Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New Study: Vitamin D Levels Linked to Weight-loss Surgery Outcomes

Like many people, I take extra Vitamin D in addition to my Multi-Vitamin as while I am blessed and spend time a lot of time in the sun, I still struggle with low levels. I found this article really interesting so thought I would share.

Vitamin D Levels Linked to Weight-loss Surgery Outcomes

Published: December 22, 2015.
Released by Johns Hopkins Medicine

Low levels of Vitamin D have long been identified as an unwanted hallmark of weight loss surgery, but now findings of a new Johns Hopkins study of more than 930,000 patient records add to evidence that seasonal sun exposure -- a key factor in the body's natural ability to make the "sunshine vitamin" -- plays a substantial role in how well people do after such operations.

Results of the study, published online Dec. 14 in the journal Obesity Science & Practice, reveal interplay among Vitamin D status, seasons, geography and surgery outcomes, according to Leigh Peterson, Ph.D., M.H.S., a nutritionist and postdoctoral research fellow at the Johns Hopkins Center for Bariatric Surgery, who led the research.

Here is a link to the rest of the article http://www.sciencenewsline.com/news/2015122223190030.html

Thanks for sharing the link to that interesting article. Living in MN, I've had low vit.D levels for years. I'm happy my bariatrician increased my dose prior to surgery since WLS was in February.

I knew that as a culture, we are very low on Vitamin D, especially with the increased use of sunscreen. I also knew that low Vitamin D is a critical factor for weight loss patients. It makes sense that weight loss patients get the double-whammy of low Vitamin D.

I assumed that was why my program advised all of their patients to start taking extra Vitamin D from day 1 of even contemplating surgery.

Thanks for this! I struggle taking my Vitamins and I recently had my 6 month labs done and I'm low on Vitamin D. I really need this surgery to be successful so I guess I need to take my regular vitamins and my extra vitamin D more regularly. And I'll be spending extra time outside come spring!

I had low D preop but have tested normal since losing weight. Weird, huh?

Thanks for this! I struggle taking my Vitamins and I recently had my 6 month labs done and I'm low on Vitamin D. I really need this surgery to be successful so I guess I need to take my regular Vitamins and my extra Vitamin D more regularly. And I'll be spending extra time outside come spring!

It will be critical to take your vitamins post-op. There will be a lot of nutrients you can develop deficiencies in, just due to the fact that you will be eating such limited amounts and types of foods. There are lots of apps available that will set reminders for you. Hopefully you can just get into a routine with it and not even have to think about it anymore like I have.

You say there are apps that can set reminders? Can you name one or two that you like?

I've never needed one and I don't have a cell phone, but I had read/seen good reviews for an app called Pill Reminder.

This is really interesting....I have been low on Vit D for over a year. My Dr hasn't been too worried but I will definitely be upping my intake for the next while as I prepare for surgery!