Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Blood Disorder

I haven't had the surgery yet, but I do have a rare blood clotting disorder (Protein C deficiency). I take blood thinners daily.. But before any major surgery they always had me come in a day or two earlier an put me on heparin... They also sent me home with shots 2x a day... So I'm like you wondering how they will do this surgery...

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Thank you for asking...

I have Factor V Leiden as well and I'm taking Xarelto with no limitations. I am scared to have the VSG surgery because I'm afraid of clotting again. I'm still starting the process in hopes of having it. I need to do this and I'm going to but I'm still beyond nervous.

Sent from my N9132 using the BariatricPal App

I actually just found out that I have the Factor 5 gene mutation. I had my surgery in November 2015 and have had intermittent pain since. I found out that I have portal vein thrombosis (clotting in my liver veins) and I have been urgently referred to the hematologist. I will see him tomorrow morning. Not sure what this means overall, but I wish that I had known in advance that I had this mutation so that precautions could have been taken prior to surgery. I am still so very happy I went ahead with the surgery as I have had great success, and despite my pain I have actually never felt better.

Have any of you had any blood clots, specifically in the liver?

I've only had them in one leg... It's the only place I seem to get them... I have been to a hematologist, but it was a few years ago and really didn't learn anything new for me... My vascular surgeon was the most helpful for me... I hope you can get your pain manageable, I know what it's like to live with pain daily... Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I also have FFL and happened to stumble on this thread. I tried getting pregnant for about 4 years finally did but it was a scary pregnancy with the worries about clotting, high blood pressure, and gestational diabetes. One of my main reasons for getting the surgery is to hopefully have another baby with less complications and stress. I was comforted that my surgeon knew exactly what FFL was when I mentioned it but he didn't mention any extra medication. Should I bring it back up??

Sent from my LG-H820 using the BariatricPal App