Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Blood Disorder

I have Factor Five Leiden a blood Disorder. I take a blood thinner and have to watch what I eat. Green leafy vegetables are a no no, which is fine with me because I am a Very Finicky eater. However, I have other limitations on food. Does anyone else have this or any other type?

I don't have this, or really know anyone that does. I am wondering if you have already had surgery? How does this affect surgical procedures?

No, I haven't had bartric surgery yet. I found out that I have it a couple years ago. My older brother told me he had it and my Dr ran some tests and found that I had it too. My blood is too thick basically. Green leafy vegetables cause your blood to thicken, especially kale. Like I said though, I am OK with that because I've never liked vegetables. They literally make me gag.

I have Factor 5 Leiden! My surgery was 1/25 and I have to give myself shots in the abdomen for 30 days to lower my blood clot risk. I had no idea I had this disorder until my surgeon ran some extra blood work. I'm very thankful she was so thorough, and I feel a lot better after meeting with a hematologist

Islagirl#1

I was wondering how they would deal with this. I am glad you found out that you have it so you can do what you need to do to stay safe. So, shots in your stomach everyday? It could be worse I guess. Thank you for sharing. I feel much better knoing it's not a deal breaker. Next hurdle. .. I'm ready.

Hmmmmm, I have never heard of it, but I do know that if your blood is too thin, you can't eat foods with Vitamin K. That would include broccoli, celery, cabbage, spinach, sprouts, pickles, asparagus, carrots, prunes, cinnamon, ginger, etc.

So, maybe you could ask your doctor about increasing the amount of Vitamin K and warming spices that you consume.

Annette - have you seen a hematologist? I don't have to do anything on a routine basis, including dietary restrictions. The hematologist said the risk of clots is higher after surgery, and that risk is for 30 days, so he prescribed the shots. The needles are tiny and it's no problem. I will say that my surgeon is considering not doing sleeve for Factor 5 patients in the future and only doing bands. She had a patient with a different blood disorder and a history of blood clots have a complication recently. She actually called me into her office to let me know about it and she let me choose whether or not I wanted to proceed with the sleeve or switch to band.

I have the Factor 5 also. I had to be on the shots throughout an entire pregnancy, 2x a day. I am still pre-op but the hematologist would like me to have an IVC filter put in before surgery. Kind of nervous about that, people always tell you about all the bad things they hear about them.

I plan on asking the Surgeon about it too. I will do what I need to do. How long have you know that you have factor V?

I have actually know about 4 days...lol. When I had my clots the did a full work up and the doctor I had then told me I had a gene mutation called MTHFR, never mentioned the Factor 5 at all. So when they did another work up last week the new hematologist told me about the FFL. How about you? Let me know what your surgeon says about your situation. I saw on another post a few people refused the filter.

Wow, not long. I've known for about two years now. My brother had a heart attack and called me to have it checked. I was never able to get pregnant and my gynecologist told me that ,that is probably why. I adopted my daughter and wouldn't change my life for anything. Love my baby girl.

I have "sticky blood" or Antiphospholipid antibody. I don't have to restrict diet but I do take aspirin for a blood thinner. I think he will put me on blood thinner injections after surgery.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Mine caused my placenta to clot and had 2 miscarriages.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I'm sorry for your miscarriages. Very difficult. I'm on warfarin. I have to avoid Vitamin K which is in green leafy vegetables especially kale, I don't like them anyway. I'll have to ask about the filter.