Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What made you choose this surgery vs others?

I had to wait about 6 months to move forward due to my insurance not covering and having to wait for new year to switch to my wife's.

For the longest time I was set on getting the sleeve. Seemed easier to have done, less time off and easier to live with (i.e. less absorption problem, less Vitamin and more flexible diet.) and provided similar weight loss.

Then I spoke to a girl I went to school with and she had bypass. She said she felt the dumping syndrome helps and that being able to eat more things would make it harder to maintain.

At my first doctors meeting nurse practitioner said based on big weight loss swings I've had and that and that you get a little more bang out of the bypass (I'm about 300 lb over idea BMI weight) that it would probably be better for me.

I'm still worried about making the wrong choice. There are certain medications I'd like to take and may not be able to (ADHD meds.)

Plus its seems like a more intimidating surgery.

So did anyone else have this issues and or fears and how did you decide or over come them?

Thanks

Good for you! Stick to your guns about your choice, too!! I have no opinion good or bad about gastric sleeve-I'm completely neutral. I did a long research on both and decided to hear what the WLS clinic had to say. My clinic simple doesn't advise or perform the sleeve on patients with a higher BMI-49/50 and above. It is the surgeons and WLS teams ethical and joint personal opinions. They do not feel the sleeve does enough nor teach your body and brain enough to meet the needs of the extremely or "super obese" patient. Likewise, if your "X" amount of weight, they do not perform Lao band on that patient. For the same reason: they don't see it working enough and ultimately a second surgery ends up happening. To them, that's not ethical.

So, that's why I chose my surgeon and clinic, and that's why I TRUST THEM to advise me in the best technique for my needs.

Sounds like you are doing your homework, too!! Do what you really feel. Don't hesitate to ask question, this is your life and well being!! You answer only to you, no one else. People mean well, but this about you and the road you have traveled and will travel in the future????!! We are behind you. We got your back-as they say!

I first thought I wanted to get the sleeve too, but then I started seeing the statistical chance of having to have a bypass revision is pretty high. I, too, started at a pretty high weight - over 400 pounds when I first started at the bariatric center. Yes, the sleeve is a little less invasive, and has less absorption issues. But when I went to the seminar and listened to my surgeon talking about the pros and cons of both, and then also based on all the research I did on my own and the sleevers and rny-ers I talked to, I changed to the bypass. My main reasons are these:

- I started at a high bmi (upper 60s) and most of the people who had the sleeve at that high weight ended up in maintenance before they had even lost all their weight, and also many of them ended up with a bypass anyway.

- I wanted to avoid going under the knife for a second time, and since so many people get revisions, the bypass just seemed smarter.

- I wanted the extra accountability. One of the big reasons I got surgery in the first place was to give my body the best tool I could for controlling what I eat and how much I eat. The bypass goes a step beyond the sleeve and also gives you malabsorbtion.

- In the end, ultimately, I chose the bypass for all these reasons and because I want the most bang for my buck. If I had started at a much lower weight, perhaps my current weight, I might have chosen the sleeve.

As things stand for me now, I'm very, very happy that I chose the bypass. I have PCOS and even now after losing 160 pounds from my highest weight, I still have to fight my body tooth and nail to continue to lose. I'm nowhere near maintenance (282 pounds as of this morning) and I'm glad that I chose the more intensive surgery.

In the end it's your and your surgeon's decision. I would recommend the RNY for someone who began as heavy as me, but that's just me. :)

I've got severe GERD and my doctor recommended RNY over sleeve because of it, since the former can aggravate GERD, while RNY seems to help get rid of it.

Easy choice for me that way.

I've got severe GERD and my doctor recommended RNY over sleeve because of it, since the former can aggravate GERD, while RNY seems to help get rid of it.

Yes, I have heard that from others, too. The bypass must do something with all the "re-routing" that helps. I don't have GERD and I sure don't want to have it! My mother and several relatives are plagued by it ????.

i have both diabetes and pcos and i talked with my surgeon about wanting a baby and she said the best bet to resolve pcos is bypass so that made my choice easy

That is the same experience I had. I am totally okay with it! :)

My doctor basically said with my conditions that bypass was the best choice. I said okay. Honestly, I was fine with either surgery.

I was just told today I may have to get the bypass instead of the sleeve since I have barrets esophagus and some reflux I never knew I had. I'm looking into an April surgery.

Any one else out there getting ready from Pittsburgh or near by? I'm actually in Washington Pa

I was 280 and I got the sleeve.

Now, if we are talking you are 400 or more pounds, than the bypass probably is the best for you.

Personally, I had the sleeve almost two weeks ago & am down to 250.

My Dr pushed me towards the bypass a bit but after research I was 100% sleeve. The sleeve has soooo many less complications. With the sleeve you are 100% capable of keeping up in Vitamins and such but with the bypass you're guaranteed to be deficient- they are literally bypassing a section of your intestine, so you can't absorb as much fat, but you can't absorb as much as Protein and nutrients either. It just seems like a rough time. I feel it's an extreme surgery, & they can't undo it and re route your intestines back to normal.

I only have about 75 pounds to lose. I want the sleeve but was told I have barrets esophagus and some reflux so it would really be had if I had the sleeve. It would just make it much worse. I'm so bummed. I was really reaching for the sleeve. Wasn't prepared for what I was told today.

Also congrats on your weight loss! That's so good! You should feel fantastic!

I was told the same thing about reflux and some other factors & stuck for the sleeve. They are going to do whatever you decide, and with 75 pounds I REALLLLY suggest the sleeve. I have had none of the complications they thought I would & they did give me meds to reduce acid in my stomach and honestly I haven't needed it. Go with your heart girl ❤️

If you have reflux at all....get bypass. I was almost 400 lbs when I started and my decision was down to sleeve or bypass. My apprehension about bypass were the horror stories from the late 90's and early 21'st Century. However, in reading recent studies and researching current data I was ok with the surgeons recommendation of bypass.

My thoughts are this:

1.) Bypass leaves the anatomy God gave you still in your body; nothing removed. Yes, it's reshaped but the stomach stays in the body. Sleeve leaves you with whats removed.

2.) Bypass is reversible if ever needed. Sleeve is not as that part of your stomach is gone.

When you talk about recovery time you're looking at similar recovery time for RNY or sleeve. I was only on a lifting restriction for 2 weeks and back to work at 2.5 wks. Granted, I'm also in my mid-30s and age plays a large factor in recovery time.

Thanks so much Kristennichole!

I feel the same! I don't have any problems now with reflux other than some lesions they found inside when hey did my scope. I would have never known.

jj7481 you are very right with much of what your stating. I agree with it. I am not crazy about things being all scrambled around in there. It's good to hear the recovery seems to be the same timing. I'm glad about that. I have 7 family members who have had bypass also and they all are just fine also other than the dumping issues. They all gained a good bit of their weight loss back also. They seem to be able to eat more than a sleeved person. That's concerning. Although they had much more to lose than I do it still makes me question it. I was glad to learn my doctor does not use a drain tube! That would be a total deal braker for me! ????