Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Prices and surgeons in European please

Hi

I want to pay private for a gastric sleeve , I am from the U.K. . But prices in uk are to expensive , so looking to go to European to have it done

Anyone recommend anywhere please ? And no of the prices please ?

Much appreciated . Everyone who can help

Hey,

I am just back from Belgium - 6.5k Euro for the sleeve including accomodation and airport transfers.

I was unlucky and had complication but overall the experience was positive and the standard of care was high.

This is the website http://www.belgiumsurgeryservices.com - I was slightly put off by the website because it looks crap but I also had a few recommendations so went on that.

PM me if you want more details.

J

Arrived on Tuesday, admitted to hospital on Wednesday morning, surgery that afternoon, discharged Friday afternoon and home on Saturday!

I'm currently in my hospital room in the Czech Republic. I am from the UK and paid 4510 EUR (about £3500ish) plus flights (about £175, but I could have gotten those cheaper). You arrive at the hospital on Sunday, have pre-op tests Monday and surgery on Tueday. You then stay in the hospital until the following Saturday to make sure everything is OK and you're comfortable with how you should be eating etc. A week is longer then most places but I found that quite reassuring as I was travelling alone. You get a private room/bathroom or for an extra 30EUR a night you can bring a family member into the family room with you. The company was newleafwls.co.uk. They also have a really good private Facebook group you can join.

First two days utterly blew. The drain and IV came out today and that made me feel a bit better, but the incisions and drain site are very sore. Other than that OK I think, hopefully tomorrow will be better, really hope they let me take a shower tomorrow.

First two days it hurt, but if you say pain or sick to any of the nurses they come in and either add something to your IV or give you and injection for pain, depending on if your IV is in or not. Nausea stopped after the second day, I didn't throw up at all. Pain now is just my big incision and my drain site (the drain didn't come out until yesterday). Generally it's OK but I keep coughing and then you really feel it.

Sorry, just realised you asked about fluids. I have the week at hospital here, then two weeks at home, then two weeks on mush.

I've only had it for four days so I think it's a bit early to talk of regrets. I will say that (so far) I haven't thrown up (though I did drink half a Protein shake to fast today which caused a little nausea that went away) and they've had me on a proton pump inhibitor so I've had no problems with excess acid, even when I have sometimes forgotten to take it until later. Acid reflux is quite a common side effect post sleeve surgery so I won't know if that's the case for me until I come off the PPI, but the hospital sends you home with a three month supply and my GP says she'll re-prescribe if needed.

Not to jinx myself but in the scheme of things I think my op seems to have been fine, but early days yet.

I'm from near Birmingham, but actually may be moving to Wales later this year if I get accepted to go back to do my MA in Cardiff (I have a sister who lives there).

If money is an issue you may also want to consider the wrap instead of the sleeve as it seems to have similar results and costs just over half the price with the company I mentioned. Don't make your decision based solely on financial reasons, go with the procedure you feel is best for you, but don't necessarily discount it either.

Edited by perforce

Hi

I going to Poland on the 10 th of febuary

Glad you doing well

I wasn't sure , if I had to take a Protein Shake with me ? As you have . I will

I was born in Birmingham .

But from Cardiff now .

Maybe one day we could meet up and , talk about our sleeve journeys . Be nice to no , you not alone

When you flying home ?

I was provided with the shakes by the hospital, but depending on how long you're staying in a hotel etc, you may want to take some with you for after? I did bring some of my own with me, but I haven't used them.

Sorry, I assumed from the question you were still shopping for a provider, the 10th huh? So soon! Good luck, I'm sure it will go great. Who did you end up choosing to go with and how long are you staying?

Sure, if I end up in Cardiff we should sort something out.