Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone with successful weight loss with the gastric sleeve that had NO success with the lap band?

I'm considering revision and would prefer gastric sleeve over the other surgeries.

Is there anyone that has had success with the sleeve that had no success with the band?

Thanks.

Yes, right here! While I lost 85 lbs initially, the complications I had with the band (inability to eat due to getting stuck on freaking Water, constant vomiting, hernia, constant pain, etc) caused me to have to get the band completely unfilled. This lead to a 50 lb weight gain. While my band was unfilled, I did three rounds of Insanity, Weight Watchers, South Beach Diet, T25, did 5Ks twice a month, and STILL gained all that weight back.

Now that I've had the sleeve about two months, I've lost 57 lbs with very minor issues (reflux, but it's treatable with an acid blocker). I wish I'd done the sleeve the first time, but I always have to do things the hard way. ;)

Do what is right for you, but go in with your eyes open. I wish you the very best of luck!
Heather

Thanks Heather but I mean NO results from lap band. I may have lost a few pounds but literally that's it. Whether due to always feeling stuck and never satiated and /or eating slider foods or emotional eating, I never succeeded with the band. It's hard to imagine the sleeve will help me.

Edited by mdg

Oh, I understand what you meant. Sorry. Well, what I can tell you is that the sleeve works. It really does. But, it is only a tool that you need to use properly. If emotional eating is your problem, seek help for that prior to the surgery. Get into the habit of picking up something positive to do that doesn't involve food in order to cope. Make sure you are drinking enough Water and drinking it throughout the day. Make sure you have a good support system in place BEFORE your surgery so that it will go as smoothly as possible.

Nothing is 100% effective, and NOTHING is 100% fool-proof without complications. But if you open your eyes, your ears, and your mind to the possibilities and understand all of that, you will be successful.

Good luck, and may the force be with you.
H

the sleeve wont solve emotional eating issues, no surgery will. You need to confront the reasons behind your eating issues , until you can do that, the surgery will fail. Surgery does absolutely nothing for head hunger. Thats all on you.

What Stevehud said....

And here is a link to an article that should be a mandatory read for anyone considering WLS, as well as a regular reread for veterans....

http://www.bariatricpal.com/topic/357439-bariatric-surgery-only-makes-your-stomach-smaller-otherwise-youre-exactly-the-same/?fromsearch=1

Good luck! And check out @@CowgirlJane 's posts. She's been very successful with her revision

I had initial success with band lost about 30-35 pounds and gained it all back. Over 6 months out and have lost 65 pounds with sleeve. Very happy about my choice!

I had initial success with band lost about 30-35 pounds and gained it all back. Over 6 months out and have lost 65 pounds with sleeve. Very happy about my choice!

Same here. I lost about 30 pounds total with a lot of difficulty. My band then did slip. had an unfil and never the same since. Looking forward to the removal and getting the sleeve in 3 weeks.

I did not do too well with the band but have been maintaining 150# loss post revision to sleeve in Dec 2011. Not going to claim it has been easy, but sleeve has helped make it possible.

I lost 90 pounds with my lap band.....it slipped so I had it removed and 2 years later I started to gain weight back, so I just got the sleeve on 12/14/15. I've lost 14 lbs so far but I only have 24lbs total to lose.

I was banded in 2012, lost only 25lbs. I yoyo'd for the next year with fill/unfill repeatedly. In 2013, they couldn't find anything wrong with the band but went ahead and unfilled the band. I gained over 75lbs before doing revision in July 2015. I am down 96lbs since my revision and no complications.

I too was a failed lap band patient. My initial loss was like 60 lbs but mostly because I had problems eating or drinking. Everything would get stuck and I developed a hernia and stomach problems. I was stuck on soft foods only and they tried filing the band a few times and finally gave up and unfilled it. Vomiting was always on the menu. In the end, my surgeon removed the band along with my gallbladder. In the years between the removal and my gastric surgery I gained almost 100 lbs. which was 40 more than I had previously lost. I've had my gastric sleeve since 9/22/2015 and have lost 86 lbs so far. While eating is a learning curve again. I have not thrown up after every meal. I am trying to get as much Protein in as possible as my hair has started falling out (this is normal). It has not been too hard getting rid of old habits such as sweets because they tend to give me a headache and make me slightly uncomfortable. This is becoming a total mental game for myself as I am not being cheated out of anything by having the gastric sleeve. I am making better food choices not just out of necessity but also because food is a fuel not a lifestyle. For years I lived with using food to soothe my ills and everything that went wrong in my life. The only place food as gotten me to was almost 400 lbs. Now, I am choosing a new path where food is a necessity and not a destination. Remember any weight loss surgery has its ups and downs and is only a tool to use in your own journey. Walking past a piece of cake before would have been unheard of but now, I can walk past it because it is just sugar and wasted calories. Yes, it does still taste good but after two bites your body has already had its fill and you no longer taste it. We were just conditioned to eat it all. I had to learn that my over eating was not going to help any starving children in another country. Now, the one thing I need to get rolling on is exercise. I tend to be lazy in that department, however, with now having more mobility I try to make a more conscious effort to walk more. I know shortly I will have to step it up. Good Luck to All!

Thanks everyone. It's very helpful reading your comments. Please keep them coming. :)