do you have to do that same no drinking a half hour before and after meals even when you're drinking your meals at that point??? thanks, p

Had gastric bypass surgery on a Thursday, went home by noon the next day and was on pain killers the first day or two home. After the weekend, I was out and about on Monday and went back to work on Wednesday. I'm mid 30's and have a sedentary office job.

You know I hadn't thought about needing to be sipping virtually ALL day still 11 days after surgery, now of course no one at my school knows I'm having gastric Bypass, the cover story is gall Bladder surgery, but who cares if I'm sipping out of a large Water container all through every class.... in some ways the structure of work might make it simpler, the stopping drinking a half hour before each meal, blah, blah..

Btw, in those first weeks on liquid diet with my Protein Shakes and Unjury chicken Protein Soups, do you have to do that same no drinking a half hour before and after meals even when you're drinking your meals at that point??? thanks, p

I was wondering the same thing about drinking water while still on liquids! ????

I am pretty sure that the no drinking before and after meals is once you go to more solid foods, since the Water tends to wash away the food quicker, thus making you less full feeling... but I am not completely sure.

It really is a personal thing. I'm 47 and took 3 weeks off. I really wished I'd taken 4. I was so tired and was really struggling with getting in enough fluids. I'm sure if I'd been able to drink more I wouldn't have been so exhausted. I do work a sedentary desk job, but I found it really hard to concentrate.

I work in a similar environment and I was back after one week. I was also very lucky and had a complication free surgery.

The advice I'm sure you have heard time and time again is to listen to your body and don't push it.

- Louie

I am pretty sure that the no drinking before and after meals is once you go to more solid foods, since the Water tends to wash away the food quicker, thus making you less full feeling... but I am not completely sure.

Correct. The not drinking before or after meals is once you start on Stage 2 or 3.

I was off two weeks mainly due to lifting restrction. I went back to work at 2.5 wks and lift patient's on a daily basis; no issues.

It really is going to depend on your personal experience and tolerance. Pain wise, I could have returned to my "job" of homeschooling within a few days of surgery, but I was very tired in those first few days/weeks and the time off to rest really was invaluable to me and my overall recovery.