Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Stretched Sleeve

Hello all!

I am 3 years post op and I have lost about 200 pounds after having the gastric sleeve. I was maintaining my weight well, I always followed the rules besides not drinking enough Water. I got all my Protein from food eating no more than 1 cup or obviously stopping when I was full. I don't exceed more than 800-1000 calories a day. I basically played it by the book.

Well recently I had gained around 30 pounds in like 4 months...I did fall off the wagon for a bit but once again I never over ate, it was more my choice of food that was the problem. I quickly got back on track and have lost a few pounds. I have always been in contact with my dietitian. Recently I decided to contact my surgeon to make sure all was well. This morning I had an upper GI done and the radiologist said my sleeve has stretched...i am so upset and sick to my stomach...I dont understand how it stretched...I know my doctor wont believe me when I tell him that I never over ate...What do you guys think?

I NEVER would have thought my sleeve stretched...I am so mind blown honestly...I don't understand how it could have happened.

I'm following this. I hope you continue to provide updates along your journey.

Please don't stress yourself out. It'll only make things worse. Wait and talk to the Dr and set a new game plan. Hang in there.

I've never even heard orf such a thing happening. Did they give you any idea of how much it allegedly stretched? Reading your story up until the sleeved stretched part, I was almost certain that your problem was you wrecked your metabolism by only eating 800-1000 calories a day for 4 years. That seems like way too few calories to consume long term. The first six months maybe. I'm maintaining my weight right now eating 1700-2200 calories a day....

I did a bunch of research on the sleeve because I was considering it. I found out that their were a lot of people who got the sleeve and complained of weight gain 3 years out. Most doctors said it was due to stretching of the stomach. So you are not alone! I'm sorry to hear about your struggle. Just remember how much you have lost instead of the little you've gained. Stay positive and keep us updated!

I can't wrap my head around this! Half hour later and I'm still thinking it thru. How does a stomach stretch if you follow the program. I did a lot of research too and came across people who gained weight back, but they also admitted they fell off the program and found ways to eat around their sleeve (i.e. ice cream). OP hasn't, at least not long term anyway per her above post.

OP. Please keep us updated. Did your radiologist make this statement off of comparison to a prior image of your sleeve?

Edited by HopeandAgony

I can't wrap my head around this! Half hour later and I'm still thinking it thru. How does a stomach stretch if you follow the program. I did a lot of research too and came across people who gained weight back, but they also admitted they fell off the program and found ways to eat around their sleeve (i.e. ice cream). OP hasn't, at least not long term anyway per her above post.

OP. Please keep us updated. Did your radiologist make this statement off of comparison to a prior image of your sleeve?

That was what my research found as well. People eating around their sleeve: grazing, eating slider foods, eating and drinking at the same time, drinking their calories... This sleeve stretching as a real, actual thing and not just a myth is news to me. Everything I'd ever read led me to believe that stretching the sleeve significantly enough to really make a difference was impossible. I am very curious to hear more about the OP's journey. What potentially caused the stretching, how significant is the stretching, and whether or not anything can be done after the fact.

this is just something I found interesting. I was told by the doc and the nut from the beginning no carbonated drinks ever, it will stretch your sleeve. (not that that's what you did, just saying) from the beginning I was told that was a major deal, (stretching of the stomach. ) 5 Ways To Prevent Stretching Your New Stomach

1. Don’t overeat.
    • This is the obvious one but it needs to be said. It takes more than one meal to stretch your stomach and cause issues. However, if you give yourself a big meal here or there, it will eventually get out of hand. That’s how most battles with obesity start. So, do not overeat. Even if its Thanksgiving or Christmas do not overeat. Have an extra sweet or a small portion of the scalloped potatoes – number 4 on this list should help in those situations where big meals are common.
  2. Avoid fluids during meals.
    • Its best to avoid fluids during and right after meals. Give your stomach some time to digest the fluids separately from your food. Consider drinking your fluids an hour or two before a meal. This allows you to eat a decent amount of food without filling up on fluids and ensures that you get enough fluids throughout the day.
    • And don’t drink carbonated (especially diet – new studies show diet drinks can increase hunger) drinks at all. They can mix with your food and create gas that can put pressure on your stomach causing it to expand unnecessarily.
  3. Snack.
    • If you are struggling with hunger then its better to snack in-between meals than it is to go into a meal extremely hungry. When we skip a meal, such as Breakfast, its easy to get so hungry that we gorge ourselves the following meal. This is a good way to stretch your stomach. So instead, eat a snack in between meals.
    • Try and make it a healthy snack and limit the portion size.
  4. Reward yourself with a treat rather than a large meal.
    • Its important that you reward yourself from time to time. When our friends are eating chips and salsa or having ice cream its important to know that you can have a little bit as a treat from time to time. In fact, its important to change what you consider a treat. Its no longer OK to consider a large meal on Thanksgiving a treat. But it is ok to consider half a piece of chocolate a treat.
    • Limit your treats to once or twice a week and keep the portion size small.
  5. Portion size is more important than nutrition.
    • If you try to eliminate all treats and anything with fat then you are bound to fail. The key to success is moderation. That means that you shouldn’t eliminate everything good from your diet. If you do, you will probably end up cheating and then binging.
    • Remember, food is not the enemy. Eating should be an enjoyable part of your life. The enemy is excess. Enjoy your food in moderation.
Stretched Your Pouch? There Is Still Hope

