Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Downton Abbey

-- Spoiler Alert if you did not see this week's episode --

Did anyone else catch that Robert had a gastrectomy this week?

I wonder how well Mrs. Patmore will do preparing a liquid diet? I am sure she can make it, and make it delicious, but I bet she will hate it!

Oh, yes! I even looked it up to make sure I knew what it was (partial or full surgical removal of the stomach). As we know, the sleeve is an old-timey procedure used to remove part of ulcer patients' and cancer' patients stomachs.

I wonder if he's going to lose weight when he gets home? (Bet not. ;) ).

Oh wow! I'm an episode behind since I discovered Mercy Street and must divide my limited time for tv watching.

Can't wait to see that episode now! I was worried they would kill him off this season. All the talk of gastric upset etc. I was worried they were for foreshadowing a heart attack.

Oh my gosh! No worries!

Spoilers don't bother me at all or I would not have opened the thread ????

That's what I thought they were building up to, too, Lenora.

It's quite a scene -- get ready!

Ok so as long as we are on theories I watched when the family went down to the kitchens to welcome home "The Carsons".

Granny left early " because she was tired" ????

Now in worried she will be killed off this season!

All the stress from her hospital fight...

Hmmmmmm....

I forgot this was on in the US. I watched it with my British friends.

*SPOILER*

They don't really address it much after it happens. I don't even know why they did it.

They don't really address it much after it happens. I don't even know why they did it.

I guess that's why they call it a "series."

;)

And, as was discussed, Robert's illness and recovery (and how well he does or doesn't recover from this) means that Lady Mary (and her newly returned Irish brother-in-law) will assume even more responsibility and autonomy as they run Downton Abbey and work to save its future. It will probably also affect Lady Mary's current deliberations about who would be an appropriate husband candidate for herself and the gifts and distractions he might bring to the management team (so to speak).

*SPOILER *

They never talk about his diet really and besides that one time Carson tries to slip him some liquor that's it. Originally I thought it was going to do with the hospital drama but it's totally useless.

If you haven't seen the article done about how they filmed that scene, it's totally worth finding (I'm part of a Downton FB group and it was there). Just imagine - they film the interiors at Highclere Castle with their priceless antique furniture and carpets and they had to deal with prop, uh, fallout. If you're a fan of what happens behind the camera, it's a don't-miss.

FWIW, the surgery scene on this week's "Mercy Street" was fantastically well done. I'm loving that series, too.

@@OutsideMatchInside i know right! im in the states but i bought the DVD set and already finished it. i think they just wanted us to think he might die or make it exciting or something. or if it had even been a factor in the hospital decision but they downplayed that too. bah. anyways.

i won't put any spoilers i'll just say the final season ends up very "tidy".

@@2goldengirl im glad you said that about mercy street cuz im recording it but haven't started it cuz my co-worker said it wasn't good but now i'll start and see how it is :)