Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Band to Sleeve? Dont know...Advice please!

So I was banded 8 years ago. No real complications...got to a the median estimated weight loss over time. Began to creep up a pound here and there and figured would "upgrade" to the sleeve. Main reasons were that I know that at some point the band will fail etc as it is a mechanical device...and secondly to get ahead on the weight regain curve.

Saved up on self pay, got my unfill about a month ago now in preparation for a Feb 19th surgery which is scheduled.

Now here is the problem...and question..

prior to banding I had severe gerd...to the point where I was afraid to go to bed at night. Woke up with acid in my sinuses 3 times a week, choking on stomach acid whole nine yards.

I thought it was because I was fat and was one of the driving reasons for my weight loss surgery. In my banding surgery they found a hernia and repaired it. Cool that must be my reason right? Fat and hernia...

Never had Gerd or heartburn post banding...well, after my unfill that is. Just about after every meal I have heartburn to some degree. Havent had a night time gerd episode "yet" but after reading all the GERD stories on sleeves I am hyper nervous.

To the point of looking at all options to include blowing the surgery off...Does anyone have any experience, stories from yourself or even other friends?? Any suggestions at all?

I haven't talked to my doctor yet as I want to kind of have my mind in a strong direction before doing so. I am thinking about bypass, but it seems the most extreme. My BMI is 34.5 currently...Also what if I try to go back into lapband fills after the break? Maybe it will be like a new banding?

Any thoughts or comments are appreciated!

If I had problems with GERD that were not caused by a hiatal hernia (an upper GI series can confirm this), I would go for a bypass. When it comes to matters of health and happiness, extreme is good IMO. I guess it helps that I know several people who have had bypass and done great. Lost all their weight, maintained, and are living healthy, happy, normal lives.

What I can share is that I did not have GERD, nor acid reflux pre-band or post band. 5 years later, my band had to come out and I was sleeved and now have acid reflux. My understanding of this is because the size of the stomach post sleeve still wants to produce the amount of acid it did when it was larger. The good news is some people stomach's adjust very quickly, bad news is that others take longer or as my doc told me sometimes will not adjust and you end up with acid reflux for a very long time. I was taking Prilosec on a daily basis for about 6 months. 8 months later I take a Prilosec maybe 2 times a week if that, so, there is hope. I'm not sure about GERD, but, I'm sure they are both related. I would talk more to you Doc about this.

My doc initially suggested by-pass, but, I insisted on sleeve and am so glad that I went this route. Although, I was initially scared with the reflux, I am very pleased with the outcome! The benefits exceed the reflux and I don't mind taking the Prilosec on a daily basis and I do live a very normal happy life.

You might consider a 2nd opinion, if you have that option. Much luck to you. Jake

I was banded 9 years ago but the band slipped so i had it removed and 3 months later had the gastric bypass

Best decision i made-no vomiting and no reflux

The gastric sleeve will give you severe reflux

I never even heard of reflux until the band lowered my quality of life due to it. I gambled and went sleeve, no reflux. With your long history I'd seriously discuss bypass option with surgeon. Having to sleep with my head elevated for a decade was hell.

I wasn't s revision, but I was sleeved 20 month ago. I did not suffer from Acid reflux pre surgery but have had a serious case of it post. I take protonix in the morning, dexilant at night before dinner and a Zantac before bed. If I skip a pill or eat the wrong foods I've been known to wake up gagging on stomach acid. It's pretty miserable. If I had a gerd problem pre surgery I would definitely have considered bypass. Oh, I had a hiatal hernia repaired at the time of my sleeve so that's not the cause of my problems. Good luck!

I was just approved for revision from band to sleeve. I've never had a problem with GERD or reflux (except when the band is too tight). Reading this thread is making me a little bit afraid of the sleeve! Yikes. I don't want to have that kind of problem all the time.

@@iamshazza check the current researh but I think something like 20percent (I am unsure of actual percent, but sizeable minority) of sleeves have some degree of reflux as a longterm issues. Doesn't mean it is severe. I had terrible reflux with band, and 4 years post sleeve none at all.

Educate thyselves on long term implications, risks and possible complications of both sugeries before choosing. Asking on a forum is fine, but looking at actual studies is better.

Forums are heavily weighted toward the very happy/ honeymoon phase shouting their surgery as perfect, people having issues the early weeks (the number of regrets posts) or complications and a few of us that stay around forever because we want the ongoing support to maintain. I am not convinced it truly reflects the larger population. In other words, you hear more the exetreme good and bad on the forums.

My sister had the sleeve a couple of years ago and has had great success and no complications- unless you do count the refulux, which she had previous to the surgery anyway. I was really just being...dramatic lol.

I have reflux issues only when the band is too tight and I never had any issues with reflux before the band. I'll be happy to get rid of this band and get the sleeve, no doubt. Even if I do have to take an extra pill for reflux every day.

This frightens me because I have a lap band and now I am intolerant to it 10 years later , so I am in the process of getting a revision. I have pretty severe acid reflux & heart burn, to the point that I have to get an endoscopy next week to make sure I don't have erosion. I was wanting to get the sleeve but after reading all the stories about severe reflux, it makes me want to run for the hill! I have been so miserable with acid reflux that I can barely drink Water without getting it! My problem is that my bmi is 35, I'm 5'4 and 207 pounds. My surgeon seemed to push me towards the sleeve because my bmi but I would rather get bypass if it will be better for this wretched reflux. What should I do? Sleeve or bypass?

I had a band for 14 years and developed heartburn, GERD, gastritis, esophagitis, and a hiatal hernia because of it. Converted to sleeve and had a hernia repair. The doctor kept me on GERD meds for 1 month after surgery and I have not needed it since. NO heartburn or GERD since surgery....

Go to your support group at your local doctor and ask! I spoke to my surgeon about this cause it was a concern as well. My surgeon at least has changed the procedure a bit and they are not having issues with a little tweak. I am a nurse so it makes total sense. But go ask the locals at a support group who have had it performed at their clinic and see what they say? More importantly talk to your doctor?