Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Post Surgery Foods You Can't Tolerate But Wish You Could

Curious to see how surgery has affected others like me concerning foods we use to enjoy and those we wish we still could. I'm only listing three or four that I miss and can't really handle anymore. I'm a little over five months out of RNY.

1. Salads: I've tried and tried to eat salad once I was able to get back on solid foods, but I find after only a few bites I simply don't enjoy it. I miss it, loved a good salad pre-op and there's a lot of good options for eating it if you don't go crazy on the extras. I think more than anything I may not be able to handle the lettuce and dressing now.

2. Chick Fil A Sandwiches: Love the original chick fil a sandwich, probably my all time favorite although I know it wasn't a great option given it was fried. I've tried to eat small portions of a sandwich over the last couple of months and even those very small portions don't sit well. I'm convinced it's the "fried" aspect because I have absolutely zero taste or tolerance for anything fried these days.

3. Anything with a bun: I'm definitely beyond craving bread, but these days the thought of a hamburger or hotdog wrapped in a big bun simply doesn't do anything for me. Pre surgery I was all about it (I know, not a good thing), but now I have no desire for these foods. I do enjoy an occasional roll or slide of bread if it's whole grain, but that's about it.

It's been interesting to see how my taste have changed. I'm definitely not a sweet person anymore, but I also don't deny myself a small taste if I see something I want. I've found better food options to satisfy cravings if they do pop up and that's kept me on the right track for losing weight and being healthy.

The only food that I really cannot tolerate now (seven months post-op) is meat. Sometimes I do miss it, but most of the time I do not. I can eat turkey burger and some pork, but pretty much everything else is off limits for me. I, like you, am still able to enjoy things in much smaller quantities.

Some people stick to their plan like glue, but I am a firm believer that "if" you can control what you eat, there is no harm. For example, when we go to McDonald's, my son orders what he wants and I order a fruit and yogurt parfait (no matter what time of day). I will eat 3-5 of his french fires, which satisfies my craving and have not done any harm in my eyes. Last week, we went to Logan's Roadhouse (they are famous for their dinner rolls). I ordered Soup and had two bites of a dinner roll and was satisfied. It's fine if people want to follow their diet to a tee, but I find that if I just have a little of something, my craving is satisfied and I am done with it.

I am 16 months post op and there are a few foods that I cannot tolerate and wish I could.

1. eggs, I have tried every which way to enjoy eggs again, every couple of weeks I try again because as time goes by I have noticed that foods that didn't work do work after some time.

By the way, salad was a food that I could not tolerate at all. It felt like the lettuce and raw veggies would just pile in there. I kept trying to work with salad because I loved my salads. At about 8 months post op we went to a Japanese restaurant and I tried once again a few bites of the salad and everything changed! I have been eating salad ever since! It is my favorite meal but you have to make sure you add good Protein to it.

2. Sandwiches. I just cannot do bread. It gets gummed up and takes up all the room in my pouch. I miss burgers most of all and I don't like eating them without the bun. I simply avoid sandwiches completely.

3. Bread. The only way that I can eat bread is if it is very toasted. Most of the time this really doesn't bother me but every once in a while I will have a piece of toast and I am fine.

4. Pasta. This is a good thing for me because I am Italian and Pasta used to be a staple in our household. I can eat a very small amount if it is almost over cooked in a Soup but on its own it does not sit well.

5. Anything overly sweet even if sf. Artificial sweeteners gag me. I think this is a taste aversion issue and I am thrilled about it. If I do indulge in a treat every once in a while it is usually cheesecake that is real sugar and not overly sweetened. If I bake for my family I cut the sugar way back in recipes.

6. Ice cream. I think the combo of sugar and fat in ice cream or custard really gets me sick. This is one food where I can handle a bite but any more than that and I am miserable. It used to be one of my favorite foods and now I don't care if I ever have ice cream again.

The good news for me is with the exception of the egg, these are not foods I should eat on a regular basis anyway so it's an added plus.

My advice to folks that are struggling with certain foods like salad and meats is to try them every couple of weeks. As your body changes you may be able to eat them again. Most meats were like this for me. I am still limited when it comes to pork and certain cuts of beef. I can eat the tenderloins with no problem but if I try a regular pork chop or even a ribeye steak, I don't tolerate it well at all.

For me- anything with a high fat content.

Fried anything-- nope-- tummy doesn't like that at all.

Bacon- Oh how I miss you bacon

Bologna- to fatty

Some cuts of pork (IE center cut-- I can eat loin end though)

pancakes (but oddly bread doesn't bother me at all-- pancakes feel like a led weight in my stomach

Farm raised salmon (but I can eat wild caught no problem)

Initially mayo didn't sit well- but that has worked itself out.

