Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

10 months post op and out of track. I need your help!

Hello everyone,

I am new to this forum. I am 10 months post op, and I've been out of track for 3-4 months. My surgery weight was 265 pounds, and I am currently 185. I've been eating unhealthy and grazing often. So, would you please suggest me a way to get back on track and start losing again?

Thanks in advance.

Be more specific about "eating unhealthy" and "grazing". What is a typical day of eating like for you and we'll see if we can help?

I think the best way is to commit to measuring and tracking everything you consume. Include the time of day then you really know where you need to correct course.

I find that 4 mini meals per day is about right for me - not grazing but not eating big meals all at once either.

Be more specific about "eating unhealthy" and "grazing". What is a typical day of eating like for you and we'll see if we can help?

Well, I eat lots of carbs and sugar. I eat slider foods almost for every meal. As a result, I can eat a lot.

What kind of surgery did you have?

You may want to do a little reset so to speak and try a few days of just Protein shakes to get that starting feeling back.

The only way I know to kick the sugar / slider habit is to do it cold turkey.

Why don't you take a week and just do Protein drinks (like you did prior to surgery to shrink your liver)? During that time, don't eat ANY sugar or other slider foods.

Then Week 2 transition to Protein, healthy veggies and some whole grains. The week on Protein Drinks might not be easy. But it would certainly kill your craving for sweets and slider foods.

Also make yourself drink at least 64 ounces of Water every day. You could be confusing your appetites for hydration and for food.

I agree with the post that said no grazing, but no small meals either. I have been letting the rules subside, admittedly, but thankfully, I have not yet paid any price as I am still losing at about 1 lb/wk at six months out (Saturday surgiversary). Try very hard to change up the types of food you have. For me, anyway, any carbs and sugar leads to more cravings (although thankfully not for more carbs and more sugar, but for protein). You will be surprised how many rules apply whether one has had surgery or not. Tough textured Protein is by far the best food to eat to eliminate cravings and achieve satiety.

I think tracking your food and maybe going back to shakes for a bit would be a good start. Focus on getting your Protein in for this first little bit. If you truly meet your protein goal every day, there shouldn't be much room left for the carbs.