Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Does anyone feel angrier or more 'indignant' post surgery?

how long before we can eat authentic fermented foods ? ie sauerkraut, real pickles, kimchi ?

You can certainly try them when you are cleared for all foods.

The initial food stages are all about texture.

I'm 11 days post.I know exactly what you are talking about.I've always been outgoing,calm,and happy person.But now I'm so edgy,get mad at the little simple things that use to not bother me,raging hormones.One min I'm laughing the next mad as hell or crying.Its got to be our hormones raging.I've been married 25 yrs and hubby upset with me over my emotions .I told him it's my hormones but he threaten to leave.By my surprise I told him"There's the door"Now I'm wondering where that came from.I realize it's all the years of being silent.He use to say things hurt my feeling ,I sucked it up.Didn't say nothing.Guess I was scared he would leave.But now my attitude is like "Go if you want,im tired of your Shit"Its like I finally woke up smelled the coffee.I'm not saying I'm getting a divorce.I just realized it's time for me to take care of myself.I've always catered to his needs .I lost myself somewhere in those 25 yrs.Now I'm tending to me and he don't like it.I say TOUGH.What I'm trying to say is take care of yourself and the rest will follow.

I know they say don't make any big changes in job, spouse, house,etc until a year or something out but I'm blowing up right and left. Quit my job ( had other one lined up prior) and blew up at my roommate. I need to get this under control. Not that I was wrong to make the changes I did, but all this change is very stressful when not medicated by carbs!

I'm trying to get more exercise in to calm me as someone posted. Maybe I switch to Decaf tomorrow. HELP!!!!

I know they say don't make any big changes in job, spouse, house,etc until a year or something out but I'm blowing up right and left. Quit my job ( had other one lined up prior) and blew up at my roommate. I need to get this under control. Not that I was wrong to make the changes I did, but all this change is very stressful when not medicated by carbs!

I'm trying to get more exercise in to calm me as someone posted. Maybe I switch to Decaf tomorrow. HELP!!!!

I believe you have the right idea. I have an old friend from high school, and she is (I'm just going to say it) Bat Sh*t Crazy, of course I loved her, but she keeps herself in check with exercise routinely. She will not miss a day if she can help it. She also took up outdoor sports like kayaking, and it really keeps her moods leveled off! =)

I think our coping mechanism (food) is gone. That's how we got into our situations for the most part. Eating when stressed, or unhappy or worried. We have to learn how to deal with life's challenges in a different and healthier way!

My surgery is in a few weeks so I haven't been sleeved yet. But I do have to say that anytime I've dieted in the past (i.e. Removed my drug of choice - food) I have become really irritable during the beginning stages. There's prob a lot of things going on - hormones and such. But whatever triggered you to eat is still there and now it's likely surfacing.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

YES!

thankfully not all the time, but boy do I have my moments. I warned the family ahead of time, that while I am loosing weight and all the garbage stored in our fat cells that this would happen - so they could handle me gently.

Also a problem if I go too long without eating anything. I don't feel hungry, and I don't always realize it. I try to stick to my regular schedule of meals/snacks, that helps.

This thread really hit home for me. Starting around 6 months post-op, I felt that I was being constantly attacked at work and home. I was very irritable and sad, and I attributed it to feeling like I was being treated unfairly by many people.

In retrospect, I think that I probably stopped trying to overcompensate for my size and was more willing to stand up for myself. People didn't like that and responded negatively. I also think that some of my colleagues at work felt extra threatened by me once I began to get my physical health under control. In other words, they could feel superior to me when I was enormous, but my weight loss disturbed that.

To be fair, I had also stopped taking my Zoloft a few months post-op bc it gave me raging diarrhea. Now that I am again on a very low-dose anti-depressant/anti-anxiety med, things are much better.

I also agree wholeheartedly with the comments about not being sedated or medicated by food. That loss of my former coping mechanism (food used as a drug) is still a source of anxiety for me. During that 6-12 month time frame, it was a monumental stress, but it is better now.

I am now almost 22 months post-op VSG and believe I am at my goal weight. Way back at my surgical consult on March 6, 2014, my surgeon asked me how I would feel at around 145 lbs. I said that I couldn't even imagine it. Well, here I am. I wouldn't change the journey for anything-even the anxiety, attacks, and sadness at seeing previously hidden truths about humanity.

HW 267

SW 261

CW 145

Thanks for this thread.

B&B

Edited by berkeleyandbrownie

I have been having a lot of trouble lately. It's out of character for me, A day without tears is a victory.

@@NTL44

How far out from surgery are you? I totally get the feeling that a day without tears is a victory. I cried often during the 6-12 month post-op time frame.

Peace