Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I hate my band...

I was banded 4 years ago. I lost a bit of weight (far from what I needed to) about 55 lbs but it took me forever (2 years) and lots of hard work. I have now allowed my weight to creep back up and I'm close to where I started again.

I hate the unpredictability of my band and the feel of the port in my gut. I'm thinking about the sleeve or the bypass.

I'm of course so embarrassed to call my hospital program again. I haven't been going. My gp Doctor suggested I convert to the bypass and I started bawling in her office. It's embarrassing to fail at weight loss after surgery.

Has anyone here converted? Thought about it?

Why not go back to the surgeon and get a fill? Every surgery will be hard work. If after rebooting you aren't doing well, then consider a revision. Don't be embarrassed. They have seen it all

I completely agree - they have seen it all and should welcome you back with open arms to help you get back on track! It's normal and okay to feel embarrassed, but you have nothing to be ashamed of. You are not the first, nor will you be the last, person to struggle with weight-loss. Don't be afraid to reach out for support. It's easier said than done, but you'll be so much happier once you do. If your surgeon or their practice is not supportive than they are a bad practice. We've all experienced failure, and it doesn't mean you're deficient it just means you're human. And it doesn't mean you can't learn from your past and be successful the next time around.

If you have been honest and really tried, there is no shame or embarrassment. I'm sure the doctors/staff have seen far worse. People trying to eat regular and not give lap band a chance. I lose a good deal of weight first two years with no fill but now I have gained some back even with fills. It is hard work and at times we get discouraged, but we have to remember the reason we first decided to get one. To be healthier and happier people. Each of our journeys are different. Don't base your story to someone else's. talk to your doctor and perhaps he can give you suggestions, or talk to a nutritionist, or what he feels might help you with support and if a different kind of surgery is required be open to it. It doesn't mean you have to do it. Just get the information.

Good luck!

I had Lapband surgery 1/20/2009 at 265 pds and it's been a journey of ups & downs on the scale & emotionally also.

I lost close to 50 pds thru the years but put it all back on. I kinda was thinking I failed this journey & that my Lapband wasn't the answer after all

Well 2015 was the worst year in my life, my sister died then my mother in law died too, so I found my self eating to console myself. So my weight went up even more.

Well I stopped that in August 2015, I started weight watchers online. I just didn't want to be in a meeting couldn't handle that commitment at that time.

I hadn't been to my Lapband Doctor since March 2014 & I was afraid to go.

Well I received an appmt card from him in November 2015 stating he had made me an appmt for Jan 2016 so I had to go.

So I went today very scared that he would be upset & know that I failed the Lapband but that didn't happen what I realized by talking to him that life happens & I didn't fail as I was 218pds today which is still 47 pds less than when I had the surgery 2009 & when I was in his office in 2014 I was 233 pds so I was losing.

So you see it's never to late to get back on track ????????

I had Lapband surgery 1/20/2009 at 265 pds and it's been a journey of ups & downs on the scale & emotionally also.

I lost close to 50 pds thru the years but put it all back on. I kinda was thinking I failed this journey & that my Lapband wasn't the answer after all

Well 2015 was the worst year in my life, my sister died then my mother in law died too, so I found my self eating to console myself. So my weight went up even more.

Well I stopped that in August 2015, I started weight watchers online. I just didn't want to be in a meeting couldn't handle that commitment at that time.

I hadn't been to my Lapband Doctor since March 2014 & I was afraid to go.

Well I received an appmt card from him in November 2015 stating he had made me an appmt for Jan 2016 so I had to go.

So I went today very scared that he would be upset & know that I failed the Lapband but that didn't happen what I realized by talking to him that life happens & I didn't fail as I was 218pds today which is still 47 pds less than when I had the surgery 2009 & when I was in his office in 2014 I was 233 pds so I was losing.

So you see it's never to late to get back on track ????????

Well said!! This was a very inspiring post. Never, ever give up on yourself. Best of luck to you and keep posting here!

Getting rid of my band and getting a sleeve was the best decision I ever made. I just wish I did it sooner!

I agree with @@briefs199 every surgery is going to be work. They all work differently and you have to put a different amount of work into them but they all require you to show up and be accountable for you.

Since you already have the band, and if you not having trouble with it why not speak to your Dr. and see what they advise? I know many are switching, taking out the bands and getting sleeved or going for the by pass. I have to tell you that when my surgeon "retired" and we (hubby and I) were kind of left to find our way with the new group that took over or another one...and life happened along the way....I was not losing, I was eating I found my old habits easy to retreat to...I saw I was not losing and I won't lie, I thought about changing up my surgery. The new Dr. even advised that I would be a candidate for a revision, but I had to think seriously long and hard about it.

My realization was this: I don't have a problem with my band. My port is working fine, I get filled and unfilled, I eat and don't get stuck or sick when I follow the rules of eating (which is true for all surgeries) so why would I change to another surgery? If I can't make what I have work for me why go through it again and find myself still asking these questions?

