Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How much exercise do you do weekly?

I'm about 9 weeks out and I've began to exercise three times a week for about 30 to 35 mins. I was just wondering what everyone else is doing.

Following!

For me 5 to 6 days per week for about an hour. 30 min on tred mill or bike, and 30 min of weight exercise.

40 minutes on the elliptical every day. I started at 5 minutes at a time, and each week added another 5 minutes. I am pretty happy with doing 40 minutes for now, as I have upped the intensity of the 40 minutes instead of adding longer to my time for now.

I'm about 9 weeks out and I've began to exercise three times a week for about 30 to 35 mins. I was just wondering what everyone else is doing.

Well done !!!

I don't give a rip what my NUT & surgeon say.....exercise is very instrumental in weight loss.

Don't get me wrong.....they certainly encourage it.....but they simply don't acknowledge the power of it.

Early on in my pre-op process my surgeon gave me a smirk and shook his head when we'd discussed my past weight loss efforts. He even laughed when I told him the plan that I'd implemented. "So...how much did they get off you ?" he asked in a condescending manner. "Oh, doc.....about a 120 pounds in 8 months.....are you gonna tell me that exercise isn't effective now?".

He altered his position a bit after that.....less smirking and condescending.

I agreed with him that the calories I was burning in the gym may not equate to more than 3-4 candy bars at a time......but what it was doing was:

1) Putting me in an environment filled with motivation.....everyone around me was humping it and working hard

2) I ALWAYS punch in my weight on the treadmill & elliptical and carefully watch the calorie burn that is calculated. Seeing this is powerful because it does get through my thick skull as to how hard it is to burn those beers and pizza off. It helps later in the day to maintain kitchen discipline. I'll not graze on Snacks or junk food because of my gym time.

3) Weight training......became addictive. Unfortunately, my enthusiasm was greater than my abilities and injuries occurred right when I was making strides.....surgeries to repair said injuries ended my lifting fun for too long. But the muscle building work does wonders to up the metabolism and help with overall calorie burn.

That is great that you are getting in your exercise. It'll pay off hugely and supports your efforts.

Following!

Me, too. Waiting on a release from my surgeon to say my abdominal hernia is good to go and I"m gonna be lifting again.

I bought a FitBit One that lives on my keychain. I don't always have my keys with me....but I'm now finally getting my 10,000 steps every day at work. Feels freaking great to be much more mobile.

Started going back to the gym on my day's off work for cardio.

40 minutes on the elliptical every day. I started at 5 minutes at a time, and each week added another 5 minutes. I am pretty happy with doing 40 minutes for now, as I have upped the intensity of the 40 minutes instead of adding longer to my time for now.

Wow....that is super.

You are going at it hard and must be feeling the benefits already. Well done !

So far, I'm either walking at work or treadmill on my gym visits.

I'll be working back to the elliptical in a couple weeks. That is an incredible cardio machine and in many ways is more comfortable on my Sasquatch-like frame that the treadmills.

I'm hoping the daily glucosamine & chondroitin doses kick in soon and help these knees.

Gotta kill another cup of coffee and go to the gym this morning and do some work, myself. Get my day-off work kicked off well.

I walk 2-5 miles every day. I have to walk the dog (I got a dog right after surgery, and part of the purpose was to force me to be active). The bare minimum we do is 2 miles, if I go shopping and push my steps I hit 5 miles a couple times a week. The average is about 3.5 miles a day.

I am adding in additional workouts on top of walking this week. Yoga and weights because I don't want to just lose weight I want to be fit and look good in my clothes. Dropping this amount of weight in less than 6 months, I am just far too loose feeling.

I just wanted to add my personal opinion on gym equipment. I can do an hour on the elliptical and barely break a sweat. Walking in my neighborhood on real terrain is far harder. When i was just going to the gym and using the elipitcal, I was barely losing any weight. As soon as I stepped up my walking, my weight loss dramatically increased. Gym equipment just tries to mimic physical activity. If you can do real physical activity and do it outside with more variables, you will burn more calories. Also, once you get up to 30 minutes on the eliptical, try to build up to 20 minutes on the stairmaster, that is going to be a better workout and burn more calories.

Edited by OutsideMatchInside

For the first year after surgery I ran about 3 miles a day and I did boxing and MMA 2-4 times a week. After that I had a year of plastics procedures so when I was cleared to run, I did, but most days I just power walked 3-5 miles. I am now 28 months out from surgery and there are weeks I run everyday and weeks I do nothing. I weigh myself everyday and if I see my weight start to creep up, I work out more. I think I ran 2-3 times in all of December because I was busy, maintaining my weight, and it was cold, so I was even more lazy.

I'm 69 days out and just started exercising more regularly and seriously. Trying to do 2-5 miles of walking 3-5 times a week. Once I get that habit down pat...ill figure out what to add

I work out 6 days a week sometimes 7 if you include yoga. I do a bunch of different things as I like them all so fitting them all in is sometimes hard. I do crossfit, spin classes, run 15 plus miles a week, yoga, and then workout video's like Insanity,T25, P90x. Working out was never my problem though as I worked out 6 days a week before surgery. I could just never outrun my fork. I am happy to say I can now workout as much as I want and not be starving all the time.

~LA

Workout at least 3 times a week cardio. I'm 5 weeks post op, waiting to get cleared to start weights

When I was in the weight loss phase, I would run 3 miles 3-5 days a week. Now in maintenence, I run less (things start to hurt at 48), but try to get to the gym at least 3 days a week to sweat and on the other days make sure I get at least 10,000 steps in.

Wow....that is super.

You are going at it hard and must be feeling the benefits already. Well done !

So far, I'm either walking at work or treadmill on my gym visits.

I'll be working back to the elliptical in a couple weeks. That is an incredible cardio machine and in many ways is more comfortable on my Sasquatch-like frame that the treadmills.

I'm hoping the daily glucosamine & chondroitin doses kick in soon and help these knees.

That was actually my motivation for getting an elliptical- my knees! It doesn't bother them at all (and I have a partial ACL tear in one of them). I knew if I bought an elliptical I would be more keen on using it vs going to the gym. I'm a single mom with 4 kids and there is no way I could find the time to go to the gym- however the elliptical is there for me at 3am, 5am, 1pm or 10pm- whenever I can work it in.

I also have found that now instead of turning to food- I turn to exercise. If the kids or life are stressing me out- I go do 30 minutes on the elliptical LOL It feels great, clears my head and best of all, my kids get excited and cheer me on (so they are SEEING good habits now).

My exercise routine varies a lot. Some weeks I am at the gym using the elliptical, treadmill and rowing machine. My husband and I walk the bridges in our downtown area a couple times a week.

Mostly, I like activities that keep me outside like kayaking and hiking.

I don't have a set amount, time, or routine that I follow.

At about 6 weeks I started focused exercise (more than light walking). I purchased a good quality stationary bike and use it religously 5 days per week first thing out of bed before work. 45-60 minutes and 20ish regular pushups or a few 2 minute planks. If I'm not "feelin it", (unless I'm really sick) I do it anyway, usually on a much easier setting, but for at least 45 min. It's a 2 year old habit now and my day is just not right without it.

I want to walk 30minutes everyday without fail. I have started walking around the block takes about 20minutes..lol.. Pre op only twice a week.. So post op this is my goal.