Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am just over 2 years out from my vertical sleeve. I've lost a total of 140 pounds and have been maintaining for the past 12 months. I had a stricture at the top of my sleeve approximately 16 months ago and had an EGD with dilation that helped. I have started to have the same issues again - inability to eat or drink, severe pain, nausea, dehydration - and saw my surgeon again yesterday. She has scheduled another EGD and dilation but mentioned that I may need to have a revision to an RNY bypass due to the stricture. Basically, the stricture makes my sleeve the same size that the pouch would be if I had a bypass.

I have also struggled with gastritis on an ongoing basis so I've been kept on 40 mg of omeprazole twice per day. I don't feel reflux but that's not to say it isn't silent. I'm wondering if there are any other members out there who have had to do the bypass revision from the sleeve due to stricture and not necessarily reflux? I'm just really concerned about the side effects of the bypass revision. I am wondering about your experience with additional weight loss after the revision. I would be okay losing maybe 15 pounds more, but would not want to go any further than that. I'd really appreciate hearing about your experiences to help me know what to expect.

Thank you!

Edited by edpsych78

Great topic! I am in the hospital right now with a bypass revision from the sleeve. The recovery, thus far, is a Little rough! Thanks for posting questions.!

I am just over 2 years out from my vertical sleeve. I've lost a total of 140 pounds and have been maintaining for the past 12 months. I had a stricture at the top of my sleeve approximately 16 months ago and had an EGD with dilation that helped. I have started to have the same issues again - inability to eat or drink, severe pain, nausea, dehydration - and saw my surgeon again yesterday. She has scheduled another EGD and dilation but mentioned that I may need to have a revision to an RNY bypass due to the stricture. Basically, the stricture makes my sleeve the same size that the pouch would be if I had a bypass.

I have also struggled with gastritis on an ongoing basis so I've been kept on 40 mg of omeprazole twice per day. I don't feel reflux but that's not to say it isn't silent. I'm wondering if there are any other members out there who have had to do the bypass revision from the sleeve due to stricture and not necessarily reflux? I'm just really concerned about the side effects of the bypass revision. I am wondering about your experience with additional weight loss after the revision. I would be okay losing maybe 15 pounds more, but would not want to go any further than that. I'd really appreciate hearing about your experiences to help me know what to expect.

Thank you!

I don't understand the logic here. Stricture is making you sick, can't eat, drink, have pain. He says because the stricture makes the sleeve like a pouch, you should go to bypass?? So he wants to permanently make it into a pouch; knowing that the stricture imposed pouch-like design is causing you issues?

Strictures happen with bypass patients too.

Gerd, laparoscopic sleeve to laproscopic bypass.

Hi all.

I originally had my surgery in TJ, Mexico February 23,2013 starting weight was 255lbs.

I lost weight till about September 23,2013 my weight was around 184-181lbs stable.

I remained and Maintained that weight till September 2014. I lost about another 10lbs. The lowest I was around 170 or 169lbs. I know I had no restrictions eating what so ever. I had a sweet tooth and still do.

I did have minor acid reflux prior to surgery but nothing enough for me to take medication for it. As soon as I had my sleeve done I was on omprezole 40 mg once a day. Till my gastronologist recommended I have a endoscopy done.

Worst choice ever. Since I did my endoscopy February 2015 till today almost a year ago I take omprezole twice a day... Sometimes even three times. My symptoms have become worse.

Long story short I have done upper GI about two weeks ago and it is confirmed I have severe gerd.

My doctor which is here in LA.. Adviced to have a revision surgery to gastric bypass. That would cure my gerd 100%.

Mind you after the sleeve I was Vitamin b deficient and Vitamin D. My vitamin D levels were very low now I'm at normal but still do take my dose of 50,000 units of vitamin d once a week. My vitamin b is well.

Other then gerd that is still irritiaring me, my vitamin levels which are under control there are no other major issues. I'm extremely scared for a revision to a bypass. Even though the doctor told me the most I'll lose is another 20lbs, not to expect more weight loss. What if I don't loose or what if I loose to much. I'm scared what if I become malnourished. I already have Hair loss for the past year tons of them. No idea.. What to do. I signed the surgery consents but no date yet. I should expect a date in end of February. I want to know if anyone has had a revision? I was 23 when I did my sleeve now I'm 26.

On the positive side I am wondering if I will ever be satisfied with my weight. Hoping I'll be 130????????????. I have gained weight with the holidays etc no excuse but I am 178 lbs ????. Main issue is gerd. I have one person near and close mentioning my weight it's my boyfriend. He isn't good support he has no idea about my past journey and how far I've came. I don't know but sounds like I have some issues.