I know that what I need to do is make behavioral changes, both physically and emotionally. For me I am an emotional eater. Happy, sad, feed it sweets!!! That is what needs to change. I need to remember that all my body needs is a balanced Breakfast lunch and dinner. It doesn't need anything more, and I don't need to use food to sooth my savage beast when she's ready to roar or soothe my boo boo's with chocolate and ice cream.

So I am not revising my surgery, I am still down having gained only 4 pounds since my last weigh in when I had an unfill due to virus and I am determined to make the changes I need to make because I know no matter what....if I don't change them I am going to be right here struggling with it.

I was banded 4 years ago. I lost a bit of weight (far from what I needed to) about 55 lbs but it took me forever (2 years) and lots of hard work. I have now allowed my weight to creep back up and I'm close to where I started again.

I hate the unpredictability of my band and the feel of the port in my gut. I'm thinking about the sleeve or the bypass.

I'm of course so embarrassed to call my hospital program again. I haven't been going. My gp Doctor suggested I convert to the bypass and I started bawling in her office. It's embarrassing to fail at weight loss after surgery.

Has anyone here converted? Thought about it?[/quote

Yes I have thought about having a sleeve. Had a band in 2008 and have put two thirds back on. But I have heard that sleeve folks can muck it up like we bandits!

I want to see if we can get any replies here from folk who have converted.

Gaylene

Yes I have thought about having a sleeve. Had a band in 2008 and have put two thirds back on. But I have heard that sleeve folks can muck it up like we bandits!

I want to see if we can get any replies here from folk who have converted.

Gaylene

I converted. Sleeve vs Band is like night vs day! I feel like a normal person now who is not driven by food. The band only clogged me up. It didn't stop my hunger and cravings. Getting that horrid thing out was the best decision I ever made. I really can't believe doctors are still putting them in. I think the good ones have stopped.

Sounds to me the band is doing nothing...never was properly adjusted and you're doing most of the work...

If it was up to us to do the majority of the work, why have surgery?

For me it's the other way around..the band does most of the work and I just needed to learn to live with it...

In return it has taken away my hunger, most cravings, and automatically sets my portion sizes making it difficult to overeat....I don't even think about food or eating...

And because I feel so good, I just want to be more active......

Just My opinion....My Experience

I haven't read through all the comments but let me tell you, you are not alone. The band has a HUGE failure rate. In fact, I've heard (unconfirmed) that it's going to be pulled off the market next year. I had a band place in 2007, I lost 100 lbs and it worked great for 6 years. I got pregnant in 2013 (after years of trying! Yay!) and it all went downhill from there. I regained the 100 lbs plus 37 more over the next 2 years. The band had broken and adhered to my liver. Pain, vomiting, acid reflux.

I couldn't live like that. I didn't even care as much about the weight as I did being uncomfortable every moment of my life. I finally talked to a dr about a revision and she told me that they have discovered the bands only have a "lifespan" of 8-10 years before they break. They are having TONS of band patients coming back through and getting revisions or just plain removals.

I had it removed yesterday FINALLY! I am so happy. I am beyond happy. I'm thrilled. I will be having RNY (due to my horrible reflux I was having with the band) on March 10th. (They remove first and give time to heal.)

I totally understand your feelings of failure. I haven't told many people about the whole thing cuz I just hate the way I feel about it. But it got to the point that the band was working against me! Healthy food hurt. fruit, broccoli, nuts, Peanut Butter, Water EVEN, caused me extreme pain. But unhealthy stuff like mashed potatoes, ice cream, sour cream, dips and sauces, all went down with very little pain. I felt like it was shock therapy. Good foods = pain. Bad foods = no pain. How could I maintain any sort of healthy diet with that pattern?!

I feel like I've been given a second chance here. I'm running with it. I feel your pain, I really do. But I'm working towards not giving a crap about what other people think because I need to do me and get healthy. That's the bottom line. The embarrassment is so hard though.

I'm sorry for your experience.

The last facts I reviewed show that

40% of lap band patients have the device removed .

This board seems to not back up that statistic ... And yes, they are still being placed. ( one interesting note was older people have higher success rates)

Many people are successful and COMPLIANT ... They may have gone on. Or not contribute here.

There is a group of us that still adore our life Changing lapband. I wouldn't change it for anything.

A very personal choice. Do your Research and make an informed decision.

Best to us all for conquering the demons that conspire to make us overweight!!????

I know there are people out there that do still love their bands. I was one of them until the band failed. I was 100% compliant but it slipped during my bouts with severe morning sickness.

My surgeon told me that she removes five times as many bands as she puts in, and she STRONGLY advises against them. She's not the only one that feels this way, by far. Lapbands do work for some but they can be very dangerous, even if you are 100% compliant.

To quote this article "LGB (lapband) should no longer be considered as the procedure of choice for obesity."

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/16839478/

post-269170-14547913125357_thumb.jpg