Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Fear of Losing

Hey guys I'm new to BP. I'm in the process of getting cleared for VSG. I have been reaching & getting inspiration from various sources. I know it may seem a little superficial but I'm extremely worried about loose skin after surgery. I've seen some after pics that scared the s**t out of me. I get it, loose skin should be the least of my concern. But I think about it a lot. I've seen people who have tighten back up easily with no evidence of ever being overweight then there are others with extra baggage. I've read where Protein, Water intake, weight training and other things can reduce excess loose skin. There's even a new show on TLC titled "Skin Tight" where women get plastic surgery. I'm just interested about women's perspectives/remedies for loose skin.

FYI: I may be overly conscious because I'm a single young lady who has to deal with this generation's dating scene. ???? don't be too harsh.

Hi.....and welcome to the forum. I like to tell new folks that opinions and tact will vary, but we mean well.

At the age of 64, i do have some droop, but not enough to make plastic surgery worth spending my Social Security on. If I had money to burn, maybe I would, but I don't have to impress anyone.

However, if I were younger with decades of dating and relationships ahead of me, I would start saving money for plastics. Most insurance plans only cover the skin removal if the surgeon can prove medical necessity, like infection under the skin that does not respond to other treatments.

I have not heard of anyone's insurance willing cover the Tummy Tuck, which is surgical tightening of the lower abdominal muscles. Both procedures are pretty drastic, but I think of all of our bariatric brothers and sisters on this forum, who have had the surgery, few if any have expressed any regret.

One thing you have to your advantage is that the younger you are, the more likely your skin will cooperate in tightening up on its own. If I were you, I would just cross that bridge when I get to eat. You may not need plastics at all. Then if you saved up money for it, just spend it on a fierce new wardrobe or treat yourself to a vacation.

Well, let me tell you waiting till your older doesn't make it any better.

You might want to read this:

http://www.bariatricpal.com/page/articles.html/_/mental-health/body-image/the-6-things-you-can-do-to-minimize-loose-skin-after-weight-loss-r580

Yes, loose skin! I have lots of it and I didn't think it would bother me as much as it does.

Yes, I would much rather have this loose skin than the 140lbs I have lost but the loose skin really does make me look and feel bigger than I am.

I am 52 and because I lost and gained hundreds of pounds over the years, my skin is not bouncing back at all. I will have to have a lot of plastics to resolve my loose skin and it will take years before I can afford to do it. So for now, I will be working on stabilizing weight loss then I will prioritize what really bothers me the most.

You are not shallow or vain for worrying about it. It is a reality. Maybe not as badly for you because you are younger and if you have not done a ton of yo yo dieting you should get some back. It also depends on how much you have to lose.

For me, taking care of the plastics will ultimately be the last part of my weight loss journey.

Good luck to you! Better you do this now vs. waiting until you are older like me. My one regret is that I kept trying to do it without help and wasted many years causing damage to my skin, joints and spine.

Lol! I'm with you! I'm having surgery in March and I'm concerned, but I would rather work on saggy than lots of blubber! Lol my email is njeducator74@yahoo.com if you'd like to be friends :) I'm in NJ

How much do you have to lose?

Youth, genetics, and how much you lose govern whether or not you have loose skin left over, and how much. Certainly having a fit set of muscles underneath will help the sppearance, but whether or not you get it is really outside of your control.

I agree that with your degree of concern over it, it would be wise to start saving now for plastic surgery. I know I am, because I know up front I will need and want it. I'm not young, and my future loose skin won't bother my husband in the least, but it will bother me, so I'm saving for it.

The other thing to understand is that while you're in the period where you are waiting to get your surgery done, it's really common to have concerns about the "what-if"s. If it weren't loose skin, it would be something else, and in time there may be other concerns that worry you more than the skin issue does now. That's entirely normal, because you're waiting to make a big change in your life. Just know that once you're no longer waiting, other things will occupy your mind.

Good luck on your journey!

80-90 lbs.

That's not bad. I lost 95, I'm sure I'm quite a bit older than you, and the only problem area I have is my tummy. And that's not even too terrible (although I have considered plastics for it). Look at my pics in my profile and you'll see my skin isn't too bad. I have been exercising and lifting weights along resistance training for the last 14 months, so I think that has helped. At least I like to think it did ;)

In my opinion, the longer you wait the worse it will be.

If you wait another 10-20-30 years you will most likely be a lot bigger and your skin will be less resilient.

In my opinion, the longer you wait the worse it will be.

If you wait another 10-20-30 years you will most likely be a lot bigger and your skin will be less resilient.

I agree. You will have much better results if you do it now. Especially since you have less than 100 lbs to lose.

Youth, genetics, and how much you lose govern whether or not you have loose skin left over, and how much. Certainly having a fit set of muscles underneath will help the sppearance, but whether or not you get it is really outside of your control.

I agree that with your degree of concern over it, it would be wise to start saving now for plastic surgery. I know I am, because I know up front I will need and want it. I'm not young, and my future loose skin won't bother my husband in the least, but it will bother me, so I'm saving for it.

The other thing to understand is that while you're in the period where you are waiting to get your surgery done, it's really common to have concerns about the "what-if"s. If it weren't loose skin, it would be something else, and in time there may be other concerns that worry you more than the skin issue does now. That's entirely normal, because you're waiting to make a big change in your life. Just know that once you're no longer waiting, other things will occupy your mind.

Good luck on your journey!

Thanks for responding. Great advice to start saving for plastic surgery. I've read that if you have too much loose skin some insurance companies cover the removal, but I'm sure that is no small feat.

I'm a huge worrywart. Something that has also occupied my mind is the potential of blood clots.

80-90 lbs.
That's not bad. I lost 95, I'm sure I'm quite a bit older than you, and the only problem area I have is my tummy. And that's not even too terrible (although I have considered plastics for it). Look at my pics in my profile and you'll see my skin isn't too bad. I have been exercising and lifting weights along resistance training for the last 14 months, so I think that has helped. At least I like to think it did ;)

Wow you look great! I'll be 23 next month you don't look that much older. Resistance training is an amazing idea. Have you tried shape wear for your tummy i.e. waist trainers/corsets?

80-90 lbs.

Wow you look great! I'll be 23 next month you don't look that much older. Resistance training is an amazing idea. Have you tried shape wear for your tummy i.e. waist trainers/corsets?

Thanks! And I'm old enough to be your mom, lol. Havn't tried waist trainers or corsets. Only Spanx ;) It's really mostly skin I can't do much about without surgical intervention.

Oh I can totally understand where you are coming from. I happen to be extremely lucky in that I already have a relationship that I have been in for ten years so I am not hunting. Unfortunately He is ALOT older than me , so it is realistic that in five-ten years I will be single again.... Hopefully the men that will be in my prospective dating pool will be comfortable with my saggy baggy skin. I will have plastics eventually, but obviously the results won't come close to being as nice as women that had reconstruction earlier.

With that being said, I think if I were in your shoes I would get the best nutrition/ hydration exercise/ strength training I could afford. I would invest in good lotions and moisturizers to combat aging my face. And put the rest of my disposable income into an account for plastics. You might not even need it , but at least it will be there if you feel you do need it.