Scrambled eggs - I can eat hard boiled eggs

Mashed potatoes - I hate these now

meat - I continue to try but it makes me nauseous

bread - I haven't tried sandwiches but have had a few bits of bread with a salad and it just fills me up too fast

Tortillas - sits in the pouch like a lump

Unfortunately, I can eat more sweets then I would like but I just have to not eat them or eat in moderation.

there is really no food I miss. Now I'm eating to live...not live to eat .If there is something I want, I eat it, just a small portion.

salad - that's my one food I miss terribly and I just can't do it. I don't know if I just can't grind it up small enough with my teeth or what but I can't enjoy them. And I miss them so much. Cold and crunchy with yummy stuff on it.

Really, I miss cold and crunchy.

eggs could have easily made my list. Pre-surgery I was all over an omelet or anything egg. Now I have a hard time stomaching them at all. Ice cream as well, still crave it at times ( only one or two flavors...weird), but only a very small amount and nothing other than a premium brand otherwise I get very sick.

I, too, am getting the bum's rush from eggs.

... And meat. Especially beef, with the exception of super rare beef. I had a bit of someone's brunch filet mignon rare... It went down smooth as butter.

A meat ball may as well kill me however.

Which brings me to a theory, I think overcooking may be what I can't tolerate. Neither poached or scrambled egg are wonderful, but the more runny, the easier it is on me. Sashimi goes down easy. Dry cooked trout, not so much.

Edited by Emilie.Lancaster

eggs took me about six months to tolerate. meats other than fish or chicken about the same.

The stuff I still can't tolerate I don't mind for the most part--bread, Pasta, it all gets Gummy for me.

Carbonation--I would love the very occasional beer, Kombucha, a Moscow mule.

I can't do rice and don't mind it 90% of the time, but I do wish I could have it every once in a while in sushi.

I, too, am getting the bum's rush from eggs.

... And meat. Especially beef, with the exception of super rare beef. I had a bit of someone's brunch filet mignon rare... It went down smooth as butter.

A meat ball may as well kill me however.

Which brings me to a theory, I think overcooking may be what I can't tolerate. Neither poached or scrambled egg are wonderful, but the more runny, the easier it is on me. Sashimi goes down easy. Dry cooked trout, not so much.

Dry anything is very very hard for a long time. Keep everything very moist and gradually you will probably be able to tolerate dryer things.

At first I couldn't tolerate oatmeal, but thankfully that is not a problem now. I found a recipe for baked oatmeal that I make in muffin tins so it is nicely portioned and I can freeze it.

On the no-fly list still:

-whole peanuts -- I love getting peanuts in the shell. We went to a couple ball games in the summer. I felt so nauseous after just a couple. Strangley Peanut Butter is totally fine. I eat this in moderation though because of the fat content.

-mixed greens (raw, e.g. arugula, red cabbage, etc.) -- I'm not much of a salad eater, but every once in a while I will have one. Restaurants are particularly bad for this. I try to remember to ask for romaine instead of greens. My SO actually sent a manager to check on me in the bathroom one time when this got stuck in my pouch and took a long time to clear. Very painful.

-meatballs. Oh how I miss thee. Such an easy Protein. A couple bites and I feel sick to my stomach.

And, the grand poobah of bad foods for me -- boiled chicken. To date it is the only thing I have vomited. My only experience with the foamies so far. Thankfully I don't miss this.

After reviewing my list I feel like it is a strange combination of problem foods. That's okay. I've always been a bit of an odd duck :)

I thank you all for sharing your experiences with food post op. I have done nothing but research, ask hundreds of questions, and seek out those who have had bypass for information like this!! It is so helpful to me. I'm not post op yet-very soon. But I've started coming to this forum to read and learn.

I have a huge binder that goes step by tedious step outlining my programs rules and foods after surgery. I want to be totally compliant, and it mentions eggs, fish, and vegetables at certain timeframes "IF" you can tolerate them. My program wants the individual to be on food only-no shakes-by around the 3 or 4th month.

At 4.5 months post op, I don't have any problems with salads or eggs. I absolutely can't do white potatoes in any version (sweet potatoes made savory are ok though). Meatballs have been rough for me too.

I have a huge binder that goes step by tedious step outlining my programs rules and foods after surgery. I want to be totally compliant, and it mentions eggs, fish, and vegetables at certain timeframes "IF" you can tolerate them. My program wants the individual to be on food only-no shakes-by around the 3 or 4th month.

I always cringe when I hear this. I am so glad my program allows me to continue with Protein shakes! Even at over two years out if I didn't supplement protein with shakes and powders and bars I wouldn't be able to get in all my protein