The stomach is an amazing organ. It’s able to accommodate change in ways that have helped us survive for thousands of years. When food is scarce, our stomach can adjust our hunger sensors to say, ‘I’m full,’ after just a small amount of food. And, if needed, our stomach stretches to accommodate more food than is really needed. This can also be helpful when you might not know when your next meal is. However, our stomachs haven’t learned how to deal with a regular excess of food. Again, that’s why its easy to stretch your stomach after gastric bypass.

If you stretched your stomach, get back on track. Your stomach will adjust its sensors and you’ll start to get back to normal. But you may need the help of a dietitian and support groups. Its worth it to call your surgeon’s office and let them know that you feel like you’re losing control. A decent surgical practice will have the resources you need to get you back on track.

I would definitely wait until you see your doctor for results.

My understanding from the doctor is that you cannot stretch your sleeve because they remove the part of the stomach that is the stretchable part. Unlike the bypass where they use the stretchable part of your old stomach to make your new stomach pouch.

Interesting info @candi256. My surgeon and nutritionist didn't say anything about the possibility of sleeve stretching. They gave me most of the same guidelines you listed, but not within the context of sleeve stretching. Carbonation was to be avoided because of the potential for gas and discomfort. Drinking while eating was to be avoided because it can cause you to overeat. Snacking was always advised (supposed to eat 5-6 times a day) to fight off hunger and make sure I get enough calories. Large meals were to be avoided because of pain and discomfort from becoming overly full. Portion sizes, same thing. So while all of those are guidelines I follow, I was given different reasons for following them. Interesting indeed!

@@Ellenomore

What you said is what I was told also. The stomach, after surgery does not stretch. It's the food choices you make that cause weight gain.

It's also true that you cannot "shrink" your stomach by not eating as much. Just can't physically happen. You can train yourself not to eat much but it is very hard, but you cannot actually shrink your stomach.

@@Ellenomore

What you said is what I was told also. The stomach, after surgery does not stretch. It's the food choices you make that cause weight gain.

It's also true that you cannot "shrink" your stomach by not eating as much. Just can't physically happen. You can train yourself not to eat much but it is very hard, but you cannot actually shrink your stomach.

That's the way I've always understood it as well. But the OP says she had an upper GI done and the radiologist actually told her the sleeve is stretched. She didn't say how MUCH it's stretched... I can't imagine it's anywhere close to a normal sized stomach still. But it is alarming that she has been told it is stretched when everything I've ever read/heard has led me to believe that's next to impossible, and not at all the cause for people's weight gain years post-op.

I will be 3 years out in April and I can definitely eat a plate. For example, last night, I had a chicken leg, a cup of scalloped potatoes and a cup of peas...I felt satisfied, not sick or hurting...then 2 hrs later, I had a cookie with 3 pieces of lindt chocolate truffles...those items didn't make me feel that tight, nauseating feeling and I've noticed my eating capability has increased and I'm starting to stuff down more. Time to get it in check, but it makes me wonder if I stretched mine as well...

From my own research I always believed that the "stretched sleeve" was a myth. It is true that the stomach stretches. However, 80% of it is removed. It will never be able to stretch to the size it used to. The stomach does not regrow. However, what can happen is that the person may get used to eating larger and larger portions. The valve in the stomach compensates by letting food out quickly instead of over time. Eating slider foods makes it worse.