Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I love reading everyone's stories and realizing I am not alone! I was a self pay band back in 2006 and now weigh about 40 lbs more than when I was banded. I am currently trying to get insurance to cover revision to gastric bypass. I'm scared I will fail with this surgery too! What was the biggest difference you noticed after getting bypass?

I don't even know where to begin....it is really completely different for me. With the band, i felt like I lost weight because I struggled to eat. I couldn't eat because things got stuck. It was like being "choked off." I wasn't satisfied, so I found ways to eat around the band and ultimately had to have it unfilled and removed due to reflux. With the bypass, I lost weight simply because I have a small stomach that fills up quickly and I am satisfied sooner. That is what the band was supposed to do as well, but never did for me. I can eat anything, don't dump (not certain that is such a good thing!) and honestly enjoy eating even more than before any WLS. I enjoy good food in small quantities. Keeping my fingers crossed it works this time! Remember - you didn't fail the surgery. It failed you!

Hi

Thanks for your uplifting post! I'm having a band-to-bypass revision in five days (this Thursday) and it's great to hear you are doing so well. I had similar issues with the band, and am looking forward to a new life. Excited! ????

Edited by Energizer

I had my band out in October and am being bypassed March 14th Im over the moon and so excited to start my new life ..... deep down when I got my band, I knew I should have gotten the bypass but I suppise all things in life happen for a reason. I think the band has prepared me well for a bypass.

I am going from band to bypass am waiting for my date, I was concerned that my surgeon said I can only expect to lose 30% of my excess weight, if this is true it seems very extreme if I only lose 30 of the 100 pounds I need to lose. What percentage have others lost?

I am band to bypass 21 weeks out I have lost 62lb it's slower than other who have not been through previous surgeries. I want to lose another 30lb I just hit wonderland today. I really happy with bypass

Thank you I am sure with effort from my end I can lose more than 30% thank u for confirming it well done with your loss. Did u have both ops at once? Band out bypass in?

I am going from band to bypass am waiting for my date, I was concerned that my surgeon said I can only expect to lose 30% of my excess weight, if this is true it seems very extreme if I only lose 30 of the 100 pounds I need to lose. What percentage have others lost?

I am band to bypass and have lost 107 lbs. If you follow weight charts, I haven't lost quite 100% of my excess weight; however, I am at my personal goal of 165, wearing a size 10 and thinner than I have been since middle school!

Thank you notinks I have read a lot on here and it seems like with the right attitude you can achieve really good results so I shall just have to prove him wrong! Well done with yours I am getting really excited although now I have a wait of between 4 and 6 months.

I'm 2 time band to bypass had my surgery on 12\18 and have lost 37 pounds to date! Yes I can eat anything! In small amounts. I don't dump and haven't had any issues what so ever! I wish I chose this surgery from the beginning. It works if you follow your instructions and meal plans. So happy good luck with your upcoming surgery.

I'm heading in on March 10th for my revision. Got that awful band out on Feb 5th after 8 years, and now I'm just healing up and getting ready for my bypass. I'm nervous but I'm ready.

I am on the bumpy road post-op from having a band to bypass revision, 2 weeks ago, and have made some discoveries very different from when I had the band placed. First, the weight loss is dramatic at first - I was shocked to find I lost 21 lbs in the first 2 weeks. I can see it in my face and my legs. Got to keep drinking those fluids so I don't lose way too fast! Second, the blood pressure meds just suddenly aren't that necessary, and may cause you to get dizzy when you stand up. I got mine discontinued yesterday because of that. I was surprised that these two changes happened so quickly. The third surprise (not so much fun) was the Constipation. But with fluids, milk of magnesia and Miralax, it's resolving. To the original poster, yes, I say, go for it, you will be pleased with the outcome.